G5 Lemon!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I had a friend that worked for UPS. He used to tell me how they would drop TVs down staircases and anything marked 'fragile' would be put in a box throwing contest.

I shipped a old valuable set of drums, which I packed maticulously, and when it was recieved the boxes were round and looked like a paper bag held together with tape. I was told it was delivered out of the back of one of fedex's employees car. Two of the drums shells were craced through (lexan ludwig set).

I fought with them and they said they did nothing wrong.

The way they treat stuff, I am surprised that anything works when it arrives.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    It isn't at all unreasonable to expect that you'll receive a new replacement machine rather than a refurbished model when you've received a DOA. There's absolutely no way Apple can justify attempting to treat anyone like that. What is completely unreasonable is that Apple doesn't have a 30 day replacement guarantee for defective items.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Most electronic manufacturers will replace a DOA product with a new unit. However a "Like New" product can be used if inventory is down and they are in the weeds production wise. Or if they have a ton of refurbs they need to move. This happens all the time. And why is the troll tag not being thrown around here but i get labled a troll several times!
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by stujay

As a new Apple user, I don't have any other compatable video cards lying around. Also, one would think that spending $3000+ would get you a product that worked out of the box!

really, so if you pay, lets say $50k for a car? that means you will never get a lemon.. welcome to the real world where things are NOT perfect.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by stujay

If something went wrong a couple months down the line, that's fine. But out of the box? No thanks--I'll try another.

Are you crazy? I'd much rather get a lemon and get a prompt replacement (hey - with mass produced stuff you're always going to get a failure rate) than spend months on a machine and then have it die on me along with all my work. "hey guys - take this machine in the middle of a really important project, i don't need it". we got a DOA imac 233 - got a new one next day and have never has a single problem with it. we got applecare, but have never used it. hell, i don't even know our 'applecare number' is.

bottom line - failure rate of 0.01% still means a few machines if you produce in the thousands. "it sucks - but luckily it ain't me" 8) 8)

i'm saying all this and my powerbook 12"/80g/super is arriving next week...? oh shit....
  • Reply 26 of 41
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by tokenfirstyear

[B]

Are you crazy? I'd much rather get a lemon and get a prompt replacement (hey - with mass produced stuff you're always going to get a failure rate) than spend months on a machine and then have it die on me along with all my work.

You misunderstand what I'm saying--of course I don't want my computer to fail down the line in the middle of an important project. I'm not an idiot. My point is that, if it's a few months down the line and it happens, I'm obviously not going to trade it in for a new one--I'll have to get it fixed.

As to the "welcome to the real world" person above, of course I'm aware that lemons exist. Again, folks, I'm not an idiot. My point is that yes, they exist, but companies should bend over backwards for those unlucky customers, like myself, who receive them, especially given the high cost of the item. What should I do? Tell them to go ahead and f$!* me because I'm aware, like my friend above, that I live in the real world?

No.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

I mean if your computer was shipped to you the shipping company could have dropped it or something

used to know someone who used to work for ups. he used to joke how they wouldn't give a damn about product damage, kicking expensive boxes around the truck, sometimes for fun. that's why the first thing i do when i receive a new computer is...

a.) open 'er up and make sure everything is secure. loose ram chips sink ships. so do loose hard drives, connectors, cables, etc.

b.) reformat the hard drive. this should scan for bad blocks of physical damage and format around them.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    i'm curious as to why apple doesnt have a 30 return policy

without charging 15%......its ridiculous

anyone can walk into fry's & buy anything & if theres

something wrong with it you can return it no questions asked

i find apple's attitude quite arrogant & quite a turnoff

some of their people at the stores are equally snooty

sometimes (not all employees just some)

(i wound up playing with a g5 at frys..less of a hassle)

how on earth do they expect to retain customer loyalty if

they treat them with contempt ?

heck you spend $3000 on a machine the company darn well

bend over backwards to make you happy if somethings wrong with it.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Apple DOES have a 30 day return policy for all G5s purchased at any retail Apple Store (not online). It is part of the G5 pro card benefits. I am still in my trial period now and so far so good. The tower is much larger and heavier than I expected, but it is SOLID! The 20 inch cinema display is a beauty! I don't think the policy covers the monitor. I was to excited to inquire on the details during my purchase. I think maybe I'm more satisfied with the speed than others because this upgrade represented 4X processor speed increase, 2 processor generations, and 2X the processors! So far, I jst have stock RAM.

There are however more issues with the OS compared to 10.2.8 running om my iBook dual USB. On two occasions in the past week I've had to hard restart the computer. If I remember correctly, both times it occured while running OS 9 in the background and some older, shareware games, something I haven't done on my iBook in a long time.

Hopefully it will be more stable after all my files are transferred and my old non-working OS 9 programs are removed. Hopefully Panther will be more stable.

Although I would be frustrated about receiving a lemon, I would understand if it occured. HOWEVER, they should have bent over backwards to REPLACE that sucker, (top of the queue, overnight, delivered to your office, with some sort bonus [extra RAM, free software, ???]). Thats how you keep a customer.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by luigi

Apple DOES have a 30 day return policy for all G5s purchased at any retail Apple Store (not online). It is part of the G5 pro card benefits. I am still in my trial period now and so far so good. The tower is much larger and heavier than I expected, but it is SOLID! The 20 inch cinema display is a beauty! I don't think the policy covers the monitor. I was to excited to inquire on the details during my purchase. I think maybe I'm more satisfied with the speed than others because this upgrade represented 4X processor speed increase, 2 processor generations, and 2X the processors! So far, I jst have stock RAM.

There are however more issues with the OS compared to 10.2.8 running om my iBook dual USB. On two occasions in the past week I've had to hard restart the computer. If I remember correctly, both times it occured while running OS 9 in the background and some older, shareware games, something I haven't done on my iBook in a long time.

Hopefully it will be more stable after all my files are transferred and my old non-working OS 9 programs are removed. Hopefully Panther will be more stable.

Although I would be frustrated about receiving a lemon, I would understand if it occured. HOWEVER, they should have bent over backwards to REPLACE that sucker, (top of the queue, overnight, delivered to your office, with some sort bonus [extra RAM, free software, ???]). Thats how you keep a customer.

I tried to purchase mine at the Apple store, but because I customized (extra Ram, 2 250-gig hard drives for FCP4 editing), I had to order online. They only have bare-bones machines at the store. By ordering online at the store, I was given a pro card.

Here's a question, and please pardon my ignorance. When I ordered the G5, I ordered it with a 17-in. monitor, which arrived before the computer did. I exchanged that for a 20-inch cinema display. Are these machines somehow configured for a particular sized monitor? I strongly suspect that the answer is no, but doesn't hurt to ask....
  • Reply 31 of 41
    No. Any G5 can be used with any of the Apple monitors.

Despite owning a dualie, I'm by no means a "Power User". But you ordered a top of the line dualie G5 with extra RAM, and 2 large drives, and do FCP editing and planned to use it on a tiny 17 inch screen? Doesn't seem like the best balance. I agree the 20 inch screen is a better fit.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Quote:

No. Any G5 can be used with any of the Apple monitors.

Despite owning a dualie, I'm by no means a "Power User". But you ordered a top of the line dualie G5 with extra RAM, and 2 large drives, and do FCP editing and planned to use it on a tiny 17 inch screen? Doesn't seem like the best balance. I agree the 20 inch screen is a better fit.

Not a dualie, sadly, a 1.8. Should have gotten the dualie. Once I'm fully into post on my feature project, I'll be adding an NTSC monitor to my 20" cinema display. I'd have gone for the 23", but $ $ $.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    If it hasn't shipped yet.....

Why not get the RAM and the drives from 3rd party retailers! Apple charges too much and they are easy to install. The money you save, I suspect would be more than enough to allow you to upgrade!!! You can take the thing back if it turns out your not satisfied.

Also. Apple Loan, same as cash for 6 months.

DO IT!
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:

If it hasn't shipped yet.....

Why not get the RAM and the drives from 3rd party retailers! Apple charges too much and they are easy to install. The money you save, I suspect would be more than enough to allow you to upgrade!!! You can take the thing back if it turns out your not satisfied.

Also. Apple Loan, same as cash for 6 months.

DO IT!

Good thinking. Does adding 3d-party ram void any warranty (applecare, etc.?). Can you recommend a good source for purchasing ram?
  • Reply 35 of 41
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    RAM and hard drives are supposed to be "user-installable" parts on the pro machines (RAM is the only user-installable on the consumer level machines... not sure about the powerbook), so you can go to town and not worry about violating warranties (though if you blow out your system by not wearing an anit-static wristband and try to make apple replace it, you may have some difficulty).

there are cheaper vendors out there, but crucial.com has never failed me with quality ram that has never gone bad. transintl.com also has great deal on ram, sometimes half as much as crucial.

for me, check out bestbuy.com for some fat hard drives with rebates. i got a listed 160 gb hard drive for $99 after rebates, AND, due to rounding erros in measuring gigabytes, the drive actually turned out to be 180 gb!

all in all, go to dealmac.com and dealram.com, and start scanning for deals. word of warning: the place is like a drug... it's hard to break the habit of "HEY! i don't need a superdrive for $100, but there's one after rebate!"
  • Reply 36 of 41
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    memoryx.net claims to have the same RAM that Apple uses, with a 512 stick for under $100 each (you'll need pairs, of course).

Resellers use this company, but I've not bought from them.

I bought the Muskin 1GB (2 x 512) kit, extra HQ RAM for the G5. Worked out to $150 a stick.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    I have a 1.6 and its perfect. I added 1.0 GB RAM, and then a 9800 Pro card. No problems!
  • Reply 38 of 41
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

all in all, go to dealmac.com and dealram.com, and start scanning for deals. word of warning: the place is like a drug... it's hard to break the habit of "HEY! i don't need a superdrive for $100, but there's one after rebate!"

Oh you b@$t*rd!

I really hope they don't ship to the UK, or I'm in real trouble!

• Reply 39 of 41
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    my dual G5 is back in action. i'll hold my breath this time.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

my dual G5 is back in action. i'll hold my breath this time.

Update on my "major disappointment": I called the good people at Apple for an update on my replacement, having not heard a thing for several days. As it turns out, an error was made when they input my replacement order, so they had to start again.

Again, delayed a few more days. Glad I called.

Now they're throwing in a scanner. Hell, if the next one doesn't work, maybe I'll get a dual-processor (instead of 1.8) out of the deal (won't hold my breath).

The saga continues.