Is it time for a black coloured iBook?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Now that the entire PB line is all aluminum, I think it would be cool to refresh the iBook line by making it all black. The whole white thing is still cool for the iMac/eMac but with portability, comes dirt. Nothing hides dirt like black.

Obviously a major change in colour also demands a change in processor (G4).

Would you buy a black iBook over a white one?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Would you buy a black iBook over a white one?

No. I wouldn't buy either. I'd stick with PB. If you are asking is it time for a black PB, sure, I'd say yes.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    It can't look any worse than the disgusting opaque white.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Oooh yeah it can.

Puce iBook!
  • Reply 4 of 51
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Yes, but it would have to be special AppleBlack - not just ordinary black. Basically it would have to be very black. As the boys from Spinal Tap said "none more black".
  • Reply 5 of 51
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Speaking as someone who stares at an ugly black laptop all day long, I can say that the white iBook is visually very clean and attractive.

It could look FAR worse. Lima bean green for example.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Contrary to popular belief, black isn't beautiful. At least on computer hardware.

The iBooks look just fine.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    I like the white of the ibook, I know several um girls who buy them just for their looks hehe.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    There are ways to make black look good. The curved, textured black of the WallStreet, Lombard and Pismo PowerBooks looks lovely. Black (or any color, really) on the current iBook would look cheap and terrible. To have an interesting color, you need an interesting shape and "feel", and the current iBook has neither. It's not ugly, but there's nothing to highlight or set off either.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

In one thread you want cheap Macs. In this thread you want black Macs. Sounds like you want a cheap black computer. Can I interest you in a Dell?
  • Reply 10 of 51
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I just said that it can't look any worse. The new opaque books look very poor next to the older transluscent books. The exterior shell isn't even the worst of it. It's when you open them up that things get really ugly -- the keyboard and screen bezels on the interior surface look so damn white and clumsy, like a cheap marine radio, or under counter kitchen stereo. Awful. Black would look like shit too, so, why not?

The transluscent plastics OTOH, had a very key, but subtly different coloration, and they looked beautiful with white, and would probably look great with a fine metallic interior paint as well, either a graphite or silver, or perhaps even a gun metal grey. Any color in Apple's cheap shiny opaque will probably look like crap.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    Has no one noticed that the consumer/education/lifestyle line is all white (iMac/iBook/eMac/iPod) and the prosumer line (PowerMac/PowerBook) is now all aluminium/metallic (I don't think the G5 is aluminium, is it?)?

The only line missing from this obvious standard is the displays. But, if you are not making metallic cases for displays, the current form is probably the next best thing (even though it is getting a little long in the tooth and the vertical stripes are SO PowerMac G4 ).

I haven't looked at the opaque iBooks, but I own a 500mhz 2001 iBook and I think it looks great. A lot of people had issues with scratches etc but mine still looks great (I might be a little anal in looking after it).

Although I don't have much vision for that sort of stuff, I think a black iBook wouldn't look as good as the white. And I don't think Apple will have a black iBook with all the other consumer/edu products remaining white, and, lets face it, a black iMac would look like a bucket full of a$$holes!!!
  • Reply 12 of 51
    CHROME? GOLD? MUSTARD? Fecal Brown with peanut highlights?
  • Reply 13 of 51
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

In one thread you want cheap Macs. In this thread you want black Macs. Sounds like you want a cheap black computer. Can I interest you in a Dell?

the neat thing about apple laptops is that you can recognize them a mile away including in movies, ads, product placement can't help with a "black" like everyone else junk mobile. you may not like it but it follows the theme of other apple clean machines.

keep it clean, keep it, i trust apple it has the best designs and like they say go to dell.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    howabout a colour blacker than black, yeah, right? I mean really blacker than black. Then you could make the big Apple black to lighten the whole thing up! wow, that'd be so cool.

/reprises stoned discussion of colours from many years ago. Drugs are bad, kids.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jellytussle

howabout a colour blacker than black, yeah, right? I mean really blacker than black. Then you could make the big Apple black to lighten the whole thing up! wow, that'd be so cool.

/reprises stoned discussion of colours from many years ago. Drugs are bad, kids.

So "thinking different" campain doesn't reflect in the black black . then how is apple different, than all those other black obnoxious boxes. they look different to reflect the idea of "think different" i don't want to be the same as all those windblows laptops
  • Reply 16 of 51
    When other computer companies start making white computers, Apple will stop using white.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Bring back Graphite!
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jellytussle

howabout a colour blacker than black, yeah, right? I mean really blacker than black.

Yea, but than we might have a blackhole situation on our hands. It would actually make the enitre room darker because light wouldn't be able to escape it. (I don't even want to think about the problems this would create for the display and backlit keybord
  • Reply 19 of 51
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

When other computer companies start making white computers, Apple will stop using white.

I'm actually SHOCKED beyond words that there aren't a gob of white glossy Gateway, HP and Dell computers out there. As usual, however, they'll come roaring into it on the tail-end of the trend, just as Apple as said "okay, been a few years...time to move on".

Hell, some of those PC tower cases are still sporting the translucent, fruit-colored plastic panels...and bragging about it as though it's a cutting edge, hipper-than-hip thing!

If Apple changed to lavender burlap designs tomorrow, within 6-9 months, we'd see pastel-shaded PCs in "natural cloth" exteriors. You know. I know it. The entire world knows it.

• Reply 20 of 51
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Anything but opaque. The original white icebook had a great look and feel. The change to opaque is something I never expected from Apple. Just plain ugly.

Still, iBooks are nice.