15" Powerbook - 1ghz v 1.25ghz

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    The fan on the new Alu has a different noise to it then the Ti. The Ti was very high pitched (if you have one you'll understand what i'm talking about) The Alu fan is very quiet.

I just unplugged the power adapter and its telling me 2 hours of time remaining but I know this is untrue. I had 50% battery power at Panera Bread (they have free wireless internet) and I got it down to 25% in an hour (just surfing the internet). When i got home I still had 40 minutes according to the timer and I got it down pretty low in around 40 minutes. I'm betting that 2 1/2 on normal tasks is very nice.

Another thing the Alu are really much cooler but still have a warm feeling to them. The only time you can't keep it on your lap is when you are playing some intense video games. Unreal Tournament. Wolfenstein, Tropico. Underneath the left handrest is gets freakin hot!

When I would play games on the Ti, the fan was loud enough to hear with the game sound up. The Alu is not even noticable when the volume is turned up.

I love answering questions, and I'll give as much detail as I can

Josiah
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Another thing is OWC has batteries for the Ti that claim to get 30% more battery time. I'm sure with lower time in the Alu that they will get a battery out for the new powerbooks.

If they can get about 65 Watt hour battery compared to the installed 47(?) Watt then that'll make a huge difference. I would buy one instantly.

Going from a 50 watt Ti battery to a 65 watt battery gives it 30% more capacity. That means if they made it for the Alu it would put it in the range of 33%-38% increase which is about another hour of time.

Josiah
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by howyoudoin

Another thing the Alu are really much cooler but still have a warm feeling to them. The only time you can't keep it on your lap is when you are playing some intense video games. Unreal Tournament. Wolfenstein, Tropico. Underneath the left handrest is gets freakin hot!

\ Uh-Oh...
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by howyoudoin

I just unplugged the power adapter and its telling me 2 hours of time remaining but I know this is untrue. I had 50% battery power at Panera Bread (they have free wireless internet) and I got it down to 25% in an hour (just surfing the internet). When i got home I still had 40 minutes according to the timer and I got it down pretty low in around 40 minutes. I'm betting that 2 1/2 on normal tasks is very nice.

I have found the battery meter to be very inaccurate on time as well. It showed 1:30 after my last charge, and it lasted 2 hours on a DVD. I show percent to give me a better idea of what's left in the battery.

Interesting comments about fan noise compared to the Ti. I never had one outside of an Apple store, so I'm not sure about the noise level. The Al Book is very quiet IMO, and rarely gets hot to touch.

Howyou, what do you feel about the speed compared to the Ti? It's plenty snappy for me.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    I have one question and its about the Energy Saver control panel. What's the difference between the DVD playback option and the longest battery life option.

If the longest battery life gives the longest battery life then why not use that when watching DVD's? Or does the screen turn off with longest battery on.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    One thing I didn't think about was the differing heat capacity values of Ti versus Al. Al is very conductive -- 0.215 cal per degree per gram --- while Ti is even better: 0.125 cal per degree per gram. This would mean that the Al is worse at distributing any heat made by the CPU. In other words, if the CPU ran just as hot in the Al, the Al would need much better cooling/fan systems, as the Al isn't radiating heat "naturally" like the Ti can. This assumes that the case is used --- at least in some way --- to radiate the heat away, and in a similar way for both machines.

Now, it seems like the Al is cooler, and the fans are on less than the Ti (anecdotal to be sure). This leads me to believe that the 74X7 processor in the Al book uses much, much less energy, and is therefore much cooler than the Ti, inherently. That's what the docs say, anyway, eh?
  • Reply 27 of 30
    thanks howyoudoin and you all for your replies.

I'm trying to recall as much info as possible in order to help me on the decision upgrading my Ti to a new al. This, i posted it in macnn, describing how my ti550 is:

------------

I have a (revB) ti550 768RAM. It gets very hot, and when you're charging batt, you can barely touch the upper-right side (where the ac adapter goes), whether on the bottom, side or near the kb. When watching a dvd, after 1 hour you feel uncomfortable handling it wearing shorts (the way i watch dvds, usually on bed)

Because of this much heat, fans come on very often. As soon as you are near constant 50% of cpu usage (not dificult with a 550 without L3 cache), 1st velocity fan comes on. It doesn't with just browsing, email..but it does just kicking photoshop hard for 3-4 minutes. If you insist on heavy cpu load, the 2nd fan comes then, and that one sounds like an helicopter (really).

This 2nd fan comes on as well playing quake or watching a dvd (>in 20 minutes movie time comes fan1, in another 20 comes fan2. thanks god i use headphones)

This, along with cpu performance , is my main reason to upgrade to the new aALUS, so please tell how silent they're.

anyone has dreamweaver mx or flash? my ti550 is slow to me (compared to same soft on cheap pIII pc). How fast/slow do you feel it? (like copying and pasting big tables with imges from one doc to another inside dweaver)

-----------------------

so, can you work without lagging on such apps? is it REALLY snappy?
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by 666

So, i've seen some peeps droppin' the benchmark action on the 1.25ghz powerbook, is it worth the extra money? Is it that much faster than the 1 ghz????

__________________________________________________ _____

Here is a site with Benchmarks on the old and new Powerbooks,

http://barefeats.com/al15.html

The new PB look impressive.

• Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by jindrich

thanks howyoudoin and you all for your replies.

I'm trying to recall as much info as possible in order to help me on the decision upgrading my Ti to a new al. This, i posted it in macnn, describing how my ti550 is:

------------

I have a (revB) ti550 768RAM. It gets very hot, and when you're charging batt, you can barely touch the upper-right side (where the ac adapter goes), whether on the bottom, side or near the kb. When watching a dvd, after 1 hour you feel uncomfortable handling it wearing shorts (the way i watch dvds, usually on bed)

Because of this much heat, fans come on very often. As soon as you are near constant 50% of cpu usage (not dificult with a 550 without L3 cache), 1st velocity fan comes on. It doesn't with just browsing, email..but it does just kicking photoshop hard for 3-4 minutes. If you insist on heavy cpu load, the 2nd fan comes then, and that one sounds like an helicopter (really).

This 2nd fan comes on as well playing quake or watching a dvd (>in 20 minutes movie time comes fan1, in another 20 comes fan2. thanks god i use headphones)

This, along with cpu performance , is my main reason to upgrade to the new aALUS, so please tell how silent they're.

anyone has dreamweaver mx or flash? my ti550 is slow to me (compared to same soft on cheap pIII pc). How fast/slow do you feel it? (like copying and pasting big tables with imges from one doc to another inside dweaver)

-----------------------

so, can you work without lagging on such apps? is it REALLY snappy?

Thanks for all the info.

Browsing around in Mac OS X and you'll notice how much faster this computer really is. Safari opens instantly (before the 1st bounce finishes). Right now i'm running 512mb of ram. My Ti has 768.

The area around the charger is about the same temp as the whole cpu. The hottest spot though would have to be underneath the left arm rest.

When I'm using the Alu it never sounds as loud as the 2nd fan that comes on in the Ti. I don't ever think I've heard more then one speed on the fan so far (when it does turn on). Watching Dvd's will not heat this computer up like the Ti but playing Quake 3 or Unreal will make it burn (i'm guessing the new video card puts out some heat).

Your in luck, I have dreamweave MX. You'll be astonished by the improvements in that program with this powerbook. Overall the computer is very quiet even the HD is quieter when reading and writing.

My friend has an emac and I thought that was snappy, this is much better. This is my first computer that makes OS X feel like Mac OS 9
  • Reply 30 of 30
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Keep in mind that panther will make things faster. I was using a friends computer who has panther (as he is a student dev) and using XBench I scored 62 in 10.2.6 and 86 in the latest build of panther (not sure if I can say what it is)