iBook 600 vs. Powerbook

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    I already have a 16x firewire CDRW so I thought about buying a plain, old stripped-down CD-Rom iBook 600. Not sure how much I need/want DVD playback on this tiny screen since I have many other places to watch DVDs and don't travel much.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Oops, I forgot.... the CD-rom iBook is a 500mhz. Nevermind.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Just got it! Going to install the memory right now....oh wait. I can't. Apple thinks everyone has a 1mm Philips Screwdriver.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    I'm gonna go pick mine up at Powermax tomorrow. Woo hoo!

.... and luckily I already have a teeny tiny screwdriver.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Dirty rotten rats at Powermax didn't have the one I wanted in stock when I tried to order, so I can't pick up my iBook today. So I went to macconnection.com and they had it in stock. In fact, macconnection.com had a better "free RAM" deal than Powermax, so I'm getting 256mb free instead of paying $40 to upgrade from 128mb extra (Powermax's deal) to 256 extra. And the FedEx overnight shipping charge at macconnection.com was only $23, so I'll have my machine tomorrow instead of today, and I'll end up paying $17 less than I planned.

For the record I ordered the iBook 600 combo drive (went for this one as much for the bigger hard drive as for the CDRW capability) with 384mb RAM (128 + 256). A friend of mine has almost exactly the same machine (slightly less RAM, and a 500mhz rev.A instead of a 600mhz rev.B) so I know what to expect, but I'll post my impressions soon.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Don't you hate when you buy something, and then a rebate is announced the very next day?!
  • Reply 27 of 30
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    My sales guy is going to draw a receipt up for me dated today.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Good old Macconnection.com refuses to give me a "revised" invoice with today's date on it, even though they didn't ship my iBook out until 1:30 AM today. Since I ordered it yesterday, my invoice says 11/20 and so I'm not eligible for the rebate. If I want to return the iBook and re-purchase it, there's a 15% re-stocking fee which is more than double the amount of the rebate.

So I guess I'm out of luck by about 12 hours.... and regretting my decision to purchase from Macconnection.com

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: sizzle chest ]</p>
  • Reply 29 of 30
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>So I guess I'm out of luck by about 12 hours.... and regretting my decision to purchase from Macconnection.com

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do you think any other place like Mac Warehouse or MacMall or somewhere like that would do anything differently than Macconnection did?
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Nope.... I'm not wishing that I'd bought at maczone.com or macmall.com instead. I'm wishing I'd ordered from Powermax like I had planned to in the first place.

But actually, I've decided not to worry about it, and just enjoy my new iBook instead.