New iPod?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

The current iPods have built-in USB capability. All they need is the proper cable. You could hook up a camera now, with Apple's cable and a simple adapter. USB 2.0 is fully backward compatible with 1.1.

All they need is the software.

Alas, it's not easy. Actually, it's probably not possible at all.

USB is a protocol that requires 1 computer (with a controller) and as many devices as you like. Something is either a controller or a device. And as the ipod links up to a computer, it's a device.

The USB spec doesn't include device-to-device connections. They're not possible. You need a controller to run the whole thing.

Firewire, on the other hand, does support device-to-device connections. So they could do it with a Firewire camera. But with USB, I doubt there's any chance of that happening.

Amorya
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

Alas, it's not easy. Actually, it's probably not possible at all.

USB is a protocol that requires 1 computer (with a controller) and as many devices as you like. Something is either a controller or a device. And as the ipod links up to a computer, it's a device.

The USB spec doesn't include device-to-device connections. They're not possible. You need a controller to run the whole thing.

Firewire, on the other hand, does support device-to-device connections. So they could do it with a Firewire camera. But with USB, I doubt there's any chance of that happening.

Amorya

Actually it is possible and relatively simple. USB 2.0 has a revision called On-The-Go that is a negotionation protocol for 2 slave USB devices supporting OTG to talk to each other, of course this requires both devices to support it. However embedded USB host chips (for hosting USB devices on a non PC platform) are readily available, no such chips exist for FireWire. Adding USB - USB communication to the iPod is indeed quite possible (not necessarily without a hardware revision), Apple just hasn't chosen to do it.

Relevant links:

On-The-Go

Embedded Host Chip from Phillips
  • Reply 23 of 30
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    OK we can debate all this video and picture stuff, it's nice and yes tonton it will make it into the iPod eventually, I mean can you imagine how much space the iPod will have in a few years? It would be retarded not to add video/picture input. HOWEVER: at present, can anyone tell me why Apple forgot yet AGAIN to add a mic/line in?
  • Reply 24 of 30
    How can no one care about a mic, is no one in college? I thought everyone here was.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

How can no one care about a mic, is no one in college? I thought everyone here was.

I care, I just need an iPod is all
  • Reply 26 of 30
    The iPod parody at www.somethingawful.com is great.

Also about the iPod drive not spinning down: I used to exclusively use it for AIFF playback for over half a year. Don't tell me it will overheat. It won't. I used it for as long as the battery would let me. Besides Apple can engineer their way out of that problem. 2.5" drives are not acceptable, they are too big.

Now about that mic...on the fly mp4 plus recording would rock the casbah as far as I'm concerned!