General consensus of current G5 owners

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm curious to know if you are pleased with your purchase, and is the G5 (so far the 1.6gig & 1.8gig) all that you hoped it would be as far as user experience, quality and speed?

The reason I ask is that I remember when certain G4's were released there were a glut of complaints about quality problems that seem to be absent in the release of the G5, at least I hope so!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    im interested in hearing about noise levels

when the machine is running all out

could any g5 owners post their experiences..
  • Reply 2 of 33
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    What can I say? It appears to be a fine, well made product and runs rings around the Beige G3 I have. I never owned a G4. It seems to be as quiet as the Beige G3 desktop. I doubt that I'll ever push it to the limit to know what the maximum sound level is. It is quiet when running games like Unreal Tournament 2003. I like it. It's a 1.6 GHz model with combo drive and 768 MB of RAM.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy

What can I say? It appears to be a fine, well made product and runs rings around the Beige G3 I have. I never owned a G4. It seems to be as quiet as the Beige G3 desktop. I doubt that I'll ever push it to the limit to know what the maximum sound level is. It is quiet when running games like Unreal Tournament 2003. I like it. It's a 1.6 GHz model with combo drive and 768 MB of RAM.

i meant can you hear the fans at all ?

i have a pc & i went to a lot of trouble to silence it

never used a g3 so no idea how it compares.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    The one on display at CompUSA was whisper quiet, but then again I really didn't put it through the paces. A lot quieter than the P1 I use at work.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    To my ear, it is as quiet as the older PCs and Macs, back when the processors ran fairly cool and the fan didn't have much of a job to do.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    jpjp Posts: 19member
    Quote:

Originally posted by madmax559

im interested in hearing about noise levels

when the machine is running all out

could any g5 owners post their experiences..

We just got a 1.8 in at work. I installed it yesterday when no one else was in and so it was just the Macs in the studio running. It is *much* quieter than my MDD at home. Seems to be nearly as quiet as the old G4 (400Mhz) that it replaces.

JP.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy

It is quiet when running games like Unreal Tournament 2003. I like it. It's a 1.6 GHz model with combo drive and 768 MB of RAM.

How is UT2003 on it?? Which video card did you get?
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by OSXaddict

How is UT2003 on it?? Which video card did you get?

My son is trying out UT2003 demo and says it is very good. We have the standard graphics card. We are not expert gamers, so don't just take our word for it. I watched him play and the graphics seemed smooth and responsive.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    I am LOVING my 1.6 ghz model. It's my first mac, and it's everything I had hoped it would be.

Noise levels are fine. You can hear a faint hum comming from it, but its more soothing than annoying

And i dunno why everyone hates the keyboard that come with it. It's very sturdy and feels good to the touch.

P.S. My machine has a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra and the base 256 MB of ram (although i am going to buy two more 512 mb sticks next weekend)
  • Reply 10 of 33
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'm drooling over my 1.8.

It's quiet in normal use (WAY more quiet than my Dad's Quicksilver 800), and even when it begins to crank up, it doesn't fill the room with noise. Best of all, it's white noise, not the grating electric noise of the fans on most PCs.

Tip: To hear the fans crank up, run Techtool Deluxe or repair permissions on your HD. The noise is very satisfying.

Everyday use is incredibly zippy. Windows resize perfectly, even Safari and iTunes windows. I mean, smoother than XP on a high-end machine. (BTW, I used XP a couple of days ago to see what you guys were gushing about, and I was not impressed.)

And Studio MX runs extremely quickly. I brought my friend over (a PC guy, thinking of switching) to impress him, and he left in awe. Flash launches in THREE BOUNCES. He said that on his XP mahine (a fast one, 2.4 GHz), Flash took over fifteen seconds to launch.

When I import music off CDs, I get an average of about 17X speed, which is mostly limited by the Superdrive. Copying files, on the other hand, is very fast. 5 MB file copy is an instantaneous affair.

I am very impressed with my purchase, and I'll have to post again when I get UT 2k3.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by hyperb0le

And i dunno why everyone hates the keyboard that come with it. It's very sturdy and feels good to the touch.

When you have owned a few macs, you'll feel differently. Suddenly, using a keyboard that doesn't match your the colour of your powermac will become intolerable. Just like using a blueberry keyboard and a lime mouse with a tangerine iMac
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by PizzaBoy

When you have owned a few macs, you'll feel differently. Suddenly, using a keyboard that doesn't match your the colour of your powermac will become intolerable. Just like using a blueberry keyboard and a lime mouse with a tangerine iMac

Well, i understand that aspect of it, and while an aluminum, keyboard would have been awesome, the white one isn't nearly as bad as a blueberry keyboard with lime imac or anything. In a way, it matches the style of os x (brushed metal = tower, aqua = keyboard/mouse). Yes, it would be nice to get a matching keyboard, but lots of people have been talking like the keyboad not matching perfectly is the end of the world.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:

I am annoyed by this day in and day out. I have a white pro keyboard, the one that shipped with my G4 cube broke (a black one) so I got a new one. When I got it, they only made the white ones. So I have a white pro keyboard, a black pro mouse, and a brushed Al powermate. Doesn't match, makes me angry, but I'll deal with it untill this thing goes down. I have a feeling it's going to be around for a while though. Running for 3 years now with no problems at all. I am in love with macs. Never had a wintell box in my house and never will. My mac history goes all the way back to my dad's first mac, the Mac Plus in 1986.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    jpjp Posts: 19member
    Quote:

It's really not that jarring when it's sat next to the G5 and it does seem to be a pretty good keyboard. It feels a lot better than the older pro keyboard I got with my MDD. Kind of a bit silkier almost. Also with the USB ports at the back you can properly see the LEDs on USB dongles (Bluetooth, USB flash memory things)
  • Reply 15 of 33
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I am annoyed by this day in and day out. I have a white pro keyboard, the one that shipped with my G4 cube broke (a black one) so I got a new one. When I got it, they only made the white ones. So I have a white pro keyboard, a black pro mouse, and a brushed Al powermate. Doesn't match, makes me angry, but I'll deal with it untill this thing goes down. I have a feeling it's going to be around for a while though. Running for 3 years now with no problems at all. I am in love with macs. Never had a wintell box in my house and never will. My mac history goes all the way back to my dad's first mac, the Mac Plus in 1986.

My original black one broke so I ordered one from a company on ebay. They have tons of the last black w/eject/volume etc before Apple canceled them. I tried my wife's white one for a week before I broke down and found them on ebay. That is the only place to get them. I will probably do the same when i get my G5, go get another one on ebay.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Everyday use is incredibly zippy. Windows resize perfectly, even Safari and iTunes windows. I mean, smoother than XP on a high-end machine.

!! are you serious !! I thought people were saying window resizing was still a problem even on the dual 2ghz.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

!! are you serious !! I thought people were saying window resizing was still a problem even on the dual 2ghz.

Well, it's more than perfect, in my opinion.

Even if the border in XP resizes quickly, the roughness of the scaling of the fill is really nauseating.

But quote me one this: The G5 window resize is quite satisfactory. Especially in Finder windows.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    yeay!! <dances on table>
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Does anyone know of or have a G5 that has the (legal) beta of Panther running on it?
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

yeay!! <dances on table>

Don't you have an Applestore in your town?