Concept PC 2001 from HP/Intel

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.designtechnica.com/article.php?sid=689&mode=thread&order=1"; target="_blank">http://www.designtechnica.com/article.php?sid=689&mode=thread&ord er=1</a>

It's getting slashdotted right now, but here's an image.

Wireless flat panel, wireless keyboard and mouse. Bluetooth everything.

Sure beats the OttomanPC concept Intel unveiled a while back.

Comments?

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: jutus ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    here's a mirror of the pics:

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: crayz ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Wireless flat planel *drool*

Are you seeing this Apple? How much ass would that kick...
  • Reply 3 of 22
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I wonder how they get enough bandwidth over BLUETOOTH to drive a display. I thought BlueTooth was low-bandwidth.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    Um, it doesn't have a wireless display. Read the article again. It uses DVI.

The only real new stuff here is USB 2, which is hardly exciting, and Bluetooth, which is yet to prove itself as a useful technology.

It even uses a non-standard ATI card, just like the original Cube. Remember how much that angered people?

Why on earth would you put the DVD drive in the display unit? If it develops a fault, you have to send your LCD via UPS or Fedex?!

It also looks like some microwave concept from a 50's infomercial.

And I take it the mouse and keyboard need batteries?

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Belle ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 22
    [quote]The new concept is that of wireless keyboard and mouse, and an 18? flat screen LCD monitor to top things off. But adding to this, of course, is Intel?s latest processor, the Pentium 4. The whole concept is that of a better working environment with the best technology too, but mainly to get the job done. The 2001 Concept PC uses Bluetooth technology to connect all the components and uses an RF wireless keyboard and mouse. The concept PC does not skimp on graphics either; utilizing a new ATI Radeon 7500 videocard with DVI output.

<hr></blockquote>

hmmm it says it uses bluetooth to connect "everything", yet uses a new ATI Radeon 7500 with "DVI" out.... somthing tells me that everything is wireless except the monitor...

bluetooth = +1Mbps over short range

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Blizaine ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Until somebody comes up with wireless power, these wireless systems aren't terribly exciting. I'm not interested in having more batteries that need replacing (ie keyboard and mouse). As for the display, making it wireless won't get them much--it will still need a power cord. Why not just adopt ADC and get the same reduction to one wire?

I'm with you belle--I thought the cd/dvd drive in the display was a weird move. Then I noticed the picture with the CPU stashed away under the desk. I think they wanted the drive to remain easily accessible when the CPU was tucked away somewhere. I sure wouldn't want to have to crack open my display to upgrade a cd/dvd drive.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    i would love to have a wireless mouse and keyboard.....not the ones where you have to plug in a base station in the back of the computer......but where everything is internal, cutting back on clutter and wires.....everyone advertises that by getting a wireless mouse, you'll cut down on clutter and chords, but you still have a chord plugged in the back of your computer.......

a wireless mouse and keyboard like these would kick ass
  • Reply 8 of 22
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    There is actually a little moving magnet coil embedded into every key which generates just enough power to send a control signal to the main box. Ditto the mouse, there are two little low friction rollers at 90 degree directions in the underside that rotate a magnet through a MMC for the same effect.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    I dunno, I kinda like it. If that was an mac, I'd be ordering one right now (course it's only a concept ) Looks like a "Cube-like system" small, cool, kinda the goal of the cube. Too bad it's a PC tho.

[Wanted to add- How come IBM doesn't make any Macs or comps with a mac chip? I know OS liscencing but if IBM could be allowed to make macs, I think that would be better then the clone wars, only IBM and Apple to make macs, hell IBM makes our chips yet makes PC boxes only.

-hahaha, oops, it's an HP

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: KidRed ]

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: KidRed ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

<strong>

It also looks like some microwave concept from a 50's infomercial.

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Belle ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

True! Looks a lot like a built in microwave in a kitchen. Maybe it is just the low rez picture but that was my first reaction. What are those two "dials" at upper right? They look like a time selector and a power selector on a microwave.

Why is the drive to the right of the display? They should have put the drive behind the display making the display a little thicker but saving a lot of wall real estate.

A wireless mouse might sound good but the first thing I'd have to do in my house is put a chain on it and nail it down or it will get lost in a week.

Are there any speakers? They don't show in the picture.

The curious thing is that for a concept design it is rather pedestrian. What is available here that you can't buy off-the-shelf today? An 18inch display? Wireless mouse? Wireless keyboard? I guess the integrated LCD/optical drive is unique.

Why not add cooler functionality? How about an acoustical zone in front of the computer so that when you are positioned within some narrow range you get great audio but outside that area the sound is highly muted so as not to disturb those around you (available technology). How about a highly focused microphone so that you can do voice input over ambient noise without havinig to wear a microphone? How about a fingerprint scanner as a security device (getting common on laptops in Japan)? How about a fanless computer (sorry, already been done)?
  • Reply 11 of 22
    When looking at HP's Concepts you have got to ask your self a question, what crazzy conept computers are laying around coportino? Don't think that just beacuse apple dose ot post pics of the concepost on the internet it means they do nto make them. And I am sure appls conepts would blow this thiing away.

A second thing. I have noticed all these companys (HP, Compaq, Dell etc) Post all these fance prototyps on the internet yet every year there computers continue to just be bashe boxes with serial mouse ports etc. That is funny :-D

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/mikesicons/Menu3.html"; target="_blank"></a>
  • Reply 12 of 22
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote] Are there any speakers? They don't show in the picture.<hr></blockquote>

I think the 2 circles on the right of the monitor are the speakers.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    IBM does make computers with PowerPC chips. All their Super computers use them although they are a variant called POWER (the Power2, Power3, Power3 II, and Power4). They were used in a family of servers called the rs/6000 but they are now called the p-series (p610, p660, p690, etc.). There is also rumors of IBM working on a lowcost workstation for 3D using their advanced G3 processors.

These systems run the AIX operating system (an IBM Unix) or in some cases they also support Linux. They may be able to run on OS X... if Apple released the source and let us recompile it.

&lt;edit: changed 'not' to 'now'. One letter makes all the difference..&gt;

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: Outsider ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 22
    jutusjutus Posts: 272member
    Very true Michaelm8000. The "branded" PC manufacturers like HP, IBM, and to a lesser extent, Dell, would love to see the PC move beyond it's current stale box format. Too bad they are part of a platform and have to compete with mom+pop pc outfitters who can offer a better spec'd machine for a fraction of the price.

I think if anyone can take the pc platform past these dark ages, it would be intel making their own pc's.

One of the pc manufacturers should come up with a component layout from which they could produce both laptops and desktops. Miniturization is key.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    HA! HA! It looks like a 1950's portable TV.

Apple has had some fantastic prototypes in the past (portable Apple 2 laptops, huge great printers, what turned into the TAM was originaly a concept for a low end system, etc. Theres a book called Apple Design with loads of them in), it's just that Apple are more secretive/paranoid about showing off ideas & possible future products.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by Mediaman:

<strong>HA! HA! It looks like a 1950's portable TV.

Apple has had some fantastic prototypes in the past (portable Apple 2 laptops, huge great printers, what turned into the TAM was originaly a concept for a low end system, etc. Theres a book called Apple Design with loads of them in), it's just that Apple are more secretive/paranoid about showing off ideas & possible future products.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And a huse reason why they are ao secritive is beacuse there computers have inivatove desings that if Any of these PC manuafaturas got a glimps of a prototyp they would scramble to put out a chep copy cat veison of the computer. Look at the iMac. Affter it's reasles every one and there brother tryed to make a iMac ish Computer. Imagin if these manufatures saw the imac 1 year beafor it was realesd it would be a disaster!

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/mikesicons/Menu3.html"; target="_blank"></a>
  • Reply 17 of 22
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    This UBB needs a spell checker pronto!
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Whats with those stupid looking knobs on the front...

The display should take up the whole compartment or else it looks ugly.

The computer is still being placed under the desk. Its good to have it out of the way, however its still there.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    jutusjutus Posts: 272member
    Offtopic:

Michaelm: Your spelling is getting worse by the minute! Actually, it doesn' t seem to be bad spelling as much as it is lazy typing.

Take your time when expressing yourself, and you'll find it'll make a huse difference.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Tech TV had a story on this during comdex. The unit on tv looked good, kind of like the HAL9000 from 2001. The first circle in the upper right is a camera and the second is the speaker. The idea is that a company could have workers in a cube farm with just the screen, keyboard and mouse in the cube and the main brains of the computer in a central closet. HP says that you would switch out the computer part of the system every 2 to 3 years and only change out the screen part every 5 to 8 years to save money.

This looks like it would be great for big companys that need to have 100's of pc's up and running. I know what users can do to a computer box left on the desk. Keep it away in a closet and locked up nice and safe. If the screen or cd-rom drive goes out just swap out with a spair unit.

Later Steve