Dual G5 "Shipment"

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I got an Apple e-mail on Saturday saying the dual G5 shipped and including a tracking number. I call FedEx today (Monday) to get an estimated delivery date and they say that package hasn't shipped yet. Darn.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tidris

I got an Apple e-mail on Saturday saying the dual G5 shipped and including a tracking number. I call FedEx today (Monday) to get an estimated delivery date and they say that package hasn't shipped yet. Darn.

That's better than my situation. My order was scheduled to ship tomorrow and when I went to check the status this morning, the whole order had disappeared off the Status page.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Interesting. Normally I have an explanation for this type of issue after having worked on automated shipment notifications for my company... but I dunno for this scenario.

When a package ships Apple can generate a tracking number, print a label, and even ship it, all without notifying the shipping company. It is only after the scheduled synchronization time that fedex will have the number in their system. If the sync fails for whatever reason, the backup procedure (after a few unsynced days) is to send floppies back with the fedex driver. Primitive huh? Some large installations have worked around these limitations, some haven't. (Just thought I'd share what might be happening.)
  • Reply 3 of 27
    At least yours is theoretically on the way. Mine is scheduled to ship today, and with only 11:15 left, PST, I am really beginning to doubt that Apple is going to make its target. They just can't seem to get those G5's out the door, and I ordered on 07/06.

Clock's ticking Apple. Lets see if you are a liar twice now.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    I ordered my CTO dual G5, BlueTooth and 9800, on 6/23 at 1:27pm.

No email from Apple. No change to my order status. Still says on or before 9/22.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    RAGE!!!!

Just got an email from Apple. My order wont be shipping until "on or before 10/14" now. What is the damn problem, and why is Apple waiting until the last minute to let me know? This iw twice now, and I am furious!
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by craig12co

Just got an email from Apple. My order wont be shipping until "on or before 10/14" now. What is the damn problem, and why is Apple waiting until the last minute to let me know? This iw twice now, and I am furious!

I've seen a few posts from people who have ordered combo drives. My guess is that's the problem.

I didn't order a combo drive system, but I'm still waiting for my "screw you, you're delayed!" e-mail.

-- Mark
  • Reply 7 of 27
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    I have a tracking number, but the last entry in the tracking web page is "Departed FedEx sort facility" around 7am 9/18 in Sacramento. Estimated Delivery Date is 9/24. Is this just because it isn't being scanned while it is making its way across the country?
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by qazII

I have a tracking number, but the last entry in the tracking web page is "Departed FedEx sort facility" around 7am 9/18 in Sacramento. Estimated Delivery Date is 9/24. Is this just because it isn't being scanned while it is making its way across the country?

In my case the FedEx web tracking says "Package information transmitted to FedEx" on 9/19, with no estimated delivery date listed. I called FedEx and a person told me the package had not shipped yet, which I guess means they haven't picked up the package yet.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    POWER MAC G5 2.0GHZDP CTO

2x2GHz/512MB/160GB/SuperDrive/9800/Bluetooth

Order Date: 07/19/2003

Estimated Ship Date: 09/30/2003

Ship Date: 09/22/2003

Standard Overnight, baby. Come to Papa!
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:

In my case the FedEx web tracking says "Package information transmitted to FedEx" on 9/19, with no estimated delivery date listed. I called FedEx and a person told me the package had not shipped yet, which I guess means they haven't picked up the package yet.

Never mind. As of Monday night everything is now good. The package was scanned in Sacramento and I have a delivery date.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

Never mind. As of Monday night everything is now good. The package was scanned in Sacramento and I have a delivery date.

Let me know if it ever gets past Sacramento. Mine was scanned in Sacramento 5 days ago and hasn't been scanned since.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Let me know if it ever gets past Sacramento. Mine was scanned in Sacramento 5 days ago and hasn't been scanned since.

Relax, that is common practice for Fed Ex. They will only scan your package a few times.

1. When it leaves the city it is coming from.

2. When it gets REALLY close to the destination. You should see it show up the night before delivery..

Joe
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by joe_it

Relax, that is common practice for Fed Ex. They will only scan your package a few times.

1. When it leaves the city it is coming from.

2. When it gets REALLY close to the destination. You should see it show up the night before delivery..

Joe

Does this have anything to do with the shipment type? When my monitor shipped, Fedex tracking was a lot more verbose, but that was Express Saver, not Ground.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

Does this have anything to do with the shipment type? When my monitor shipped, Fedex tracking was a lot more verbose, but that was Express Saver, not Ground.

My iSight looked like it was scanned early, and often:

Quote:

Sep 18, 2003 \t 1:11 pm Delivered \tStockton, CA

\t \t 7:33 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery \t STOCKTON, CA \t

\t \t 5:47 am Arrived at FedEx sort facility \tSTOCKTON, CA \t

4:09 am Departed FedEx sort facility SACRAMENTO, CA \t

Sep 17, 2003 \t 11:53 pm Scanned at FedEx sort facility \t

SACRAMENTO, CA \t

2:05 pm Package information transmitted to FedEx \t

\t\t 12:00 am Customer-Loaded Trailer Picked Up SACRAMENTO, CA \t

\t\t

It seems odd to have a box sitting here in Sac for a few days.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

My iSight looked like it was scanned early, and often:

No, this is consistant with Joe's theory. Scanned at origin and at destination. Damn speed limits.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:

The latest status on Tuesday morning is "Departed FedEx sort facility". The previous status was "Scanned at FedEx facility."
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:

The latest status on Tuesday morning is "Departed FedEx sort facility". The previous status was "Scanned at FedEx facility."

Yeah, but that's still a Sacramento scan.

Still waiting....
  • Reply 18 of 27
    I have ordered three G4 in july : a 1,6 a 1,8 and a dualie. My retailor have recieve the two singles, but not the dualie. They said, that they will probabily recieve it before the end of september.

I expect it will be true. If nothing arrive in the next days , i will ask them to deliver me one of the G5. They are supposed to install the whole system : G5 network via gigabit ethernet.

However, Apple is not the only one who sucks. For example the 20 inch from la cie is not shipped yet, nor the intuos 2 wacom tablet A5 ...
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Well, my tracking just got updated with a "Arrived at FedEx sort facility" dated 9/20 and a "Scanned at FedEx sort facility" dated 9/23. Maybe I'll get it today; estimated date is still tomorrow.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Well, my tracking just got updated with a "Arrived at FedEx sort facility" dated 9/20 and a "Scanned at FedEx sort facility" dated 9/23. Maybe I'll get it today; estimated date is still tomorrow.

Mine got scanned in Los Angeles this afternoon. Looks like it will reach Las Vegas on time (by tomorrow).