Case/appearance change w/ next iBook?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Only because it's the cheapest. People in the iBooks target market would buy the 14 if it didn't cost 300 more. Put two identical iBooks in front of people, same spec and SAME PRICE, and 2/3rds would choose the 14". It isn't a product for the road warrior segment, it just landed there by accident.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You honestly think that students - especially K-12 students (the iBook's target market) would choose a 14" over a 12"? Some of them probably couldn't even carry the 14", let alone balance it on their desks.
  • Reply 42 of 43
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    K-12 students aren't buying these, parents and school boards are buying them for them, because they're the cheapest. I'm pretty sure the school boards buy the 999 (899 edu) models. If 14"ers cost that much, that's what the students would get.

And, not that it matters, but people keep glossing the part where I mention that WHEN apple makes it an all 14" lineup, the machine will be smaller than the current 14, probably just a hair bigger footprint than the current 12, almost the same weight, and probably a bit thinner.

K-6 doesn't need these (or any) machines anyway. 899 spent there is just 899 wasted. 7-12, you can make an argument, but again a cheap desktop is fine for the e-mail/internet/word processing 99% of these kids will do. However, the classroom in a cart is a great idea for a lot of school buildings, cheaper in the long run than wiring a room (and wasting a room) with PC's.
  • Reply 43 of 43
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Unless Apple isn't selling any 12"iBooks, why would they drop them? There are alot of good ideas in these fora, but I think a number of you are trying too hard to be marketing geniuses.

Apple will always need a sub$1000 laptop ... ie iBooks need to be affordable to schools.

Consumers should have access to the fastest processor speeds that are practical in the price range regardless how it relates to the PowerBooks.

iBooks are still portable iMacs.

A subnotebook iBook would be like the eMate and I don't think would hit that cost:benefit sweet spot.

PowerBooks can take care of themselves with archetecture and expandibility...and could use the subnotebook form.

iBooks should come with a variety of software bundles .... software bundles sell computers in stores!

Case and appearance changes?

They should expand their color range and integrate an iPod-like scroll wheel under a hidden door to give it the feature of having an iPod on your laptop or at least make it a USB periferal.