g5 powerbooks confirmed ;)

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

...it wouldn't surprise me at all to see a 12-15-17 G4 line, along with 15-17 G5 line....

It would me, but then again my thinking may be flawed. The G4 MPC7457 has 58 million transistors. The G5 has 52 million transistors. IBM's yields??? Motorola's yields??? G4 needs L3 cache($$'s) to really keep up with a G5. Based on this, the G4 won't be less expensive, and quite possibly more expensive. How would the powerbook G4/G5 price structure shake out?
  • Reply 42 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

It would me, but then again my thinking may be flawed. The G4 MPC7457 has 58 million transistors. The G5 has 52 million transistors. IBM's yields??? Motorola's yields??? G4 needs L3 cache($$'s) to really keep up with a G5. Based on this, the G4 won't be less expensive, and quite possibly more expensive. How would the powerbook G4/G5 price structure shake out?

[best monty python voice] Oh, this is easy! [/best monty python voice]

we really don't know what IBM is charging Apple for the G5's. Consider the fact that IBM sunk incredible amounts of money into the new plant, and obviously some serious cash into the G5 dev. They want to earn that back before they start handing out free G5 chips.

also, Apple could easily play with margins to accomodate a G4 line (based on OLD TECHNOLOGY at this point) and a G5 line based on the newest, most expensive crap around.

that said, i'm not convinced this is going to happen, just part of a late night ramble. i still say that regardless of the G4-moto / G5 IBM issues, Apple should have three laptop lines, and three desktop lines.
  • Reply 43 of 43
    The Powerbook G5 will have a 20" screen. The slogan for Apple's campaign will be, "a G5 for 5G's!"

For no other reason but spite, the 15" G4 will be downgraded. It will be powered by a 500mhz G3, airport antennas will be moved next to the battery and reduced 90% in size, VGA ports only, OS9 installed, and firewire can be added via the new pcmcia slot. Steve Jobs will personally spit in every box.