New AL buyers! get panther for 20 bucks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    So still no luck for anyone with a BTO machine?

My BTO G5 s/n is no good either, and no - I did not leave the dash in. And the phone # to call for Up-to-Date customer service results in an answering service.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    Finally got thru to Up-to-date customer service. They say it has nothing to do with if it was a stock or BTO unit, just that some s/n's were not entered into the database depending on timing of the order. Gotta fax it in...\
  • Reply 23 of 56
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tjosal

Finally got thru to Up-to-date customer service. They say it has nothing to do with if it was a stock or BTO unit, just that some s/n's were not entered into the database depending on timing of the order. Gotta fax it in...\

And so, they said you would qualify if you fax it in?
  • Reply 24 of 56
    The person I spoke to seemed accustomed to entering serial numbers that are not recognized. Not sure what calling helps since they of course look at the same database that is checked on-line.

The person gave no indication that there would be any problem qualifying via fax. We'll see.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Yes!!! Qualified a BTO PB 15.

When I put in the actual purchase date (9/18 ), the site could not locate my serial number. So i tried with a purchase date of 9/27 and it worked.

Edit: edited for the smiley. it took my 8 and turned it into a smiley.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jamil

When I put in the actual purchase date (9/18), the site could not locate my serial number. So i tried with a purchase date of 9/27 and it worked.

The reports keep getting stranger and stranger. Congrats.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jamil

When I put in the actual purchase date (9/18), the site could not locate my serial number. So i tried with a purchase date of 9/27 and it worked.

I just tried the same thing I tried yesterday with my BTO 12" PB... same date of purchase (my invoice date), same store location ("Apple Online Store, Cupertino, CA"), same serial number. It didn't work yesterday, but today it worked. Perhaps it just was a matter of it taking longer for BTO serial numbers to get entered into Apple's database.

Another change... the shipping charge went away. Free shipping wasn't available when I placed an order for Panther for my G5. The minimum shipping charge was $4 then. I wonder if the $4 will be taken off my previous order?
  • Reply 28 of 56
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Worked with my BTO!

Ahhh feels good to not have to pirate it
  • Reply 29 of 56
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    Thanks for finding out how I could get it for $20. Since I am a college student, this is Awesome. Thanks a bunch folks.
  • Reply 30 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Worked with my BTO!

I worked for me too! glad to pay apple 20 bucks for the update. I used the true date of my purchase 10/4 and it took no problem. Makes me feel like they care. sniff Maybe our phone calls made a difference...Naaah!!!

oh hey my 100th post whoppee!
  • Reply 31 of 56
    Quote:

Worked with my BTO!

tired of being a pirate? YAR MATE! i was able to qualify my BTO PB15" too!
  • Reply 32 of 56
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I just tried the same thing I tried yesterday with my BTO 12" PB... same date of purchase (my invoice date), same store location ("Apple Online Store, Cupertino, CA"), same serial number. It didn't work yesterday, but today it worked. Perhaps it just was a matter of it taking longer for BTO serial numbers to get entered into Apple's database.

Another change... the shipping charge went away. Free shipping wasn't available when I placed an order for Panther for my G5. The minimum shipping charge was $4 then. I wonder if the $4 will be taken of my previous order?

JADP (just another data point --- I am massaging data tonight): I had almost the exact same experience. My BTO S/N didn't work this week, but for some reason I tried again tonite (hadn't read this thread today), and it worked. Didn't get charged the $4 for shipping (though I did get dinged $1.55 for tax).

I can't remember (or what do you think?): is this a clean install set, or will it just upgrade existing installs. No worries, either way. Just curious.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    My BTO 15" purchased 9/16 also qualified tonight. It would not take my serial # earlier. No shipping charge, $1 tax
  • Reply 34 of 56
    Mine also works now after coming up empty earlier (BTO G5). I just decided to wait and try again, and it paid off. They must be SLOW in getting the database of numbers squared away...
  • Reply 35 of 56
    I tried for the upgrade last week when I first read this thread. The serial number on my new 15" bto from Apple Online Store was not recognized so I called customer service and was told I wasn't eligible for the upgrade since I purchased the PB before Oct. 8th. Disappointing response considering I've only had the computer for 2 weeks and haven't even made my first payment yet. After reading this thread this morning I figured I'd try it again and it worked. $21.60 with free shipping.

Yeah... I just spent more money!

btw... this is my first post. I've been a voyeur on this site for about 6 weeks. Thanks everyone for all their tips, gossip and advice.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    Quote:

Bloody hell it doesn't even recognize my serial number. Would be nice to own panther legitimately.

Make sure you don't have the spaces/dashes in it... I copied it not from Sys Profiler, but by clicking on the "version" of your os on About this Mac, 2x... then type that exactly.

(I also entered my date of delivery, not of order. I ordered on the 16th.)

1.25, superd, 1 stick of 512, etc...

good luck!
  • Reply 37 of 56
    jxfreakjxfreak Posts: 138member
    Dang it! My Powerbook 12 SD was delivered on the 7th but ordered on the 23rd as a BTO and it still doesn't recognize my SN. I called in and the lady said I didn't qualify and hung up on me

Are there any of you PB owners that faxed the form in and qualify?
  • Reply 38 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by jxfreak

Dang it! My Powerbook 12 SD was delivered on the 7th but ordered on the 23rd as a BTO and it still doesn't recognize my SN.

Did you register the computer? For some it seems they need to register and then wait a couple of days and try online again. Perhaps by now the glitch has been fixed, who knows?
  • Reply 39 of 56
    After not getting recognised last week I tried my 15" 1.25 BTO serial again this week and it was accepted just fine. Bought the machine Sept 21st.

• Reply 40 of 56
    I called AppleStore UK about 15 mins ago and my PB15 serial was accepted fine:-

Ordered: 29/9/2003

Delivered: 20/10/2003

I am very happy with my new purchase, even if my cable co decided to do something very drastic last night. No, phone and no internet from about 9pm last night, just as I was setting up my AE base station. So I am showing off my new toy in work and using the connection here to DL my updates.