Help me make a decision: buy New or used?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Hewligan:

<strong>Well, I am in the same dilema. My Pismo died about 2 months ago and I decided to not get her fixed (£350 UK minimum fee to get her fixed, perhaps up to £500 depending on what was wrong). I sold her for parts, raising about £160, and now I have the same problem as you:

1. Buy an iBook 600/128/15/DVD for £1200 after discounts (I am a student too)

2. Buy a second hand powerbook (3400 or 1400) for £200-£300

3. Buy a PC laptop for about £800 (I know, I know!)

4. Do nothing.

Now, money is very tight, but having a laptop would help me do my research (I am a MSc. student writing my thesis), so it is almost impossible to survive without a laptop. I need to get something. My girlfriend keeps pushing me to get the iBook because she knows it would make me happy, but it is all about the money.

I haven't made up my mind yet.

Hewligan</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think if you get the iBook it'll be worth the money.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Sell both machines. Get an iBook.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    You can get an iBook (G3/300 Blueberry, new, Open Box) here for not so much:

<a href="http://www.electricdeal.com/cart.php?search=Apple"; target="_blank">http://www.electricdeal.com/cart.php?search=Apple</a>;

Edit: Added details of which iBook it was.

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: Fran441 ]</p>
  • Reply 24 of 50
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    Thanks fran, I'd only consider the Tangerine or Keylime iBooks... hehe.

How well does AppleWorks 6 run on a 80MB PB2400c? Is it fast and responsive? How about Office 2001(euuw!)?

As for selling both, I'd probably need to get the 540c repaired before that. Selling for parts is not so attractive. It works ok, when plugged in and with an external keyboard...
  • Reply 25 of 50
    Matvei huh?

Seperatist? Or Albanian refugee?

Get the new iBook. It's at an all time low with the 150 dollar canadian rebate. Sell both machines. A quick, but not too attentive, survey of ebay says that you can get about 1000 canadian for a DVSE 400 with few/no extras. How much can you get for a 540 in working order? And how much does it cost to fix it? If you can get another 200, it's time to sell both machines and go for a nice new iBook 600. For another 1000 Canadian, you could get the DVD model. It's faster than your desktop and it has a nicer display, so you'll really only need the one machine. Now is the time to sell -- after January the lower end Macs will probably seem a whole lot slower, and you won't get as much for them. Also, the iBook probably won't get updated for a while yet (making i the safest resale value bet, for now)
  • Reply 26 of 50
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Matvei huh?

Seperatist? Or Albanian refugee?</strong>

soft nationalist with an eastern european affection...

<strong>

A quick, but not too attentive, survey of ebay says that you can get about 1000 canadian for a DVSE 400 with few/no extras.</strong>

Mine is equipped with 640MB or CL2 ram and an iSub. What do you think would be a fair price for that?

I could add a 'Macs for dummies book', a 'who wants to be a millionaire cdrom game'.

Does the Pro mouse cord really too short for the iBook? I should really try it on the left side (I'm a lefty who uses the mouse on his right...). If it is not good for the ibook, i could sell it with it.

<strong>

How much can you get for a 540 in working order? And how much does it cost to fix it? If you can get another 200, it's time to sell both machines and go for a nice new iBook 600.

</strong>

I don't know how much it would cost. 70$CAN an hour I think. So 140$-180$ Canadian maybe?

<strong>

For another 1000 Canadian, you could get the DVD model. It's faster than your desktop and it has a nicer display, so you'll really only need the one machine.</strong>

But what about having a backup machine? One of the reasons I like having a desktop-laptop combo is that if one fails, i've got the other to pick up the slack while the other is ailling...

Also, if I end up being cramped in my 12 inch screen, I'll need to get a monitor. That monitor will be about 300-400$CAN. Isn't having the iMac a way to get the monitor, the backup and security all in a nice package?

<strong>

Now is the time to sell -- after January the lower end Macs will probably seem a whole lot slower, and you won't get as much for them. Also, the iBook probably won't get updated for a while yet (making i the safest resale value bet, for now)</strong><hr></blockquote>

I know. This is definatly the best time to sell my iMac... How does murbot do it? doesn't he get attached to his machines?

I just don't know anymore. I'll get a quote on the 540c tomorow. that should be a start.

Thanks for all your help, all comments are extremely welcome.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    [quote]Originally posted by Matvei:

<strong>

How does murbot do it? doesn't he get attached to his machines?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

murbot's just a freak
  • Reply 28 of 50
    I'd like Escher's opinion. Doesn't he have an iMac alongside his portables (first a 2400 then a ibook dual)...

I should have put 2400 in the title...

• Reply 29 of 50
    From most accounts the iBook sounds plenty reliable. A small, perhaps second hand, USB or firewire (better the firewire) HDD seems like a really good idea though.

I just had a thought. You're strapped for cash, -- alas, I know the feeling -- so you don't want to spend a ton of money. You could:

A.) sell the iMac and 540 now as discussed and get a new iBook. Then, later on, if you're still worried about a back-up machine, re-buy a used iMac on the cheap. Think of it as leasing out your iMac for two or three months.

or,

B.) Do you plan on buying a faster desktop machine 12-18 months after you buy the iBook? In that case you might consider selling both machines and picking up something a little more humble. Maybe even the Rev A iBook. That might be an even split for you. It'll be slower than your iMac, can you live with the speed difference? However, without investing any extra money in your iBook, you can start putting all your spare computer funds against a new machine sometime in 2002.

But isn't that all a little complicated? Why not just wait to see what 2002 brings and then decide. Fix the 540 if it doesn't cost too much, and just keep plugging away as before.

The next 6 months are kinda a weird time to buy a Mac. There isn't any real guarantee that OSX will get any faster -- personally, I'd bet against it -- so if you plan to use the machine for some of the yet to arrive, and more demanding OSX apps, the wisest choice may be to soldier along with your OS9 machines for another 3-4 months.
  • Reply 30 of 50

<strong>From most accounts the iBook sounds plenty reliable. A small, perhaps second hand, USB or firewire (better the firewire) HDD seems like a really good idea though. </strong>

Don't these HD's cost something like 299-399$US? This would cancel out the money made from the iMac, no?

Anyone want to try to guess how much a system like mine could be worth?

<strong>

You could:

A.) sell the iMac and 540 now as discussed and get a new iBook. Then, later on, if you're still worried about a back-up machine, re-buy a used iMac on the cheap. Think of it as leasing out your iMac for two or three months.

</strong>

That's pretty nifty. Thing is I hardly ever see Macs for sale in montreal... I'd wait a while.

<strong>

or,

B.) Do you plan on buying a faster desktop machine 12-18 months after you buy the iBook? In that case you might consider selling both machines and picking up something a little more humble. Maybe even the Rev A iBook. That might be an even split for you. It'll be slower than your iMac, can you live with the speed difference? However, without investing any extra money in your iBook, you can start putting all your spare computer funds against a new machine sometime in 2002. </strong>

I really don't need a new machine, per se. I just need portability. If I didn't I expect my iMac would be fine until it dies or Mac OS XX won't run on it

I'd like to try the idea of the 2400 and iMac for a while but the 150$ the iBooks is a deal maker.

How is working on the 10.4 800x600 screen?

<strong>

But isn't that all a little complicated? Why not just wait to see what 2002 brings and then decide. Fix the 540 if it doesn't cost too much, and just keep plugging away as before.

</strong>

That's an option. I'd lose the 150$CAN rebate though...

<strong>

The next 6 months are kinda a weird time to buy a Mac. There isn't any real guarantee that OSX will get any faster -- personally, I'd bet against it -- so if you plan to use the machine for some of the yet to arrive, and more demanding OSX apps, the wisest choice may be to soldier along with your OS9 machines for another 3-4 months.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm already running X full time on my iMac. It runs real well for my tastes. I'm a little afraid that the slower laptop Hard drives will cripple the experience though...

I could wait for the iBook G5!
  • Reply 31 of 50
    I have a feeling that the price drop is going to just stick when each successive 2002 model arrives. Remember how the faster Powerbooks got cheaper too. The same has to happen for the iBook, PowerMac, and Studio Displays. LCD's are much cheaper than when they were originally priced. And the prices of 'Super' and 'combo' and generally every type of optical drive are falling all the time, as are the prices of HDD's.

I think we can expect the current discount prices to describe the normal retail prices by mid 2002.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    Interesting take on the iBook rebate. The only thing that would make me think otherwise is the fact that iBooks are flying off the shelf at the previous price...

Update on my situation: It would be prohibitive to try and fix my powerbook. It would be about 150$ Canadian + any charge for parts. Since the power manager seems toast, they said it would be fairly expensive. Anyway, a checkup and estimate is 86$CAN... err...

I think i'll just let it die... Maybe sell the batteries or the carcass...

I checked the iBook today, :eek: What great machines!!!

It was running 10.1 and was really just as fast as my iMac. Thing is, it only had 128mb of ram and was the 500mhz version!!! Wow! I opened Appleworks, EI, Apple System profiler, played with the dock and menus... and it was just great. Whoever thinks OS X is slow on these machines has a low latency tolerance...

I even tried using a pro mouse with it. It can be usable with the cord passing between the screen and the book. Not great, but not impossible either.

I saw the ipod too... Mmmm... One day, one day...

Now I just have to decide if I will sell my iMac now...
  • Reply 33 of 50
    What else could you do with the 540?
  • Reply 34 of 50

<strong>What else could you do with the 540?</strong><hr></blockquote>

learn to solder and fix it myself!
  • Reply 35 of 50
    UPDATE: Looks like the decision has been made for me. I just learned that my parents got me the iBook for x-mas . I still think I should sell the iMac so i've put it up for sale.

Anyone want an iMac in Montréal?

too bad for the comet...
  • Reply 36 of 50

<strong>UPDATE: Looks like the decision has been made for me. I just learned that my parents got me the iBook for x-mas . I still think I should sell the iMac so i've put it up for sale.

Anyone want an iMac in Montréal?

too bad for the comet...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Great present. You'll love it.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    I know. I already ordered a 512MB dim and a slipcase (Sportfolio II)!

Still sad thinkin' I'll lose my beautiful iMac...
  • Reply 38 of 50

<strong>I know. I already ordered a 512MB dim and a slipcase (Sportfolio II)!

Still sad thinkin' I'll lose my beautiful iMac...</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you're getting it as a present then why do you need to get rid of the iMac?
  • Reply 39 of 50
    I did it too! I decided to go ahead and order the iBook. I have to write a thesis that involves a lot of data collection from various libaries around London, so having a laptop was crucial. I decided to go ahead and order the iBook 600/DVD. I know that technically I could have got by with just the 500 version, but for an extra £200 the DVD version seemed to offer a lot more (and thanks to the Apple education + £60 off deals I could not resist!).

It is still "Being Reviewed" at the Apple store, but hopefully I will receive it at some point next week!

Oh, I got Virtual PC 4.0.2 DOS version (educational price) as well, so I can hopefully network the machine with my home PC if need be.

Hewligan
  • Reply 40 of 50
    I was going to suggest everyone wait until MWSF in a couple of weeks just in case new iBooks or speed bumps are announced. Older models will come down in price a few hundres $$ then.

Also take a look at the Apple Store's stock. They offer you the chance to buy AppleCare, which is always good (but expensive) advice.

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: rambo47 ]</p>