Office X vs AppleWorks 6.2.7

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by staphbaby

Actually, the cool bit is that the reason Apple could do this is that the operating system renders the screen with display PDF a.k.a. Quartz (which is one of the reasons why the OS X graphics system is so excellent). Apparently they chose PDF over Postscript (what NextStep used) because it meant that they didn't have to pay licencing fees to Adobe.

"Anarchy is crossing when it says 'don't go'" (TISM)

Apple is so cool. I want to work for this company.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    Hey Guys...it's 10am here and one of the Apple Store's just got the 15" and 17" Powerbooks in...(panting..running to get keys and wallet). Guess where I'm going now! Cya!......

PS. Great forum. You guys are great!
  • Reply 23 of 60
    FYI, staphbaby: wouldn't it be easier to just put that anarchy quote in your signature rather than copy it into your messages? See here.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

FYI, staphbaby: wouldn't it be easier to just put that anarchy quote in your signature rather than copy it into your messages? See here.

'nks.

I was getting there, but I had a fit of TISM-based excitement... plus the concept of actually making any more mental effort than necessary was a bit distressing - I handed in a chapter thursday afternoon (mmm, Habermas), and it was already 2am... only up because I was trying to run my battery down to zero so I could reset the 10.2.8 battery time calculator weirdness.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by chikan

Hey Guys...it's 10am here and one of the Apple Store's just got the 15" and 17" Powerbooks in...(panting..running to get keys and wallet). Guess where I'm going now! Cya!......

PS. Great forum. You guys are great!

So: how's the laptop love?
  • Reply 26 of 60
    staphbaby.....the laptop love is good. I played with the 15" 1ghz model which was ok...but I really want to see the 12" to see how it compares. Another week to 10 days wait apparantly??? So tempted to buy the 15" though...what a nice machine!
  • Reply 27 of 60
    Quote:

staphbaby.....the laptop love is good.

smirk. I see my puerile pun escaped your notice! Bwahahahahaha!

Quote:

I played with the 15" 1ghz model which was ok...but I really want to see the 12" to see how it compares. Another week to 10 days wait apparantly??? So tempted to buy the 15" though...what a nice machine!

Come on! You know you want to! Anyway, tech-spending is, in my experience anyway, infinitely extensible. You just need to prioritise ? and put boring useless things like food, clothing, culture and social life at the bottom of the list...
  • Reply 28 of 60
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

I was getting there, but I had a fit of TISM-based excitement...

See my sig

Personally, I want a t-shirt which says

CANBERRA

SUCKS

Barto
  • Reply 29 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

See my sig

Personally, I want a t-shirt which says

CANBERRA

SUCKS

Barto

Yes, this is true. Very true.

Grump grump grump.

Damn Canberra. Although, at least we're not so humid as those other crappy Australian cities. Ugh.

I was considering a quote from Morrison Hostel, He'll never be an old man River, or even that song about the guy who was addicted to relationships (forget the name of the song, I'm sure it'll come to be me eventually). I went for the anarchy one because I just wrote a chapter about political legitimacy and legitimation crises. Sad, hey? Canberra'll do that for you.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    Quote:

Damn Canberra. Although, at least we're not so humid as those other crappy Australian cities. Ugh.

Here in Adelaide, it's not humid... m.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    Quote:

No, it's just butt-freezing cold in winter and stinking hot in summer. All those humid other crappy Australian cities have beaches attached to them, remember? And how far away is the nearest beach to us? 2 freakin' hours! A real d'oh moment in town planning if ever there was one.

Add my vote to the Canberra = Sucktown poll.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    For those Americans and Europeans and Asians (and Africans?) who do not know what Canberra, Australia is like, think South Park.

Barto
  • Reply 33 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

No, it's just butt-freezing cold in winter and stinking hot in summer. All those humid other crappy Australian cities have beaches attached to them, remember? And how far away is the nearest beach to us? 2 freakin' hours! A real d'oh moment in town planning if ever there was one.

Add my vote to the Canberra = Sucktown poll.

Wow, this thread is really turning into an off-topic Australian ghetto, isn't it?

Don't get me wrong: I'm not in the Canberra-liking crowd. I just dislike different things, like the "big country town" atmosphere in which apparently everybody knows everybody else, and it's pretty much a given that they "know" each other as well...

...or the slow death of the Canberra alternative scene, now almost completely dead (except for Rock Ape for the metalheads, and Toast for literally everybody else, and I suppose the Uni bar, occasionally)

...or the inordinate number of public servants everywhere

etc.

But so far as the location and the climate goes, I quite like it. Its certainly a nicer place to live than Sydney, my nearest point of reference. That place truly is a hole.

I think though that if I had a real choice, I'd be off to Melbourne in a flash. Brisbane and Adelaide are surprisingly nice too.

As for beaches - meh, I hate beaches. All those ugly semi-naked people! :P
  • Reply 34 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

For those Americans and Europeans and Asians (and Africans?) who do not know what Canberra, Australia is like, think South Park.

Barto

Yep.

Without the interesting bits though.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    Quote:

Wow, this thread is really turning into an off-topic Australian ghetto, isn't it?

What's wrong with Aussie ghettos?

Quote:

Don't get me wrong: I'm not in the Canberra-liking crowd. I just dislike different things, like the "big country town" atmosphere in which apparently everybody knows everybody else, and it's pretty much a given that they "know" each other as well...

I've never been to Canberra, but what you just wrote seems a lot like Adelaide!

Quote:

...and the climate goes, I quite like it. Its certainly a nicer place to live than Sydney, my nearest point of reference. That place truly is a hole.

Never been there either.

Quote:

I think though that if I had a real choice, I'd be off to Melbourne in a flash. Brisbane and Adelaide are surprisingly nice too.

Thanks! Adelaide is quite nice. Just expensive to live here. Ridiculous electricity prices, and those stupid water restrictions! We are a coastal city!!!

Quote:

As for beaches - meh, I hate beaches. All those ugly semi-naked people! :P

Agreed! Beaches are overrated. m.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

What's wrong with Aussie ghettos?

Nothing in particular ('cept for Australian pubs in England - they all need to be burnt down as a national disgrace. I mean really. They suck.)

I kind-of wonder how much the rest of Appleinsider care about small-medium size Australian cities though...

Quote:

Never been there either.

Don't bother.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    Right now, I'm leaning towards "nisus writer express". Reasonably priced, "word" compatible, and the interface seems quite good. Most reviews on the net favor it.... I don't want "microsoft" anything on my new baby...

Anyone else use Nisus writer express? Comments?
  • Reply 38 of 60
    Quote:

Right now, I'm leaning towards "nisus writer express". Reasonably priced, "word" compatible,

It's worth noting in the word compatability arena that this will be coming to a number of applications built using the Cocoa framework (one of two major options for building a OS X native application) for free when Panther comes out, albeit in a somewhat basic sense. Mellel springs to mind as an application which will benefit.

But none of this will work without Panther.

Quote:

and the interface seems quite good. Most reviews on the net favor it.... I don't want "microsoft" anything on my new baby...

Anyone else use Nisus writer express? Comments?

I dabbled with it for a while; it seems alright...
  • Reply 39 of 60
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

[I] want a GOOD word processing program. Office X for students is $149 and Appleworks 6.2.7 is $119 (Canadian Prices).

???? Is Apple not packaging Appleworks free with its Macs anymore? It came free on mine.

In any case, I tried Appleworks for a while after I bought my Mac and I thought that it was pretty good, although it did lack a few features. However, I switched to Word - at great expense - because of compatability issues with work files.

As between the two of them, Word does offer all the bells and whistles - most of which most people don't use. It would be nice if Appleworks offered a few more features though. And Word does offer essentially complete compatibility with Word for Windows, if that is important to you (as it was, unfortunately, for me). As for ease of use and good underlying code, I think that Appleworks wins. Word is a big fat ugly pig in that department.

If you don't need perfect Word compatibility, I would say consider Appleworks. However, I still think that Apple should package Appleworks for free and given the small price differential for you (are they really offering Word so cheap?) and the probability that you will need some of its features eventually, including the basic feature of compatabilty, I would probably buy Word, although it pains me to say it.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Right now, I'm leaning towards "nisus writer express". Reasonably priced, "word" compatible, and the interface seems quite good. Most reviews on the net favor it.... I don't want "microsoft" anything on my new baby...

I sympathize with your desire to stay away from MS, but I wonder if MS will ever let anything other than their own Word for OSX to be fully compatible.