New iPod for Women Only?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I thought I'd point out (sorry if someone else has mentioned it) that all of Apple's new colorful iPod ads / banners depict women using the device...

I wonder if they're making a push to sell the product to more women, I wouldn't be surprised if most iPod owners were men.

Check them out below.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/

Anyway... i find it interesting...

NeilyB

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NeilyB

I thought I'd point out (sorry if someone else has mentioned it) that all of Apple's new colorful iPod ads / banners depict women using the device...

I wonder if they're making a push to sell the product to more women, I wouldn't be surprised if most iPod owners were men.

Check them out below.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/

Anyway... i find it interesting...

NeilyB

I don't know. I thought this first too, but the yellow/orange one could be a guy. So could the purple one. But at first glance, they all depict women.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

I don't know. I thought this first too, but the yellow/orange one could be a guy. So could the purple one. But at first glance, they all depict women.

Yea, I think the leftmost and the purple ones are male... look at the shoulder structure on the first one, and the hands/fingers on the purple one... pretty burly for women...
  • Reply 3 of 24
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    They're all chicks.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    I think the purple figure has a sort of Lenny Kravitz thing going on. I assumed it was a guy.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Well, just to be kind to everyone out there, here they all are:

I think the purple one could be a guy, too. I can almost see some facial hair, I think.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Well, my wife certainly loves her new iPod.

She won't even let me borrow the darn think
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

They're all chicks.

Crikey man! You have to look at the bone and muscle structure! The purple guy has a waist no woman would ever have... (unless, of course, he was in drag!)

Look at the deltoids on the guy in yellow... a woman with delts like that would be a world class bodybuilder!

I'd hate to see who you bring home from a dark bar after a few drinks...
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:

I can almost see some facial hair, I think.

It could be a lunch lady, Lunch ladies have facial hair..
  • Reply 9 of 24
    The grape flavored ad is a guy: examine his clothing.

The tangerine flavor is probaby just a plump-looking woman. Those bracelets and that hat make it more convincing.

When they're women, they appeal to women because they think "they're for women, too!" and when guys see it they think "she's hot, I should get one" and go out to buy one. Simple marketing tactic. I like the lime and strawberry ads.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Purple and Tangerine are definately guys.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    who cares
  • Reply 12 of 24
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    The ads reach out to everyone. Females attract attention from both genders.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

who cares

Neily B.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    hey, some people study traffic patterns of microscopic organisms, i study advertising.

NeilyB
  • Reply 15 of 24
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    You know what this reminds me of? This.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    The ads are really not that androgynous.

The purple and orange ads seem like males.

The others seem like females.

It seems that Apple is going after a specific demographic... the trendsetters generally and female trendsetters specifically.

But the great thing about the new ad campaign is that the silhouetted iPod users could be anyone, really.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    placebo, now that's funny.

neilyb
  • Reply 18 of 24
    The four ads represent one of each gender.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

The ads are really not that androgynous.

The purple and orange ads seem like males.

The others seem like females.

It seems that Apple is going after a specific demographic... the trendsetters generally and female trendsetters specifically.

But the great thing about the new ad campaign is that the silhouetted iPod users could be anyone, really.

Like thin, bosomy men in drag, even!

Hmm, has anyone gotten a 20 or 40 gig iPod, yet? And if so does this colorful marketing spread to new packaging, perhaps?
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Has anyone seen the Kaufman?s (maybe JC Penny) ads on TV, the people in that drawing form too, look just like those of Apple's new iPod campaign. \