Who is buying a new PowerBook?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 336
    G5 1.6 GHz or PowerBook 15" G4 1GHz?
  • Reply 62 of 336
    i will buy the combo 15"(no backlit keyboard though!!!!!!!!)why?
  • Reply 63 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by axdigital

i will buy the combo 15"(no backlit keyboard though!!!!!!!!)why?

Add it for $69 US
  • Reply 64 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

Add it for $69 US

ya i just noticed that too. under the keyboard menu
  • Reply 65 of 336
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    I'm going to be picking up either the base 15 or 17, won't be till the end of the year though. I want Panther to be shipped with the pb, and I have to save up for it still anyway lol.
  • Reply 66 of 336
    Well, I've decided to go with the new 1.25GHz model rather than picking up a 1GHz TiBook. Partly because, as I sit here typing, my 667 keeps dropping the AirPort signal...

I can't make up my mind, however, if I should just go get one at the store, or order online and take advantage of the edu iPod rebate. I was going to give the iPod as a Christmas present, but I'd have to cut the UPC bars out of the box to get the rebate, and how crappy would that look as a gift, a box with holes? Apple wants too much money to change the two 256MB sticks to a single 512, and too much money to upgrade the 4200RPM drive to a 5200, so I could easily live with the stock config at the store.

I think I'll call the store on Sunday and, if they haven't sold out of the damn things, toot off and pick one up. I will save hours by not having to compulsively check my online order status every 20 minutes...
  • Reply 67 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

i couldnt resist the additional landscape of the 17 in...

configured pretty closely with edu discount the 17 in was only 318 dollars more than the 15 in. So I figured since 1500 of it was paid for by my grad school I would step into the behemouth.

Chemist eh?

How did you get "them" to cut in $1500?
  • Reply 68 of 336
    Just bought my father a 1 GHz Combo drive model - got all kinds of goodies with it - plus 2 iSight cameras for us.

I sent it to Florida, and I'm flying there next week to help show him how to use OS X. I'm kind of worried, because OS 9 is all he knows. Also, these new machines will not boot up OS 9. If he hates OS X, I'm in trouble, for he was perfectly happy with his G3 233 PowerBook.

Next week, I'm going to buy a new iMac 1.25. In the back of my mind, I'm wondering if I'll fall in love with the new PowerBook, and buy one of those instead.
  • Reply 69 of 336
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Sending to Current Hardware...
  • Reply 70 of 336
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Got one! (well, bought - it's not here yet)

Just ordered:

Powerbook 12"

Superdrive

256MB RAM

60GB Hard Disk

Airport Extreme

Applecare

40GB iPod

HP Deskjet

The iPod's for a friend (we ordered together to get the discount - I already have a 10GB iPod). But the rest should see me through uni!

Amorya
  • Reply 71 of 336
    I'm pretty sure that I'm going to bite the bullet and get one of the new PB, but can't decide which. I was hoping for some buying advice from all the knowledgable members of AppleInsider. Right now I'm typing away on a ram maxed Pismo which I love dearly, but is beginning to show its age. Most of my requirements revolve around general word-processing, Keynote/Powerpoint lecutre presentations, and statistical work I'm doing on SPSS 11, which is optimized for the G4 by the good old people at MacKiev for SPSS, for my Phd disseration. Now, I do want have a Superdrive as I have a 15 month old and I am sick of using iMovie and then having to hook up my PB to a VCR to record my iMovies to share with the Grandparents. Other than those basic requirements for my research I don't have any other demanding needs. My real question is, do I save a couple of hundred buck and go for a 12" Superdrive Rev B, a jacked-up 1Ghz 15' Alu, or the 1.25 Ghz 15" as according to my wife this laptop has got to last me at the least 2-3 years like my beloved Pismo. So folks chime in and give me your 2¢.
  • Reply 72 of 336
    Hey guys,

Well i'm going to order my 12inch w/ superdrive tonight!

I can't tell you how exciting it is after a summer long wait. I have a question before i place my order though:

Should i get the 720 RAM through Apple now or should i just get the stock 256 and buy cheaper RAM from a thrid party? 720 costs $270!! that seems awful expensive. I could also go to 512 for $90, then wait till the 1gig chip comes down in price in a few months, right?
  • Reply 73 of 336
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cris84

Hey guys,

Well i'm going to order my 12inch w/ superdrive tonight!

I can't tell you how exciting it is after a summer long wait. I have a question before i place my order though:

Should i get the 720 RAM through Apple now or should i just get the stock 256 and buy cheaper RAM from a thrid party? 720 costs $270!! that seems awful expensive. I could also go to 512 for $90, then wait till the 1gig chip comes down in price in a few months, right?

Never get memory through Apple... way overpriced. Go buy a 512 stick from Crucial ($130) and install yourself, or some of the other places go a little lower than that.
  • Reply 74 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by rossjj

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to bite the bullet and get one of the new PB, but can't decide which. I was hoping for some buying advice from all the knowledgable members of AppleInsider. Right now I'm typing away on a ram maxed Pismo which I love dearly, but is beginning to show its age. Most of my requirements revolve around general word-processing, Keynote/Powerpoint lecutre presentations, and statistical work I'm doing on SPSS 11, which is optimized for the G4 by the good old people at MacKiev for SPSS, for my Phd disseration. Now, I do want have a Superdrive as I have a 15 month old and I am sick of using iMovie and then having to hook up my PB to a VCR to record my iMovies to share with the Grandparents. Other than those basic requirements for my research I don't have any other demanding needs. My real question is, do I save a couple of hundred buck and go for a 12" Superdrive Rev B, a jacked-up 1Ghz 15' Alu, or the 1.25 Ghz 15" as according to my wife this laptop has got to last me at the least 2-3 years like my beloved Pismo. So folks chime in and give me your 2¢.

My Pismo is still rolling along too. My next decision is whether to give it to my son or sell it and get an iPod plus cash. What a fabulous computer it has been! Especiall with the 48G IBM 5400 RPM drive I put in 18 months ago.

I feel your pain re: iMovie and a VCR. I have a digital-8 vidcam, but it is still a pain. I'm looking forward to burning my first DVD next week! Nothing like being on the scabby edge of technology.

Anyways, it sounds like maybe you'd do well with the 12" and a monitor? The monitor would really help with the video, which I suspect you'd be doing at home; the other stuff like SPSS is mostly terminal/GUI stuff which won't cause you to curse the 12" screen. You could get an Apple 15" LCD or even an old 17" for the cost of the 15".

I'm getting a 15, but I sure do like the 12, especially at 1GHz.
  • Reply 75 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

I think I'll call the store on Sunday and, if they haven't sold out of the damn things, toot off and pick one up. I will save hours by not having to compulsively check my online order status every 20 minutes...

Okay, I lied, I just placed my order online. The edu rebate on the iPod was too good to pass up, and the deal isn't available in the stores. Ship date for PowerBook 15-inch 1.25GHz SuperDrive (stock configuration): on or before 9/19. 10GB iPod: on or before 9/22.

Now to go order some RAM and start checking my order status...
  • Reply 76 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

Okay, I lied, I just placed my order online. The edu rebate on the iPod was too good to pass up, and the deal isn't available in the stores.

The edu rebate and discount are available in the stores . . . the Apple Stores in Albany, NY and Chestnut Hil, MA have both provided that discount. Regardless, congrats on the purchase.
  • Reply 77 of 336
    I bought a 1.25 standard config w/superdrive. My first powerbook.

Called the glendale sore and they had one left at 1:30 this afternoon. she held it for me until I got there at 4.

so far it is quite impressive. surprisingly responsive for a an OSX machine with only 512 of RAM.
  • Reply 78 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by jaske

The edu rebate and discount are available in the stores . . . the Apple Stores in Albany, NY and Chestnut Hil, MA have both provided that discount. Regardless, congrats on the purchase.

I know the stores honor the edu discount on hardware but I was going by Apple's terms on the iPod deal: "Buy a qualifying iBook or PowerBook and an iPod from the Apple Store for Education Individuals or a participating campus reseller between June 29 and September 27, 2003."

Well, no harm done. With the price of gas being what it is, I actually saved a few bucks by not driving 50 miles to the store.
  • Reply 79 of 336
    It looks like the 12" with an iCurve (like Masker), my old 19" display (for spanning) and bluetooth keyboard and mouse have finally hit the sweet spot!!!!!

I'll need two more months to get the money though.

Then in one year I'll be ready for whatever G5 I can afford!8)
  • Reply 80 of 336
    I ordered a 15" superdrive, 5400rpm hd, 512 ram (already ordered another 512 chip), and a 10GB iPod. Out the door (after rebates, before tax) for $2570... pretty nice deal in my opinion! My first mac