The earth is square. The bible says so!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was fumbling around on the net last night, and I discovered ?THE TRUTH? ? and found it quite humorous, yet terribly frightening at the same time.



Why I find it humorous is obviously (aside from the text itself being a satire) because people actually believe this stuff. And I can?t help but laugh my ass off thinking about it.



That is also the reason that I find it terrifying. The fact that reasonably intelligent, reasonably educated people can remove themselves so far from reality, and believe something as ridiculous as a flat earth at the center of the universe (all based on a literal reading of the bible of course.) And I can?t help but be scared that these people are wandering around in normal society; and could be handling our bank accounts, processing cable subscriptions, driving around in cars, or delivering the pizza I just ordered. Scary as hell, man.





What do you literalists think? (if there are any left here)







(Oh, and anyone here that says they?re from Idaho is a liar.)
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 27
    jrcjrc Posts: 804member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by DiscoCow

    I was fumbling around on the net last night, and I discovered ?THE TRUTH? ? and found it quite humorous, yet terribly frightening at the same time.



    Why I find it humorous is obviously (aside from the text itself being a satire) because people actually believe this stuff. And I can?t help but laugh my ass off thinking about it.



    That is also the reason that I find it terrifying. The fact that reasonably intelligent, reasonably educated people can remove themselves so far from reality, and believe something as ridiculous as a flat earth at the center of the universe (all based on a literal reading of the bible of course.) And I can?t help but be scared that these people are wandering around in normal society; and could be handling our bank accounts, processing cable subscriptions, driving around in cars, or delivering the pizza I just ordered. Scary as hell, man.





    What do you literalists think? (if there are any left here)







    (Oh, and anyone here that says they?re from Idaho is a liar.)




    BOO! Honk Honk!
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Where's my damn pizza?!
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Revelations is the Twin Peaks of the Bible.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Does no one else have something to say on this matter?







    ...Bueller...Bueller...Bueller?
  • Reply 5 of 27
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I think that's ridiculous, and I'm a Christian.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Of course it's ridiculous, the world is obviously a flat, circular disc



    Or a sphere. One of those two. Because I've seen a lunar eclipse and the earth's shadow was curved on the moon, so I know that the Earth must at least be circular.



    That site was a joke anyway.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

    Of course it's ridiculous, the world is obviously a flat, circular disc



    Or a sphere. One of those two. Because I've seen a lunar eclipse and the earth's shadow was curved on the moon, so I know that the Earth must at least be circular.



    That site was a joke anyway.




    blasphemy! the lunar eclipse is the moon being devouered by a giant wolf!



    btw, nice to see a fellow minneapolite
  • Reply 8 of 27
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by CosmoNut

    I think that's ridiculous, and I'm a Christian.



    Well, I think that's ridiculous too, and I'm a Kopfian!
  • Reply 9 of 27
    The idea that the world in the center of the universe is ridiculous.



    Everyone knows it sits on the back of a space turtle, which is supported by four elephants.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Wait ... is the moon cheddar or blue cheese?
  • Reply 11 of 27
    In High School I dated a chick who believed in Wicca (some scary witch thing). She believed that the earth came from some dude's seminal fluid.



    What the hell did I care, she was hot. We created lots of mini-earths in our short relationship. ZING!



    (that joke could have been a lot dirtier
  • Reply 12 of 27
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Giaguara

    Wait ... is the moon cheddar or blue cheese?



    Green cheese, Giaguara, not yellow or blue cheese. It's green because it's been sitting up in the sky rotting for so long.



    And rotting is not due to microorganisms, it's because of... because of... God's will! Yeah, that's it! Whenever someone leaves cheese out too long, God punishes them by making their cheese green and inedible.



    Anyone who disagrees with me is a heathen and will burn in Hell! Giaguara, believing that the moon is cheese is not enough, you must believe that it is green as well!
  • Reply 13 of 27
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights

    Revelations is the Twin Peaks of the Bible.



    Best. Reply. Ever.



    Succinct and to the point...



    Screed
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Willoughby

    She believed that the earth came from some dude's seminal fluid.





    Damn, I'd hate to see what happens when he urinates.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

    Originally posted by CosmoNut

    I think that's ridiculous, and I'm a Christian.



    Do you think that it's ridiculous because the earth has been proven to be a sphere? Or because (most of) the bible dictates that the earth is flat an immobile?



    From this link:



    Quote:

    1 Chronicles 16:30: ?He has fixed the earth firm, immovable.?



    Psalm 93:1: ?Thou hast fixed the earth immovable and firm ...?



    Psalm 96:10: ?He has fixed the earth firm, immovable ...?



    Psalm 104:5: ?Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken.?



    Isaiah 45:18: ?...who made the earth and fashioned it, and himself fixed it fast...?



    Who knows? Maybe it?s all just a metaphor or parable to base our lives on or something.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by DiscoCow

    Damn, I'd hate to see what happens when he urinates.



    Kidney stones...
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Giaguara

    Kidney stones...





    Are they Evil Kidney stones?



    *raises pinky to lip*





    [/Dr. Evil]
  • Reply 18 of 27
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Don't forget. Scientist used to think that draining the blood from sick people and smearing bird droppings on their feet would cure them.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Scott

    Don't forget. Scientist used to think that draining the blood from sick people and smearing bird droppings on their feet would cure them.



    Sounds like the sort of crap New Age Gurus dish out as "cures" for a $100 a throw..



    & people are cuing up....Go figure...?
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Scott

    Don't forget. Scientist used to think that draining the blood from sick people and smearing bird droppings on their feet would cure them.



    I?m sure they developed these techniques using the scientific method.



    No question about it.









    At all.
Sign In or Register to comment.