What direction is the iMac going in?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Currently, the iMac uses a 7455 G4. So what's the next step? I think the iMac is due for some sort of revision. I love the design and think it will stay, but I also think there will be slight modifications to the design just like there was for the original iMac/iMac DV. What's the direction it wil go in?

Will it go 7447, 7457, then 970?

7457 to 970?

Or will it go right 7457, then G3 Mojave, then G5?

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I don't think Apple will use the 7457. They seem to have decided that the 7447 is the better product, with a smaller footprint, lower power consumption and lower cost.

The next iMac is due out in the 1st half of next year (based on Apple's standard ~2 year cycle).

Apple has three options.

1) Develop a new G4 iMac, and then develop a seperate G5 iMac as the iMac after that. Like the FireWire iMacs.

2) Develop a new G4 iMac capable of using a 90nm G5, and sell G5 Revision B. iMacs (6 months to a year after the initial iMacs). Like the Blue and White G3.

3) Develop a new G5 iMac to be released when the 90nm G5 is ready. It's the riskiest of the three options, if the 90nm G5 doesn't match projected power consumption and cost. Still, Apple did this with the first PowerBook G4, and they had to rely on Motorola that time.

Barto
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

I don't think Apple will use the 7457. They seem to have decided that the 7447 is the better product, with a smaller footprint, lower power consumption and lower cost.

The next iMac is due out in the 1st half of next year (based on Apple's standard ~2 year cycle).

Apple has three options.

1) Develop a new G4 iMac, and then develop a seperate G5 iMac as the iMac after that. Like the FireWire iMacs.

2) Develop a new G4 iMac capable of using a 90nm G5, and sell G5 Revision B. iMacs (6 months to a year after the initial iMacs). Like the Blue and White G3.

3) Develop a new G5 iMac to be released when the 90nm G5 is ready. It's the riskiest of the three options, if the 90nm G5 doesn't match projected power consumption and cost. Still, Apple did this with the first PowerBook G4, and they had to rely on Motorola that time.

Barto

So you think the G3 "Mojave" will never go into the iMac and that the iMac will go straight from the 7447 to version 2 of the G5?

What's the difference BTW between the 970 and the 90nm G5?
  • Reply 3 of 40
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I have this feeling that they'll release a top of the line G5 iMac, with the middle and lower level machines still using a G4. But I also expect it to be crippled in some way so it's not as fast as the low end tower of the time. It'll be that killer 'feature' that makes everyone splurge for the highest profit margin product.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I have this feeling that they'll release a top of the line G5 iMac, with the middle and lower level machines still using a G4. But I also expect it to be crippled in some way so it's not as fast as the low end tower of the time. It'll be that killer 'feature' that makes everyone splurge for the highest profit margin product.

When do you think that will happen?
  • Reply 5 of 40
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dferigmu

When do you think that will happen?

Unfortunately I don't know. If I had to guess, I'd say the G5 gets bumped in January. At that point the iMac gets a facelift - no G5. Then at the next revision instead of updated the entire iMac lineup (I'll assume they can't bump the entire iMac lineup because Motorola won't be able to add better processors) they just add the crippled G5 model.

I guess that would be Macworld next summer.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    I have information that the iMac is due for a "complete revision" in January or early spring. Can't imagine what they would do to make it any better, but my source tells me that it is completely different from the current iMac design, The original release date was late this year but couldn't hit the appropiate price point, so it was pushed back to MWSF or beyond. iMac G5?
  • Reply 7 of 40
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    why can't iMac go 970 when PM's go 3, so that the iMac will get the 1.6 gz 970?? and if they use that water cooled processor then heat won't be a problem
  • Reply 8 of 40
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dferigmu

So you think the G3 "Mojave" will never go into the iMac and that the iMac will go straight from the 7447 to version 2 of the G5?

What's the difference BTW between the 970 and the 90nm G5?

I don't think Apple will use the rumored next gen G3 (with a G3 core, G4 vector unit and G5 series interconnect) in the iMac. If such a chip does appear, it will be destined for the low-end Macs like iBooks and eMacs, not the iMac (which has become quiet a high-end product).

The 970 is built using a 130nm process. The first "upgrade" for the 970 will be moving to a 90nm process. This means smaller chips with less power consumption. The end result is easier to use, easier to cool chips.

The 970 HAS to move to 90nm before it can be used in PowerBooks and iMacs. It is simply too hot at present to be used in those computers.

Barto
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by unemployeed

I have information that the iMac is due for a "complete revision" in January or early spring. Can't imagine what they would do to make it any better, but my source tells me that it is completely different from the current iMac design, The original release date was late this year but couldn't hit the appropiate price point, so it was pushed back to MWSF or beyond. iMac G5?

Sounds good to me!

I have been waiting for something like that to happen so I could finally get a new iMac. Just like the original G3 iMac got a remake, I expect this iMac to get some sort of remake as well, even if it's minimal.

My question is, is your source credible, and what does he think will change with the iMac?
  • Reply 10 of 40
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    How about a 20" special limited edition G5 version at say $3000, any takers?
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

You Read My Mind . I would just add a slot loading drive.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Come on, the market can bear a bigger price tag, go for 6 grand.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Not me, but someone would. People love huge displays now. A few years ago a 15" or a 17" would be perfect. I honestly think that some people aren't buying an iMac because they can get a bigger display on another computer. It would sell. Some would still avoid it because it would still be marketed as a consumer product (as opposed to pro). I would get one, but I need something with a little more power than the iMac offers.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    The new imac:
    • 360 rotating screen: portrait, landscape and tablet mode: but no tablet pc yet)

• 17" or 20" widescreen displays

• all-in-one card reader: pc card, xd, memory stick, secure digitial, compact flash, microdrive

• a few ports on the front

• built-in bluetooth

• dv in, video in and out

• wacom-type tablet option

• wall mounting option

I am imagining the design will be a bit more industrial looking, and a little less curvy.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by jade

The new imac:

360 rotating screen: portrait, landscape and tablet mode: but no tablet pc yet)
    17" or 20" widescreen displays
    all-in-one card reader: pc card, xd, memory stick, secure digitial, compact flash, microdrive
    a few ports on the front
    built-in bluetooth
    dv in, video in and out
    wacom-type tablet option
    wall mounting option

I am imagining the design will be a bit more industrial looking, and a little less curvy.

Personally, I like the curves a lot. I don't want the iMac to be more industrial. I just want it to have a better graphics card and a lower-speed G5.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    It is a distinct possibility that the latest generation of iMacs are using the 7447 processor with 256KB of L2 cache (the other 256KB of the 512KB total disabled). If Motorola was having yield issues with the larger L2 cache on the 74x7 processors in their new 90nm process, disabling portions of cache with defects and using these chips in iMacs would have been a possible short term workaround problem.

I have one of the new 17" iMacs and it is generating surprisingly little heat compared to a 1.25GHz 7455 in a PowerMac. Unless Apple was able to work some wonders into the cooling system of new iMacs, I am highly suspicious that Apple switched to 7447 on these platforms. The documentation on Apple's web page does not have any references to Motorola part numbers. It simply says "1.25GHz PowerPC processor" and "256KB L2 cache".
  • Reply 17 of 40
    For the next iMac:

3 USB 2.0 ports are simpy not enough. One is used up by the keyboard (unless you have the Bluetooth keyboard, of course), one for the printer, one for scanner. Still need at least two more ports - one for the PDA, one for the Digital Camera. One of the biggest selling points of the iMac is simplifying the setup and reducing the cable mess on user's desk. Having to use a USB hub kind of defeats this argument.

One option would be to increase the number of USB ports to 5. There are several dirt cheap PCI-USB controllers out that that provide 5 USB2.0 ports, so the challenge will be physically fitting these ports. One solution is a new keyboard that has 4 USB ports on it instead of 2.

Of course, if newer PDAs come with Bluetooth and newer digital cameras come with 802.11b/g, there may be less demand for USB ports in the future.

Two FireWire ports are not enough. One is taken up by iPod, and the other one for a FireWire extennal drive. Still need at least one more port for a Camcorder.

Having a larger monitor option would be good. A 18" 4:3 or 20" 16:9 monitor may still be mechanically manageable.

Is it possible to replace the SODIMM memory upgrade slot with a regular DIMM slot?

Airport Extreme / Bluetooth combo card. Maybe they can share the same antenna?

1.5 and 1.25 7447 processors with 512KB L2 cache. Of course, a 1.6 or 1.8GHz 90nm G5 would even be better!

Make the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse standard for the high end iMac. Even less cable clutter!
  • Reply 18 of 40
    I would like to see something that is as silent as my new 15 alu PowerBook . MY 15 g4 superdrive iMac is so loud compared to the pbook. Really wish it was as quiet and fast.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    I think the immediate future probably holds the following:

(Aside from the obvious CPU, memory and HD updates)

- Minor cosmetic refinements

- 19"-20" display for high-end; 17" for low-end

- slot loading drive

I think that standard bluetooth keyboard and mouse would confirm what I have been thinking about what Apple is trying to do (at least w/iMac)...make everything disappear except the input devices and the display.

Imagine for a moment the base of iMac getting smaller, display getting larger, keyboard/mouse wires going away.

Suddenly you have this "floating" display and untethered input devices. Imagine some kind of "wireless FireWire" for iPod.

The "computer" begins to fade into the background.

You see this trend in other products, making them even a few millimeters and ounces smaller/lighter (iPod). Apple seems to be on a quest to eliminate anything extraneous from their products (extra size, weight, wires). Legend has it that Steve has always hated wires/cables. So do I.

That said, as I understand it, there are some logistical problems with making the BT keyboard and mouse standard. Something to do with booting up for the first time and needing a KB/mouse.

Not sure about this though.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

I think the immediate future probably holds the following:

(Aside from the obvious CPU, memory and HD updates)

- Minor cosmetic refinements

- 19"-20" display for high-end; 17" for low-end

- slot loading drive

I think that standard bluetooth keyboard and mouse would confirm what I have been thinking about what Apple is trying to do (at least w/iMac)...make everything disappear except the input devices and the display.

Imagine for a moment the base of iMac getting smaller, display getting larger, keyboard/mouse wires going away.

Suddenly you have this "floating" display and untethered input devices. Imagine some kind of "wireless FireWire" for iPod.

The "computer" begins to fade into the background.

You see this trend in other products, making them even a few millimeters and ounces smaller/lighter (iPod). Apple seems to be on a quest to eliminate anything extraneous from their products (extra size, weight, wires). Legend has it that Steve has always hated wires/cables. So do I.

That said, as I understand it, there are some logistical problems with making the BT keyboard and mouse standard. Something to do with booting up for the first time and needing a KB/mouse.

Not sure about this though.

I think a smaller base and bigger screen doesn't make sense. If the iMac comes with a 19" screen expect a bigger base if anything.