BitTorrent

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Bingo.

Don't think we're not keeping a close eye on this thread. It's okay to discuss the software, its protocols, features, flaws, etc., but once you start giving out actual locations for getting pirated software, your ass is gone.

Have a nice day.

*lurks back into the shadows*

Who needs administrators when you've got members to keep things "clean"?
  • Reply 42 of 61
    Ok, can someone tell me what port ranges they have it enabled to use? I have it to use over like 1000 or 2000 ports, just wanting to know what you all have set to.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by killer2239

Ok, can someone tell me what port ranges they have it enabled to use? I have it to use over like 1000 or 2000 ports, just wanting to know what you all have set to.

I've found that the default ones work fine. I haven't ever messed with settings other than capping the upload to keep it from going through the roof while I'm on campus. It can be super slow, but I've hit 400k/s a number of times too. On the same download. :/ Who knows.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    Capping the upload? I dont remember seeing that, any special way to get to it?
  • Reply 45 of 61
    Quote:

Capping the upload? I dont remember seeing that, any special way to get to it?

Click on the little oval in the top right corner of the download window.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    lemonlemon Posts: 29member
    Quote:

From the FAQ:

--------

I'm behind a firewall/NAT, can I use BitTorrent?

Yes, but you will get better performance if other peers can connect to you. By default, BitTorrent listens on port 6881, trying incrementially higher ports if it's unable to bind, and gives up after 6889 (the port range is configurable). It's up to you to figure out how to poke a hole in your firewall/NAT.

--------

If you check the ports that BitTorrent uses while in action it regularly goes higher then 6881. Also keep in mind that if you upload at your max ACK packets might not make it back to you slowing things down. I usually shoot for about 90% of my max upload speed.

I think the original poster might have a problem with his networking people allowing traffic on the ports. Just slowing it waaay down.
  • Reply 47 of 61
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    For some odd reason now it is going fast or at least it did on one file. I downloaded the Terminator 3 DVD and it flew at 100-300k sec, usually closer to 300. Meanwhile where are the good Direct Connect clients at.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    And what exactly am I uploading?
  • Reply 49 of 61
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    can anyone tell me what the best tracker for mac files are...

movie files....
  • Reply 50 of 61
    Here

\
  • Reply 51 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nano

movie files....

No, no, no. A thousand times no.

If anyone answers this question and provides help in pirating software or anything else, that person will immediately receive a temporary ban from these forums. We do not take kindly to pirates.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    What happened to banned once, banned forever? I kinda liked that.
  • Reply 53 of 61
    Well, I didn't say how long the duration of the "temporary" ban would be.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    Brad-

Thanks for hopping in. I'm sure that most people don't even realize the problems of discussing these things (although it should be obvious), and it is good to have a hawk on the case. I really dig these forums, and would hate to see anything happen to them.

BTW, this discussion reminds me of the time I was thown out of a head shop for saying 'Bong' instead of 'Water Pipe'. Sometimes you have to talk around things...
  • Reply 55 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

Sometimes you have to talk around things...

Discussing piracy itself and the software tools is fine. It's when people start giving others addresses and locations to actually use that software that they cross the line. That's where we make the call.
  • Reply 56 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Meanwhile where are the good Direct Connect clients at.

there aren't any good dc clients for osx. i started one a while back, trying to face the terribleness that was neo-modus' client, but i quit on it. if you find some osx programmers, i'll gladly give up my source code. in the mean time, if you can stomach kde/qt and x11, you can get 'dcgui' from dc.ketelhot.de/. i found it to be really slow and nasty.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    Quote:

Discussing piracy itself and the software tools is fine. It's when people start giving others addresses and locations to actually use that software that they cross the line. That's where we make the call.

I totally agree with your policy, I hope there was no misunderstanding.
  • Reply 58 of 61
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

No, no, no. A thousand times no.

If anyone answers this question and provides help in pirating software or anything else, that person will immediately receive a temporary ban from these forums. We do not take kindly to pirates.

Hey who said I wanted pirated software maybe I want patches for games or some freeware programs, and don't know of any trackers.
  • Reply 59 of 61
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Quote:

Hey who said I wanted pirated software maybe I want patches for games or some freeware programs, and don't know of any trackers.

Riiiiiiiiiight.

In that case, I recommend something like this.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

movie files....

NOTHING suggestive about THAT comment