PowerBook Performance

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph Except that, if you look at the benchmarks, the G4 isn't coming up short...

...Motorola's done enough wrong that we don't need to make up shortcomings.

Okay then, well how about this: imagine how groovy everything would be had things updated/skootched upward with the G4 these past 4 or so years. That's what I'm talking about. An entire year would pass, in a couple of cases, before a small 100MHz bump.

I'm not making anything up, really.

Yeah, I guess the G4 is okay after all. But it should be further along and a bit higher, wouldn't you agree? That's technically a "shortcoming". Had everything gone like it should have, wouldn't we be sitting in the 1.6-2.0GHz area with the G4?

I'm not inclined to give them any slack these days...

• Reply 42 of 49
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Pandoering Thanks Pscates. Must say that I truly enjoy your posts...

...(I?m a millionaire?)

a) Thanks for the kind words. Appreciate it.

b) Wanna buy me a PowerBook?

I'll write entire posts dedicated to you from the comfort of my sofa or patio!

Hey, I gave it a shot...
  • Reply 43 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chagi

I'm a little torn myself, because note taking in school can easily be done on a Mac, but I'm not sure what my more advance programming courses will be using as a platform (I've heard Unix is a major core of it). We're currently using Java, which means any platform goes. Also going to be doing MIS as my major, so lots of database work. Decisions, decisions.

Sounds like a 15" PowerBook G4 running Mac OS X 10.3 would be rather excellent. If they force you to use Access for some database, you've always got Virtual PC.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    Quote:

I was reviewing PC laptops today, after the introduction of the new "refresh" of G4 Powerbooks yesterday.

The Centrino chip is very good per clock cycle, as well as having very good power management. I think that it compares well to the mobile G4 chip, though the Intel chip frankly generates better numbers. The choice of video circuitry on the PC side of the fence is absolutely horrid though.

If you're even remotely interested in gaming, you need to buy a laptop that is approximately on par with the new 15" Powerbook. The Radeon 9600 is a very nice graphics chip indeed, but at least the "low end" 12" model has something that blows away everything that the PC laptops in the competitive price range sport. Integrated "Extreme" Intel graphics chips anyone? Bleck.

I think the choice between the two platforms mainly comes

down to what you need a laptop for. If you need ultra-portable design, I think that Apple offers far more than the competition. Multimedia abilities? Don't think I've ever seen a PC laptop with Firewire. Battery life? Tie between Centrino laptop and an Apple one.

I'm a little torn myself, because note taking in school can easily be done on a Mac, but I'm not sure what my more advance programming courses will be using as a platform (I've heard Unix is a major core of it). We're currently using Java, which means any platform goes. Also going to be doing MIS as my major, so lots of database work. Decisions, decisions.

Example of Centrino with better graphics.

http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/2...ntrino-15.html
  • Reply 45 of 49
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Good post.

OS X is a great programmer's platform, especially if you'll be working in a UNIX environment. As for Java, note that Mr. Java himself, James Gosling, is a PowerBook / OS X user.

As for databases, you have MySQL, postgreSQL, Berkeley DB, FileMaker, 4D...
  • Reply 46 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

After looking at those scores (hopefully not completely skewed) the only thing the centrino kills it in is Cinebench. Is this something highly optimized for the G4? If so why does the centrino piss on the G4 in this test?

The only thing I can say is wow, I am very happy to be getting a computer that is as fast as the PC side. Not to mention the OS and actual niceness of the hardware in comparison. Haha even my friends who know nothing about computers are happy for me...sure they are half joking but some of them are impressed buy it already...wait till they see it ; )

Look here @ http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/2...ntrino-15.html
  • Reply 47 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by yamp

Look here @ http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/2...ntrino-15.html

Quite impressive numbers, but is it normal that with 32-bit resolution you can generate MORE frames per second than with 16-bit? (see Quake benchmark).
  • Reply 48 of 49
    666666 Posts: 134member
    Hmmm, the only battle i'm having is to decide whether to get the 1.25 15" with superdrive next week, or without in 10 days and save $300 australian.

don't need superdrive, would like faster combo drive...

don't wanna wait.

hmmm
  • Reply 49 of 49
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    With the centrino I believe that PC's have better battery life now. But with performance the same in real PC portables instead of those 18lbs desktop replacements, the only thing we have to show is style and grace of the hardware and OS.