New iBooks when?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AlPanther

It would also further blur the line between the iBook and the 12" powerbook. Apple doesn't want that. So it probably wont happen until either the 12" powerbook moves to PC2700 or PC3200 ram.

I agree, though I will say that it won't happen until the Powerbooks move to either a G5, or a much faster G4.

The difference in speed between a 1GHz G4 Powerbook and a 900MHz G3 iBook is caused primarily by two things - FSB speed and RAM bandwidth. If Apple is suddenly shipping a 1.75 GHz G4 laptop (I'm exaggerating), it doesn't need (as much) to differentiate it's mid-range and high end products with choice of RAM tech.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    AI Mainpage claims vastly improved iBooks within two months:

Apple to Overhaul iBook Product Line

By Kasper Jade

10-03-2003

Apple plans to offer parents a new selection of fashionably-hip iBook consumer laptops in time for stocking-stuffers this holiday season.

According to reliable sources, the new portables will see their first major revisions since May of 2001, including a completely new form-factor that has been under development at the company's Valley Green 6 facility for some time now.

Few details on the new enclosure are available at this time, though sources iterate an emphasis on durability that remains essential for the iBook's core audience of students and youngsters.

While alterations to the laptop's color scheme are rumored, sources were unable to provide final details at this point in the development cycle.

In addition to AirPort Extreme support, the new 'Books will see major upgrades to their RAM specification and memory controller, sources confirmed. The current line of iBook portables utilizes PC100 SDRAM at 133MHz, while the new models are rumored, but not confirmed, to support DDR RAM at 166MHz.

The units are widely suggested to take advantage of IBM's PowerPC 750GX microprocessor, code-named 'Gobi.' Offered at frequencies of up to 1.1GHz, the chips began sampling in July and have been targeted for mass production by December.

Apple plans to announce the revamped line of iBooks sometime in the next two months, sources said. Other confirmed features include brighter displays, internal Bluetooth support, two USB 2.0 ports, a single FireWire port, an improved full-sized keyboard, and revised mobility graphics chip.

All configurations will ship with Mac OS X Panther 10.3 pre-installed.

Additional information will be published as details become available.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    Personally I find the return to colored iBooks intriguing, if still unlikely. How could Apple spice up their appearance without it being viewed as step backward? And no, snap on panels is not the answer.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    This is a fascinating article.

I think that a real revamp of the iBook would be great for our fruit company.

Dr. L
  • Reply 45 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by hledgard

This is a fascinating article.

I think that a real revamp of the iBook would be great for our fruit company.

Dr. L

I was beginning to think no one cared.

I can't imagine what kind of redesign they need to do, it's already the best looking AND most durable consumer notebook.

Just keep bumping the specs and lowering the price!
  • Reply 46 of 50
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    It would be cool if they could somehow make it a tad thinner...it's a bit blocky-looking, compared to the PowerBooks. Although the 12" PowerBook is a bit thick too...

In any case, that report DOES sound interesting.

I am not opposed ONE SINGLE BIT to getting an iBook, especially one coming with the specs mentioned in the article. For what I do, that's totally respectable.

And the $600-1000 savings would be pretty cool (compared to a PowerBook).
  • Reply 47 of 50
    It would be nice if they made them less prone to scratches too.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Does anyone know much about the LCD producers out there (e.g. Chei Mei)? Do they produce a 13" widescreen LCD? If they don't, it's a waste of breath to speculate if Apple might use it.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rrabu

I wish Apple would drop the CD/ROM drive in the lowend entirely. I've got an iBook right now and I wish I were carrying a larger battery or a smaller laptop instead of a DVD/CDRW drive around with me considering how often I use it while on the go.

It would be nice if Apple sold a laptop without the internal CD/DVD drive and bundled an external Firewire drive instead. (As I'm sure they want to make their markup/revenue on the drives that they are selling; just change the cases so carrying it around is optional.)

Won't ever happen. Apple has very vocally declared this.

Amorya
  • Reply 50 of 50
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Does anyone know much about the LCD producers out there (e.g. Chei Mei)? Do they produce a 13" widescreen LCD? If they don't, it's a waste of breath to speculate if Apple might use it.

The Wallstreet PB had an optional 13" screen. It didn't work well, but that was because of cabling issues, not the screen itself.