G5 powerbook just a case of 'good solid engineering'

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 25
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    What I found most interesting about the soundbite is that he would touch the topic at all. Normally, I'd expect anyone but Jobs to just no-comment a question like this - but even shortly after WWDC someone from Apple pointed out the G5 would not appear in powerbooks for quite some time.

    This indicates to me at least that Apple fears people are holding back purchases in the hope of G5-books.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Yeah, that was pretty interesting, I think the trend at apple is SLOWLY inching towards being A LITTLE less secretive all the time. If you look at how products have been announced, and released, it just seems like apple is getting over the whole "way beyond" type stuff.



    I'm glad they addressed this though, because I am very close to getting a pbook(for school) and this little blurb leads me to believe g5 books won't be available for a WHILE.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    That article was a very interesting read. It also lends me to believe that they are trying to push towards a G5. They recognize that there is a need and desire for it.



    The one thing that they do mention, is that the G5s currently out there were meant for the desktop ONLY. As such, they hinted at the 970+, which is the low power variant of the G5.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Smircle

    What I found most interesting about the soundbite is that he would touch the topic at all. Normally, I'd expect anyone but Jobs to just no-comment a question like this - but even shortly after WWDC someone from Apple pointed out the G5 would not appear in powerbooks for quite some time.

    This indicates to me at least that Apple fears people are holding back purchases in the hope of G5-books.




    Bingo. I think this is Apple's way of letting us know that, yes, G5 PowerBooks ARE coming at some point, but don't expect them next month. If they said nothing at all, the expectation would be that they were due any minute. How many people just on this board have said they were skipping this PowerBook rev and waiting for the G5s?



    Processor transitions must be a real pain the butt, for the marketing folks more than the engineers!
  • Reply 5 of 25
    It was a pretty safe thing for them to say something now just after the refreshed the line. They are just letting any hold-outs know that the G5 won't be putting in a surprise introduction (ala 17" Powerbook) in the next couple of months. The statement really is quite clear: Buy now because otherwise you have at least the minimum product cycle to wait through. Kind of obvious.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    I am waiting for the Powerbook G5. I was VERY close to buying the new 15 1.25Ghz, but decided to hold off as I wasn't willing to spend $2500 on a laptop when I have a 12.1" iBook 800 and a Dual 1Ghz MDD Power Mac with Superdrive. I will wait the 6-8 months until there is a real POWERbook meaning ACTUAL DDR support, a better graphic card (even though the one in there now kicks ass), 4x superdrives, and 7200rpm 120GB HD standard...here's hopin for next summer. What a birthday gift to myself that would be.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 16,929member
    Well, I'll be in a pickle soon. My Pismo is pushing 4 years old. I have long been considering buying a G5 in the Spring. I could keep the Pismo for Word processing, e-mail, portable needs, etc.



    But, the problem is a G5 and a nice display is going to cost $3500 to $4,000. I won't have that much unless my stock goes up pretty far.



    Now, if I buy a 1.25GHZ Powerbook, I'd spend a lot less (probably $2500-2800 with tax and extras). I could keep the Pismo stationary and use it for printing and what not. I am drooling over a the new books, but there some problems. Particulary, the graphics card is not upgradable...which I consider to be my Pismo's central flaw. Secondly, it maxes out a 2GB...which is probably going to be tight four years from now. So, that means I'll be buying again four years later. Thirdly, I don't know if I need the portability and G5 will kick it's ass performance wise.



    I was thinking of buying a new PB after Panther comes out. I assume they won't bump the PB's until May, and there won;t be a G5 until Fall 2004 or Jan 2005.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    SDW, I think you can expect to be upgrading at least every four years anyway. I wouldn't want to be on a 333 MHz iMac right now.



    Yeah, the graphics aren't upgradable. But on the other hand, do you really play that many games? Even if you do, why use a Mac for it? I'm sure the Radeon 9600 will be an excellent graphics card at least a year from now, and at least passable two years down the road. Right now the oldest PowerBooks with passable graphics (ie QE compatible) are the late 2001 G4s, with 16 MB Radeon Mobility cards. They're not stellar but they're still perfectly usable for lower-end gaming and basic use.



    Also, if you think to four years back, the most you could put in the PowerBook back then (Lombard) was 512 MB. 512 MB is a good amount today, enough for OS X. 2 GB today will be just enough four years from now.



    I don't think you can expect any system to last you longer than four years and still have a perfectly comfortable amount of RAM and a perfectly good graphics card. By that time, it's been long enough in the computing world to move on to new standards that aren't backwards compatible. Blue G3s, for instance, are highly upgradeable, but they're limited by the fact that they just don't have the AGP slot that the industry has used since then. They can have 1 GB of RAM, which is lots, but they can't use 512 MB RAM chips. The same thing will happen to any machine you get, be it a PowerMac or a PowerBook.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:

    Originally posted by SDW2001

    I assume they won't bump the PB's until May, and there won;t be a G5 until Fall 2004 or Jan 2005.



    There'll be a lull in the expectation here, and everywhere in MacLand, for a few months (regarding upgraded machines, at least). Then come Jan 2004, it'll start again. G5 PB, G5 PB, G5 PB...



    The boards and rumour pages will heave with claims and counter-claims, this source and that source, hopes and predictions.



    You think the wait for the 15" at Paris was bad... that won't be half as bad as what's coming next year.



    \



    My NEW 15" SD (currently being built) will thoroughly be a part of my life by then - I won't want or need to buy. But Heaven help those who need a new portable in six months time or are trying to make the switch.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 16,929member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

    There'll be a lull in the expectation here, and everywhere in MacLand, for a few months (regarding upgraded machines, at least). Then come Jan 2004, it'll start again. G5 PB, G5 PB, G5 PB...



    The boards and rumour pages will heave with claims and counter-claims, this source and that source, hopes and predictions.



    You think the wait for the 15" at Paris was bad... that won't be half as bad as what's coming next year.



    \



    My NEW 15" SD (currently being built) will thoroughly be a part of my life by then - I won't want or need to buy. But Heaven help those who need a new portable in six months time or are trying to make the switch.




    I'm aware. I've been here since Jan/Feb 2000. Leaning more towards the 'book now anyway.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 16,929member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

    SDW, I think you can expect to be upgrading at least every four years anyway. I wouldn't want to be on a 333 MHz iMac right now.



    Yeah, the graphics aren't upgradable. But on the other hand, do you really play that many games? Even if you do, why use a Mac for it? I'm sure the Radeon 9600 will be an excellent graphics card at least a year from now, and at least passable two years down the road. Right now the oldest PowerBooks with passable graphics (ie QE compatible) are the late 2001 G4s, with 16 MB Radeon Mobility cards. They're not stellar but they're still perfectly usable for lower-end gaming and basic use.



    Also, if you think to four years back, the most you could put in the PowerBook back then (Lombard) was 512 MB. 512 MB is a good amount today, enough for OS X. 2 GB today will be just enough four years from now.



    I don't think you can expect any system to last you longer than four years and still have a perfectly comfortable amount of RAM and a perfectly good graphics card. By that time, it's been long enough in the computing world to move on to new standards that aren't backwards compatible. Blue G3s, for instance, are highly upgradeable, but they're limited by the fact that they just don't have the AGP slot that the industry has used since then. They can have 1 GB of RAM, which is lots, but they can't use 512 MB RAM chips. The same thing will happen to any machine you get, be it a PowerMac or a PowerBook.




    Can't disagree. Though, 3 years from now when I can't upgrade the video and the Ram is maxed...well, you know.



    For example: I bought a Pismo the day they came out. It had absolutely state-of-the-art graphics (8MB Mobility)...the first notebook with that chip I think. 3.5 years later and I can't play any recent game. I don't play a lot of games...but I like to now and then.



    I'm not one of those people who runs around bitching about mymachine's inability to run something due to its age...but it is a bit of a dilemma.



    As I said, I'm leaning more towards the book...and sooner rather than later. Definitely not until Panther though.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    You know what? Just seeing how things go in general (the time between updates and Apple's reputation for letting LOTS of time go by), I have to say that I'll be shocked - absolutely SHOCKED - to see any sort of G5-based PowerBook before next summer.



    I am officially going on record in saying that I believe the 2004 summer Expo (whatever/whenever/wherever the hell it is) will be the absolute earliest we'll seen one.



    Frisco in January? Sorry, I just don't see it. I can't imagine...this past update took SO long. I can't see these PowerBooks released on Tuesday just hanging around for 4 months.



    \



    I see MWSF '04 coming and going (and everyone here bitching when no G5 PB appears) and on into the spring. I figure around March or April, all the usual suspects will start their "sources confirmed that..." and "we have received word that the..." stuff, which will basically volley back and forth for 3-7 months, enjoying varying degrees of wrongness.







    We'll get built up (WWDC?) then let down (bastards!). Then when we're about to choke each other and least expect it, Jobs will roll them out with a splashy debut and the joint will go nuts. And you won't be able to get one for less than $2199.







    And the usual round of pissing and moaning will begin THE DAY OF, lamenting the lack of this, the exclusion of that, the price of this, the weight of that, etc.







    Think I'm wrong? Look me up next summer and test me...
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

    Originally posted by pscates

    You know what? Just seeing how things go in general



    (snip)



    Think I'm wrong? Look me up next summer and test me...




    Thou speakest the truth!

    This is exactly how it will play out. (And we'll even read all or some of the :confirmed:'s, stupid as we are
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:

    Originally posted by pscates

    I am officially going on record in saying that I believe the 2004 summer Expo (whatever/whenever/wherever the hell it is) will be the absolute earliest we'll seen one.



    We'll get built up (WWDC?) then let down (bastards!).




    WWDC IS the summer expo now and for the future. This year's G5 intro and Apple's public hatred of the already doomed Boston Expo made sure of that.



    Although I could see .09 G5s being ready for portables as early as March, I think they may hold out until June so they can celebrate the one year anniversary of the G5 tower with the G5 PowerBook. Steve likes that kind of symmetry and built in marketing.



    Edit - Ohhhh, post 666!
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Is there any other new tech that anyone is drooling over to be put into the G5 powerbooks?





    My dream G5 powerbook:



    - 1.8 or 2 ghz G5 at .09 die-shrink



    - 17 inch OLED Screen



    - Fuelcell battery with 15 hours of use minimum



    - Fullsize keyboard with the numberpad



    - 7200rpm 120gig hardrive



    - Build to order option for the newest graphics card



  • Reply 16 of 25
    Now, that's not a bad machine...



    Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 17 of 25
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

    SDW, I think you can expect to be upgrading at least every four years anyway. I wouldn't want to be on a 333 MHz iMac right now.



    What are you trying to say about my imac?

    Actually i shouldn't be on this machine for more than week more anyway. It has served me well for the past 4 years, but bring on my 15" AlBook! (on or befre the 23rd)
  • Reply 18 of 25
    I dont think we're going to see any x86 64 bit threat soon.. The first Ahtlon64 Notebook thats going to be on the market, has 1 hour of battery time.. Nice..



    http://www.amitech.dk/ (Danish site)
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:

    Originally posted by filmmaker2002

    I am waiting for the Powerbook G5. I was VERY close to buying the new 15 1.25Ghz, but decided to hold off as I wasn't willing to spend $2500 on a laptop when I have a 12.1" iBook 800 and a Dual 1Ghz MDD Power Mac with Superdrive. I will wait the 6-8 months until there is a real POWERbook meaning ACTUAL DDR support, a better graphic card (even though the one in there now kicks ass), 4x superdrives, and 7200rpm 120GB HD standard...here's hopin for next summer. What a birthday gift to myself that would be.



    I think 6-8 months is highly optimistic for the G5 PB. In 6-8 months, I expect instead a rather uninspiring G4 speed bump -- taking the current 1/1.25/1.33 GHz range of speeds up to something like 1.25/1.33/1.4 GHz.



    Then, another 6-8 months after that, the G5 PB. If we're lucky, it'll be available just in time to put a mostly-empty box with an order number in it under the 2004 Christmas tree, for a G5 PB that will ship in January or February.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

    Originally posted by shetline

    I think 6-8 months is highly optimistic for the G5 PB. In 6-8 months, I expect instead a rather uninspiring G4 speed bump -- taking the current 1/1.25/1.33 GHz range of speeds up to something like 1.25/1.33/1.4 GHz.



    Then, another 6-8 months after that, the G5 PB. If we're lucky, it'll be available just in time to put a mostly-empty box with an order number in it under the 2004 Christmas tree, for a G5 PB that will ship in January or February.




    I disagree. Apple has done real well with the G5. IBM released the 970 chip out to the public, and then 2 -3 months later, the G5 Tower was released. In all honesty, I think Apple will continue with this trend with the Powerbook.



    What will be the real tell-tale sign of all of this, is when they release the 0.9 micron 970, which would be cool enough for a Powerbook. Last thing I heard, they were very close.
Sign In or Register to comment.