anti ripping protection on new cds

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Geez,

Talk about an industry in decline. They're suing pirates and bamboozling people that actually purchase the CDs! Talk about burning your candle from both ends.

My CD purchases have declined and I see no reason to purchase a CD especially over a DVD unless the CD is really good.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

I'm one of the guys who downloads what I need to to discern if I LIKE the music. Then if I think I might enjoy the CD, I will buy it. This is how the system should work. I don't get forced into buying something I've never heard, and the musicians don't get scammed because I buy nothing. And the record label gets to rake me over the coals with their inflated CD prices (even via Amazon), but not nearly as often as they used to.

Perfect.

At the moment i'm on a pretty slow connection so I rarely download music, I prefer to "have" it on CD. I do think it is wrong to pirate music but I do think that the RIAA are wrong in there intense pursual of those who are doing it. I know in some countries you can buy pirated CD's why not go after these too (maybe they are I don't know).

But stopping me ripping a CD I own onto a computer I also own is just plain wrong. I have purchased that music to enjoy how and wherever I please. For me CD's with copy protection taint the label and the artist when often it may not be there fault.

I'm glad that as I own a Mac as yet i've not come across a CD I couldn't rip.

The industry is so hypocritical, they play out there music across radio, play the video's non-stop on loads of channels, why can't they embrace this new media?

Music on the internet for me as well as Moogs serves as an advert for the music to buy, and i've bought more music since having access to the internet than before (admittedly I didn't have any money before I had the internet because I was quite young but that's not what i'd tell a market researcher).
  • Reply 23 of 38
    This is sooo going to help the industry's problem of CDs not selling!

Jeff
  • Reply 24 of 38
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I know they think it's ligit but it's not for me. I would return it as defective. Because it is.

I'm also having trouble copying some of the commercial software CDs I own, so I can "share" them with friends and colleagues.

Perhaps I should return those to the manufacturers as being "defective"?
  • Reply 25 of 38
    double post
  • Reply 26 of 38
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

They do. It's $9.99 for the cd. Get it from there and burn all the cds you want. Distribute them to friends who can't get iTMS and say "screw you" to the RIAA. Damn bastards.

Yes, because stealing is good!

Bah. Idiot.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

iTMS is all groovy and that, but what if he wants to rip the CD he bought as an AIFF and listen to it the way it's actually supposed to sound?

Damn bastards indeed, though. With you on that.

The quality of music from the iTMS is nearly indistinguishable from CD quality.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Yes, because stealing is good!

Bah. Idiot.

Dude, watch the name calling. I was being facetious. Chill out...
  • Reply 29 of 38
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Dude, watch the name calling. I was being facetious. Chill out...

Don't worry, his arrogant post was justified.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

I'm also having trouble copying some of the commercial software CDs I own, so I can "share" them with friends and colleagues.

Perhaps I should return those to the manufacturers as being "defective"?

Maybe if you couldn't install it on your computer... Notice that all he wants to is rip it into his computer...
  • Reply 31 of 38
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    copy protection is for losers.

return the disks as defective and let the group know that they can go to hell for letting arista do that.

BTW: ameda is also a company that make breastfeeding products (like breast pumps). What a stupid name. Hey, I'm starting a rock band called Gerber and I like to treat my 'fans' like shit. Don't waste your money on those losers.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    When Napoleon was in power in France, he suspended copyright laws for authors. People stopped writing books!

I'm not suggesting that musicians will suddenly quit writing music because the product of their hard labor is now available for free, but listening to most of the selections available on MP3.com and similar sites reveals that 99.9% is a bunch of incompetent amateur- hour rubbish, badly recorded in kids' 'bedroom studios'.

I dislike record companies as much as anyone else...but at least their A&R departments acted as a quality filter. Since the internet, ithe playing field has been leveled (good), anyone can release an album (good & bad), so it's now it's now cookie cutter hell (bad), and finding anything worth listening to is (un)lucky dip! The internet has allowed musical rabbits to rub shoulders with musical geniuses. Oh well.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Well putting out CDs that you can't listen to under normal circumstances that any CD should play under shouldn't be too good for sales either. But then again, my opinion is that almost all the music coming out these days is complete crap anyways, and people love it, so of course this listening-to-CDs-in-WMP-only crap will come into common place.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Don't worry, his arrogant post was justified.

Damn skippity.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Just ripped my new Massive Attack (Mezzanine) CD last night. No troubles, mate. Tangent: Teardrop is an absolutley amazing tune. These guys rock. With a name like Massive Attack you'd think they were Acid Metal or something, but no... they play the gamit. TehY OWnArz!11
  • Reply 37 of 38
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Damn skippity.

And he don't mean peanut butter folks!