ASP or PHP?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    WebObjects is expensive, poorly documented, and still has some other issues that we've brought up on these boards in the past. Furthermore, I can't deploy WebObjects on a linux box and expect that to be supported by Apple. That I just can't deal with.

My company spent a few months evaluating development environments for deploying our Content Management System, and we eventually settled on JSP. It simply made the most sense. To deploy in WebObjects, it would cost our clients $700 plus the cost of the CMS. On top of that, they couldn't deploy on linux. WebObjects is really cool, and I want to like it, but it has issues that keep it from, quite honestly, being practical to me.

In regards to ASP vs. PHP... I think for you, PHP is going to be a better bet. Especially if you're not going to use a Windows box for your development. If you're only going to develop on a Mac, you can't take advantage of the wonderful dev tools for ASP. We actually just deployed an ASP site for a client. We were looking at PHP and ASP, and ultimately, the client chose an NT based web host that was all set up for us to use ASP and an Access database. This actually made development incredibly easy, and took a lot less time than PHP would have.

So my advice, learn PHP over ASP. We've written in pretty much everything, which is great, because it means we have the luxury of choosing the right dev environment for custom jobs on a client by client basis. But if it came down to ASP or PHP, and I could only be proficient in one... PHP.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    Thanks Lo-cash

I bought a PHP/Mysql book last night, and we are looking into a training course.

At the moment I am doing all the web development for our company and we are being asked to do more and more, so We want (and need) something that we can get a quick return on the time and effort of learning. Initially it will be we do all things our way and maybe down the line I will learn ASP as well.

But all I want to do now is get my head around PHP and Mysql.

J-E-O