Family pack?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Yes I have 5 Macs at home. G5 and 12inch PB for me. 12inch 900MHz iBook for the wife and a 15inch 500MHz TiBook and Pismo for the kids. I also have 2 Dells and a IBM.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

Yes I have 5 Macs at home. G5 and 12inch PB for me. 12inch 900MHz iBook for the wife and a 15inch 500MHz TiBook and Pismo for the kids. I also have 2 Dells and a IBM.

In that case family pack is a steal.

Personally i don't feel 'particularly wrong' by installing 1 copy on my 2 comps.

• Reply 23 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Hmmm... College Dorms... That's one location right? It's one address... I'm sure I could rally 5 of us together to go in on a family pack. That would make it $40 a piece instead of the $70 EDU price.

Hmmm....

The only EDU price I've found in Europe yet is 70 ? for 10 to 100 licenses. Were can I get a single-EDU-license from?

I won't buy it for 140 + shipping, at least not yet, because I believe that more ram for the same price will make a greater improvement.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

So if two computers are running the same OS X from a Single User License copy, connected by Ethernet, will the software basically inhibit use of network-activity/use of one of the computers, or is it just a moral thing? m.

It's a moral and legal thing. Hmmmm. . . besides morals and laws what keeps you from doing something "wrong"? Opps, sorry this ain't AO, is it?
  • Reply 25 of 29
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    My only problem with the Family Pack idea is what happens if and when you sell your old computer. For me, 12-18 months of use followed by an eBay auction and a new computer has become a way of life.

If I'm selling someone my old computer, I should legally include a legit copy of the OS. That copy could simply be the one that shipped with the computer, but I think someone buying my computer a year or so from now is going to want and expect Panther, not Jaguar. Giving someone a CD-R copy of your Family Pack copy of Panther is not a legit solution.

I've got a $24 copy of Panther on the way for my new G5. That copy will go out with that computer when I almost inevitably buy a 3GHz G5 next year. (Unless, of course, there's a OS X 10.4 "Some New Large Feline" before there's a 3 GHz G5.)

But I've also just bought a new 12" PowerBook. Ordered 9/16, invoiced 10/4, delivered 10/7 -- all shortly before 10/8. It was a BTO too, so I'm having problems with my serial number working on the upgrade web page, even though others who bought before 10/8 are managing to qualify for the cheap upgrade on other non-BTO, non-G5 systems.

I feel like installing the same copy of the OS on both my desktop and my laptop is fair use, so just for my own use I don't feel morally obligated to buy two copies. But when it's time to sell (and that day will come!) I can't rightly sell one copy and keep another, or sell one copy to two people. Because of that, discount or not, I will buy a second copy of Panther and not get a Family Pack.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

It's a moral and legal thing. Hmmmm. . . besides morals and laws what keeps you from doing something "wrong"? Opps, sorry this ain't AO, is it?

But if I buy the Single User License, and install it on both computers, will it render the Ethernet connection useless, etc? ie: Is there a M$ style key checking thing in there? m.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Apple's not disabling anyone's ethernet.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

But if I buy the Single User License, and install it on both computers, will it render the Ethernet connection useless, etc? ie: Is there a M$ style key checking thing in there? m.

There is nothing M$ about Mac products. That would be horrible.

(edit): Windows isn't even worth stealing, why anyone would go through all that trouble just for an unstable and overall crappy OS is beyond me.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Quote:

So if two computers are running the same OS X from a Single User License copy, connected by Ethernet, will the software basically inhibit use of network-activity/use of one of the computers, or is it just a moral thing? m.

no, it is just a moral thing. basically they admitted before that they know people use a copy the got on more than 1 machine, they made the family park to make it easier and more affordable to keep people more honest. they said they know most people cant afford to buy a new copy for each machine, so with the family pack, for only $70 more, you get up to 5 machines, instead of having to pay $600. (which many people cannot afford)

OSX doent have product keys and stuff like that yet(I remember they said they dont want to have to do that. that was one of hte features that Apple touted a few years ago when setting up a mac, no convluted product activation.