O'Riely on Fresh Air

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, I don't watch the factor or anything, but I listened to O'Reily on Fresh Air and the guy comes off like a complete dillhole!

Did anyone else listen to it and think he was somehow justified?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    When was he on? I thought that freshair doesn't come on until the afternoon.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

When was he on? I thought that freshair doesn't come on until the afternoon.

I stream it from Woi AM (in iowa) and it's on in the morning.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    through iTunes or the stations website?
  • Reply 4 of 33
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    It's somewhere around here. The clip is 40 minutes long, and the action happens at the end when O'Reilly leaves the interview. I suggest listening to the whole thing. I had about 5-6 people gathered around the laptop in the student center while we listened to the interview (wireless, of course).

What happened was that he walked out of the interview for some legitimate reason known only to him. Just an act of childish unprofessionalism, you know, the usual O'Reilly repertoire. At the end, he explained how unsatisfied he was with the questions asked and lobbied the usual barbs. Only thing is........this is Fresh Air with Terry Gross, not The O'Reilly Factor. I mean, I just don't think you should act like that... He's just further marginalizing himself.

"We very rarely tell anybody to shut up. I think it's been done 5 times in 7 years." <-- Bill O'Reilly while explaining how legitimate Fox News is...
  • Reply 5 of 33
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Here. I wrote about it today and provided some links.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

But the man sat through about an hour or so of questions about himself, his politics and his television show and was asked almost nothing about his book and what he says in it.

Are you serious?

O'Reilly was downright belligerent for most of the interview. I mean, there's a difference when you interview a humorist and when you interview a self-loving blowhard. He basically talked about himself as much as he could, bringing up point after point about HIM and not his BOOK.

Furthermore, I don't think questions only pertaining to an author's book can really be very good interview. Similarly, I don't think O'Reilly should respond to questions about his book without talking about himself and the events talked about in the book. I mean...O'Reilly must have done 9/10ths of the talking in that interview...so to say that they didn't talk about the book at all and blaming it on Terry Gross is kinda dumb.

Man, I don't think you can justify your comments at all.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Man, I don't think you can justify your comments at all.

Ok.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    I listened to the beginning of the interview, got a burger, and then caught the end of it:

O'Reilly stated that he had come on the show to talk about his book and that he'd been subjected to an attack interview.

Terry Gross did not disagree.

O'Reilly then asked if Gross had been as hard on Al Franken when he had been interviewed by Gross.

Terry Gross stated that she had not been as hard on Franken as she had been with O'Reilly.

O'Reilly then stated that he should have known better to expect fair treatment on NPR.

Terry Gross was kinda gulping for air, voice cracking and on the verge of tears and I was pounding on my dashboard cheering O'Reilly on.

O'Reilly then left the show.

The taped interview ended and then Gross (now composed and all cried out, apparently) read a paragraph of an insulting-to-O'Reilly People Magazine (I think that she said that it was People Magazine) review on the air in what can objectively be described as viscious and triumphant tone of voice.

That's what I heard.

Poor dear Gross.

Bully for Bill O'Reilly!

Aries 1B

PS: I just purchased Coulter's new book. When i am finished with Coulter, I will borrow or steal Franken's book (From each according to his ability, to each according to his need, eh Al?).

Coulter's prose is even more appealing than her cover picture.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aries 1B

Terry Gross was kinda gulping for air, voice cracking and on the verge of tears and I was pounding on my dashboard cheering O'Reilly on.

O'Reilly then left the show.

The taped interview ended and then Gross (now composed and all cried out, apparently) read a paragraph of an insulting-to-O'Reilly People Magazine (I think that she said that it was People Magazine) review on the air in what can objectively be described as viscious and triumphant tone of voice.

You seriously need to check your hearing. Gross is by no means the hysterical woman you make her out to be.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:

You seriously need to check your hearing. Gross is by no means the hysterical woman you make her out to be.

Cheers

Scott

You seriously need to hear the interview; I'm not kidding. Little Red Broomrider went up against the Big Bad Wolf and got her butt mauled. Her voice was cracking under O'Reilly's Righteous Rebuttal to her non-book oriented interview. He also stated that she ought to be ashamed of herself for [paraphrasing-her malpractice of journalism]. She was in a state of (dare I say it?) fear bordering on collapse until he left. He humiliated her nationally in front of her audience. Delicious.

Equal rights are a wonderful thing; I can listen to a Democratic woman get into a verbal fist fight (that she started), lose, and not feel bad at all. Refreshing!

A most satisfactory interview conclusion; O'Reilly walking out of there. Wish that I had it on tape.

He got indignant because she wouldn't talk about the beliefs that he describes in his latest book (I reject his theistic spin completely, by the way, but he's rooting for The Individual, so Okay. He and I come to similar conclusions, but from different beginnings). The Ambusherette got greased by the victim. It's been a good day. A buddy's wife gave birth to a healthy baby girl, Arnold received a mandate from Caleefornee-a, and Terry Gross was impaled by the 'No Spin' Spotlight. I gotta get an MP3 of the whole interview.

Cheers-a-rooty!

Aries 1B
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aries 1B

You seriously need to hear the interview; I'm not kidding.

In case you didn't notice, I'm the one who linked to it up above, and I'm the lefty who thinks O'Reilly was justified in walking out. You yourself admitted that you didn't even listen to the whole thing.

Quote:

Little Red Broomrider went up against the Big Bad Wolf and got her butt mauled.

No. There was no mauling. O'Reilly, I thought, was pretty civil through the whole thing. The only time he got hot was at the end when he made his speech and turned off his mic. Neither namecalling nor wishful thinking will make a mauling out of this interview.

Quote:

Her voice was cracking under O'Reilly's Righteous Rebuttal to her non-book oriented interview.

I'm assuming you mean when she occasionally spoke in a halting manner. If you think that's Gross's voice cracking, you've obviously never listened to her show before.

Quote:

He also stated that she ought to be ashamed of herself for [paraphrasing-her malpractice of journalism].

Yes. Yes he did.

Quote:

She was in a state of (dare I say it?) fear bordering on collapse until he left.

Wow. You just make things up, don't you? Maybe O'Reilly was prancing naked around the studio while he answered her? No, no! Here's what I heard: O'Reilly very clearly had to PEE and so he got off. How about this: He didn't like the way she was conducting the interview and he called her on it. And rightly so. She deserved to get called on it.

Quote:

He humiliated her nationally in front of her audience. Delicious.

I don't know that she was humiliated.

Quote:

Equal rights are a wonderful thing; I can listen to a Democratic woman get into a verbal fist fight (that she started), lose, and not feel bad at all. Refreshing!

Not that I'd make this argument, but here's the way this will get spun: She called him on his nasty tactics and he ran away like a coward.

Quote:

A most satisfactory interview conclusion; O'Reilly walking out of there. Wish that I had it on tape.

Follow the link I posted and you can listen to it as much as you want.

Quote:

He got indignant because she wouldn't talk about the beliefs that he describes in his latest book

No. He got indignant because this was supposed to be an interview about his book, and instead she decided to make it about him and his politics.

And, I believe, he was right to do so. And to be honest, when Coulter did the same thing on Hardball when she was pimping Slander she was far, FAR less civil about it. I was appalled by her behavior then, but I don't know what she was thinking. This, however, was different, I think. This was out of character for both Gross and her show (which I listen to every day).

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Introduction:

-context of being satirzed in Al Franken's book.

-Fox lawsuit against Franken

-NPR scheduled interview with O'Reilly to coincide with the publication of his new book, "Who's Looking Out for You?"

-context of "O'Reilly not being pleased with the questions asked

O'Reilly clip

-he "knew Fresh Air wasn't going to be fair but let it play out"

-"supposed to be about my book"

Reverse chronological order

First Question:

Fox Lawsuit

"Are you sorry you (Fox News) sued Al Franken?"

follow up questions...

answers= me, me, me

Second Quesiton[/u]:

BookTV Expo dispute:

"Asks if he think it's fair of Franken to call him a 'bully'

Third Question: 4:51

Jeremy Glick Interview:

"How much of that (telling him to shut up) is theater and showmanship?"

answer: to try to make that out as some kind of circus is blatantly dishonest and unfair. (as in, telling someone to shut up, get off his show, never come back here again is fair....)

7:53 Second promotion of his book

Fourth Question: 8:00

Janet Maslin's Review of Al Franken's Book.

Asks why he thinks it's a character assasination of Bill O'Reilly when it's just a mixed review of Franken's book.

follow up question: she reads the part of the review in question.

second follow up question: why he would defame her character when he's says he's opposed to character defamation

Bill gets belligerent around 13:04-13:41

third follow up question: janet maslow's review of michael moore's book

fourth follow up question: repeats mixed review status of moore's new book... o'reilly insists it's a totally favorable review...no middle ground

third repeat of bill o'reilly's book.

Fourth Question: 16:15

Polarization of America by News talk shows.

"Do you think talk shows polarize America instead of trying to find common ground?"

Fifth Quesiton:

No Spin Zone?

How can you call it a no spin zone when so much of it based on the opinions of your guest and of yourself?

Sixth Question[/u]: 19:20

Book-cited question about O'Reilly's political views

"What's a stand you have that you think would really surprise people"

Seventh Question: 20:00

Book-cited question about O'Reilly's second thoughts about the war

Have you had any second thoughts about the war or about how the case for war has been presented?

Eighth Question: 21:19

Questions about O'Reilly's development from childhood to political talk show host:

"Bill O'Reilly, were you political as a child? Did you read the newspapers or follow politics?

Bill O'Reilly mentions about how his book goes into further detail about the question asked...

follow up question:

"Was Vietnam a divisive issue for you when you were coming of age?"

talks about the defining moments in his life at that point.

second follow up question: 23:18

"What were some of the issues that policized you?"

O'Reilly goes into how his book talks about the Founding Fathers really did not want a secular society.

Ninth Question: 25:35

Book-cited questions about Religion

Reads paragraph from book and asks whether her analysis is correct:

"it sounds like you have two reasons for believing: 1) just in case [O'Reilly doesn't really disagree but expands on it a bit] 2)

follow up question: 27:22

"Do you think evolution should be taught in schools?"

second follow up question:

"Did you go to Catholic School?"

third follow up quesiton:

"How did you like going to Catholic School?"

Tenth Question: 28:56

Book-cited question about his Parents

Reads paragraph from book:

"What was going on in your house?"

follow up question:

"How did you put your foot down about that?"

"How did that change your relationship?"

Eleventh Quesiton: 31:36

Switching of Political Affiliation

"How did you make a mistake?"

follow up question:

"al franken reprints the registration forms of the republican access... (cut off by bill)"

HE MENTIONS HE DID NOT HEAR THE INTERVIEW WITH AL FRANKEN.

Questions the "fair and balanced-ness" of NPR.

Twelfth Question 34:05

People Magazine review of "Who's Looking Out for You?"

"Bill O'Reilly attacked the reviewer after he negatively reviewed his last book."

follow up question:

"Do you think it might have an effect on book reviewers to know that if they give you a bad review, you're going to be mocking them on your show?"

36:30 The Show Begins!

Attempts to read the People Magazine review of O'Reilly's book...(cut off)...

O'Reilly refers to the entire interview as a "hatchet job"

LOL "Fresh Air? Is this what Fresh Air is?"

O'Reilly pretty much cuts off everything that TG says...

"Defamation about me in EVERY SINGLE WAY"

"Tells TG to get in another business"

"Basically an unfair interview designed to try to trap me into saying something that Harpers can use, and you know it, and you should be ashamed of yourself, and that is the end of this interview"

Makes speech and has last word.

TG Mentions author and book for the final time.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Damn that must've taken a long time!
  • Reply 14 of 33
    >>>>>]In case you didn't notice, I'm the one who linked to it up above<<<<

Thank you very much. I look forward to hearing the entire interview, and, most particularly the last few minutes.

>>>>> I'm the lefty who thinks O'Reilly was justified in walking out. <<<<<

We agree? (aside) Honey? Get me my nitro pills! I'm going into Arrest again!

>>>>>No. There was no mauling. O'Reilly, I thought, was pretty civil through the whole thing. The only time he got hot was at the end when he made his speech and turned off his mic. Neither namecalling nor wishful thinking will make a mauling out of this interview.<<<<<

The part that I heard, at the end, was a mauling. C'mon! He was all over her and she couldn't respond or, when she did respond she had to admit to his accusations. If I were her, I'd say that I'd been through a mauling. Evidently you're made of sterner stuff. Congratulations on your fortitude.

>>>>>I'm assuming you mean when she occasionally spoke in a halting manner. If you think that's Gross's voice cracking, you've obviously never listened to her show before.<<<<<

I've listened to her before and I've heard her go emotional and *she went emotional*. Now I know what it's like to see a UFO, tell people and have no one believe you. Her voice cracked! I heard it!

>>>>>Wow. You just make things up, don't you? Maybe O'Reilly was prancing naked around the studio while he answered her? No, no! Here's what I heard: O'Reilly very clearly had to PEE and so he got off. How about this: He didn't like the way she was conducting the interview and he called her on it. And rightly so. She deserved to get called on it.<<<<<

Midwinter, I'm not making things up, I'm telling you how I heard it. She was floundering. He was assaulting her objectivity in front of her audience (without whom she's finished, or would be if she were on commercial radio) and she admitted that he was right and, I don't think that she refutted any of his claims of bias(?).

>>>>>I don't know that she was humiliated.<<<<<

If I were her, interviewing the Liberal's AntiChrist, and suddenly my honesty, ethics and professionalism were called into question by this same AntiChrist *and I had to admit that the Satanic Claims were true*, I'd have been some kinda humiliated. She didn't sound ecstatic, at the very least.

>>>>>Not that I'd make this argument, but here's the way this will get spun: She called him on his nasty tactics and he ran away like a coward.<<<<<

Fortunately, We've now got that link. People will judge for themselves.

>>>>>Follow the link I posted and you can listen to it as much as you want.<<<<<

I don't know how to thank you.

>>>>>No. He got indignant because this was supposed to be an interview about his book, and instead she decided to make it about him and his politics.

And, I believe, he was right to do so. And to be honest, when Coulter did the same thing on Hardball when she was pimping Slander she was far, FAR less civil about it. I was appalled by her behavior then, but I don't know what she was thinking. This, however, was different, I think. This was out of character for both Gross and her show (which I listen to every day).<<<<<

People decry the end of civility and cordiality in politics. I say good riddance to it. At least people are passionate about their beliefs and the entertainment value is priceless. Deity, how I love it!

Cordially,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 15 of 33
    From Publisher's Weekly Review:

"This surprisingly personal book gets even more personal in the last two chapters where O'Reilly provides examples of his own blunders and vulnerabilities on his path to success."

From Amazon.com Review:

"He still packs a punch, but this time he mixes tales of outrage with practical advice gleaned from his own experiences and mistakes."

The book is very clearly much about him.

Terry Gross devotes about 1/3 of the time to the popular issues surrounding Bill O'Reilly like the Fox Lawsuit, the BookTV Expo event, and the Jeremy Glick Interview. The rest is mostly about the book, reviews of the book, or more than what was presented in the book about Bill O'Reilly the person.

I mean....I'm not quite understanding why an author shouldn't be asked questions that pertain to him- especially if he wrote about those things.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Quote:

Damn that must've taken a long time!

Yeah, it did!

• Reply 17 of 33
    Well, more questions that begin with "In your book you write..." would help.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:

Well, more questions that begin with "In your book you write..." would help.

I don't really buy it... for anyone.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    It's funny that he responds to being called a bully by acting like a bully.

The interview went fine for a while, she asked tough questions and he handled them well.They all pertained to him and his book or related him to his book. Since the book is about his opinions and views it's apropriate for her to ask about him.

Interestingly enough, I thought she was a bit slanted in the beginning too. And I listen to her show as often as possible. She's a great interview, very tough. When she slacked off of him and they began discussing the book itself and his reactions to reviews she in a way was reading something that showed his point of critiqueing him rather than the book. And THAT's when he got mad. He should have walked out after the first barrage, and he ends up leaving for THAT?

I listen to his Radio Show occasionally and do actually like the way he breaks down issues without the pandering to a party. But he comes across like a complete jerk here and it's no wonder he's called a bully. He pulled a Limbaugh and filabustered before walking out. What makes no sense was why he'd wait an hour into the inerview and after all that to leave over something so stupid...
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Wasn't she giving him a chance to respond to his critics and defend his book? He's such a baby. most bullies are. Here's his chance to talk to an audience that normally wouldn't listen to him and what does he do? Insults the interviewer... it's listeners and his critics.

You can't be a loud mouth opinionated jerk and not have people call you on it or at least ask you to defend yourself and your beliefs.

What? he can only talk about himself as long as it's all good?