Duals are Phenomenal!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I got a chance to sit down with a dual G5 this afternoon at a local reseller, and I was absolutely blown away.

I stuck to LiveType in FCP 4, and did some rough comparisons to my SP 1.25 MDD G4.

Well, it was actually no comparison!

Just as an example, Burn Barrel rendered out somewhere between five and seven times faster than it does on the G4. Absolutely unreal.

Oh, and this was with Jaguar. I can't wait to see one of these machines running Panther!

Looks like the MDD may be relegated to server duty in a month or so to make way for a Dual G5 as a primary machine!

If you haven't checked one out yet, do so -- it's really that impressive.

-John

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    That's great to hear that you had a good experience with the DP2GHz. As I wait, I waiver between the 1.8GHz (because MacAddict said it was a strong performer) and the DP2GHz, although I've declared already that the DP is the way to go. I believe I'm going to continue waiting for something like a DP1.8GHz at MWSF or a price-drop DP2GHz. With the great FSBs, the DP configurations really do rock; it's just too bad Apple couldn't make the 1.8 a DP.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Here's a better idea:

Sell your dual g4, buy a slower machine for server duty, and use the leftover cash to put buttloads of RAM in th G5.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Here's a better idea:

Sell your dual g4, buy a slower machine for server duty, and use the leftover cash to put buttloads of RAM in th G5.

That's a pretty good point -- the Dual G5 I was noodling with had 2 1/2 GB of RAM in it, which had a fair bit to do with overall system performance.

And of course, I could just continue using x86 boxes for servers, letting them do what they do best. You know, not seen, not heard, sitting in a closet running mundane tasks.

-John
  • Reply 4 of 21
    I'm playing with a dualie that I bought this weekend!!

The store I got it at gives you a full 30 days to return for a full refund (better than the 10 days Apple gives you from their store.) So I trying it out to see if it lives up to the hype (at least for what I want it to do.) Web browsing it pretty much like my 2.8 P4 with 1GB RAM. All the Mac apps are a lot faster than my iMac DV 400 SE (I know, "Duh".)

Right now I'm controlling the dual G5 from my PC as I write this. So far the VNC PC to Mac is very good (using OSXvnc), but Mac to PC is not good. The PC starts to have problems over time like programs don't want to run and other weird stuff, then have to reboot the PC.

But this was impressive: I had Konfaulator running (a CPU hog on my iMac) with a several of my favorite widgets, iTunes playing music and editing old family video footage (this main reason for buying this system.) It all worked with out a hitch (NOTE: iTunes was playing MP3's from my Linux server, and the video was being edited on an external FW drive. So I don't know if it would start skipping running off one drive or not.) Also this is the standard config with 512MB RAM. So far, haven't seen it get anywhere close to running of ram. FCE is one the of the least memory intensive programs that I use.

The fans would speed up each time rendered part of the video or played the video. And yes there is CPU noise with certain programs (VNC viewer is a real culprit - use this to connect to the PC.) Right now I'm testing to see how everything I want to do works. Wiretap is one program that now works where before it would kill my iMac dead as a door nail (Not all the time but after about 2-5 minutes of use)!

The ONLY other big problem is website compatibility!! I couldn't even download my mouse driver for my mouse with out downloading it from the PC, because the Mac (or really Netscape/mozilla) just can't handle the Java code or whatever they're using on their sites. I wanted to get a friend of mine that's a realtor to use a Mac as it would suite him much better than a PC, but the MLS will not work! I really, really like Safari (just discovered that it does spell checking on the fly! - Neat) and find more nifty things is does all the time, so I could careless about IE, but there are times that you have to have it. Wish that that this can be fixed in the Java that they use or make it so it that it can switch to be compatible with whatever site your looking at.

Sorry this turned into quite a ramble, but hope someone finds the info useful! And, yes this very fast running VNC from PC to Mac, so that test is over. Just played a quicktime video and it was a tad choppy but not that bad at all.

Hope to post a review later on.

-Scott

P.S.: Got this guy with the new NEC Multisync 1765 17" flat screen monitor. Wow, what a picture this thing has! Apple could learn something from NEC.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    solarsolar Posts: 84member
    I was working with a friends Dual 2ghz last night, and i noticed a few things that were kind of weird. The machine Smoked , super fast, super responsive, until it went to sleep, and then was woke back up. On wakeup from sleep, in LiveType, the previews were chunky, and the whole machine just seemed to get sluggish. I'm assuming this isn't he only dual G5 that's affected, and i'm also sure that it's going to be a quick fix software update patch... It's totally kick ass though, and I can't wait to do a couple of FCP4 projects next week.. I'm saving my pennies right now for a rev B machine..

-slr
  • Reply 6 of 21
    paispais Posts: 34member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scott_r

... Wish that that this can be fixed in the Java that they use or make it so it that it can switch to be compatible with whatever site your looking at. ...

Off the topic, sorry, but I'm really a stickler for this. Web standards exist for everyone's benefit. When websites are properly written and developed, they work for just about everyone; unfortunately, many sites are only tested with IE for Windows.

Off my soapbox, now.

I'm glad to hear that the dual G5s scream for graphics-intensive work; hopefully, the Mac will remain the top performer in that category. I envy those of you who own one -- I'm spending a similar load of cash on a new PowerBook because I really do need the mobility. Think the G5 tower is light enough to carry in a backpack?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    Mine is quite loud all the time--just measure it--54 db, C weighted at 3 feet. Is this normal? As soon as I turn it on, and no matter how long I have it on, sounds like the fans are running at the same speed.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I was at the CambridgeSide Apple Store and played with a Dual G5 the other night...

I was thinking "what th'????" after a few minutes. Slower than my iBook.

But then I burrowed around and got Terminal running and typed top -u (I know, I could have used Process Viewer)

Finder was pegged at 159% of the CPU.

I have no idea what a maxed out app on a dual is supposed to "say" in top, but I guessed it needed a kick. So I Force Quit the Finder and when it came back up it was properly back down to a trickle of 3 or 4% or whatever.

So, the moral of the story is don't assume the Mac you walk up to is in a pristine condition, wiaitng to impress you. Far too many yahoos, myself included, are running these things into the ground to try to see how fast they are, so who know what might be crashed etc.

I did mention it to the Apple folk but, somewhat infuriatingly, they only mumbled amongst themselves. I could only glean that maybe there is some remote monitoring or management, perhaps using Apple Remote Desktop or whatever that's called. They seemed to say it had happened before. Something to think about next time you play on the Macs there, I think everything is being watched or logged somehow. Makes sense, of course. It's their stuff. But I can't be 100% sure if they do that. Maybe they don't do anything. But I digress.

Run top or Process Monitor first, before you do any testing, to make sure things are levelled out.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Oh, and yeah, "blazingly fast" is a fairly good description.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by bangstudios

I got a chance to sit down with a dual G5 this afternoon at a local reseller, and I was absolutely blown away.

THE ADS ARE TRUE!

8)
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

THE ADS ARE TRUE!

8)

Yup! I ended up plastered against a tree outside of the store with a dumb look on my face as my hot wife looked on in stunned silence!

-John
  • Reply 12 of 21
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Um I used one today. WOW. With the plate on the side off. The incredible thing is that because of the different zones the top part is actually completely exposed, I thought the glass would enclose all of it off not just most.

One thing to note: iTunes resizes perfectly. It gags on my PowerBook 12". I can't imagine G5 Duals with Panther. Then again I don't have to, a store on campus will have it.

It's smaller then it looks too. Very nice system, doesn't look quite so austere in person. iTunes framerates didn't go above 42. There is something fubar with 10.2.8 (yes they had the second release.) My PB doesn't go above 30 with 10.2.8 rev 2. ****ing shit. I'm going to have to either wait for Panther or revert to 10.2.6.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    scott_r: the Java problems might be solved by the recent Java update. If you've already got it or it doesn't fix the problems, what was in those 40MB? :confused:
  • Reply 14 of 21
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Posted this in another thread, but I'll put it here as well because I think it's pretty telling about the performance of the G5.

Just thought you guys might be interested in a little "benchmark" that I ran.

Encoded (in Quicktime Pro) a 2 pass VBR, MPEG2 file for DVD (720x480) on a G5 Dually with 1.5 gb ram, and then on a dual 1ghz G4 with the same amount of ram.

Finished on the G5 in 2 hours 36 minutes. The G4 took 10 hours.

That's one hell of a performance boost in my book, and a real world test as opposed to some benchmark.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
  • Reply 16 of 21
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I don't believe you

Whatever Apple says is LIE

• Reply 17 of 21
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Common Leonis, buy that Dual G5. You know you want to.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Denial is a powerful thing.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    I love my new dualie. I'm sitting here surfing the web while ripping CDs into iTunes, meanwhile Seti is going in the background finnishing a unit in 3.5 hours. Ahhh-I'm loving it!
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Finished on the G5 in 2 hours 36 minutes. The G4 took 10 hours.

I'm no programmer...but isn't that MORE than the promised 'twice as fast'?

Even with unoptimised OS, some of the dual G5 benches are phenominal.

I can't wait until Panther comes out with G5 optimisations...

Hmmm. My wallet is getting sweaty...

Lemon Bon Bon

8)