Kill Bill - Volume 1

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I went to see Kill Bill today. I never really got caught up in the hype preceeding the release, and only started to get hyped up for it in the past 3 weeks or so.

The Bottom Line: It's Tarantino's best movie so far. It is - as many reviewers have stated - probably the most violent film ever released in the United States - hands down. If you can't tolerate rampant decapitation via samurai sword, dismemberment, brutal beatings, and gushing blood that could put The Evil Dead series to shame don't even think of going.

Other than that, it is really a brilliant movie, once you get past the fact it is a pure orgy of violence, the likes of which have rarely been seen in film history. I'm just a little bit out of it at the moment so I'm having some trouble explaining exactly how brilliant this movie is.

A pure distillation of pop culture? Yes.

A ride that will leave you feeling exhausted at the end? Yes

The greatest martial arts movie ever made by a U.S director? Yes

Better split in two? Yes.

The latter point has been a big deal lately. The original running time of the first cut was over 4 hours. Unfortunately there wasn't much that could be removed to bring it down to something distributors and theatre owners would be comfortable with. Harvey Weinstien suggested splitting it into two parts and releasing them several months apart. (Volume 2 comes out in February 2004).

A lot of people - myself included - bitched and moaned about it.

I'm not complaining anymore.

It's prefect as a two hour segment. Most movies would suffer for this, but Kill Bill stops just before you get wiped out from all the action. I say that because for some reason, due to the fact there is just so much going on it wears you out after a while.

Anyway, I highly reccomend it to those with a high tolerance of violence and gore. Ebert gave it four stars, and I think I'll have to agree with his assessment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    i agree completely although i'll withhold judgment on if it's his best for a while.

a couple behind us left the theater during the animated sequence funnily enough, ironically, it's the only violent part that isn't dealt with humorously. also some people brought their kids...oh man.

two hacked off thumbs up here!
  • Reply 2 of 60
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    i think the entire theater jumped when the opening scene played through.

my god...talk about an opener...
  • Reply 3 of 60
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Just came back from seeing it as well...

It's awesome!

Not only for the usual Tarantino's dialogue but also for his fearless nature in broaching taboo subjects (coma scene).

The way he cuts from animation into live action to black and white was brilliant. The camera angles and closeups were used to perfection.

Some may find it a tad excessive in violence, but it really is a reflection of many of the old Japanese and Chinese Kung-Fu movies of the past. I wouldn't recommend it if you're quesy about blood.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    great flick.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    This is really good to hear. The trailer makes it look really iffy, but I couldn't imagine crap coming from him at this time.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

i agree completely although i'll withhold judgment on if it's his best for a while.

a couple behind us left the theater during the animated sequence funnily enough, ironically, it's the only violent part that isn't dealt with humorously. also some people brought their kids...oh man.

two hacked off thumbs up here!

When I was buying my ticket, someone came up to the cashier next to me and said "One adult and one child for Kill Bill" and someone else brought an 18 month year old baby to the movie and let it whimper throughout the entire flick.

I wanted to throw the dad off the f*cking roof.

Parents are so damn irresponsible these days.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I really didn't understand the movie and its brilliance...
  • Reply 8 of 60
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    the reviews from my area say "it's great, but has a ridiculously abrupt ending...", due mostly to tarantino's out-of-sequence brand of storytelling. in other movies where a sequel is inevitable, there is a progression from beginning to end. not so with this.

i am tempted to simply wait for it to come out on dvd and watch it immediately before seeing vol. 2.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    rok, you will kick yourself if you do. the only people who didn't like the ending were "pissy pants" who were probably not there of there own volition.

the ending was tremendous.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

I really didn't understand the movie and its brilliance...

Nothing to understand...Tarantino movies are not meant to drive home some social or moral issues...they're just there for you to be jolted, moved and experienced and enjoyed.

The brilliance comes in different forms...personally I like his dialogue, but his unorthodox sequencing and how a story unfolds have also been mentioned.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Nothing to understand...Tarantino movies are not meant to drive home some social or moral issues...they're just there for you to be jolted, moved and experienced and enjoyed.

The brilliance comes in different forms...personally I like his dialogue, but his unorthodox sequencing and how a story unfolds have also been mentioned.

Eh. Does anyone outside QT's hardcore fan base really care?
  • Reply 12 of 60
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I've always thought his dialogue was forced. I don't mean the acting or delivery, but the actual text. Not that either director makes high art, but I always felt that Guy Ritchie does a much better job of creating the type of dialogue Tarantino is going for.

I'll see KILL BILL, because I do like the disjointed storytelling and I do like some of Tarantino's characters. I'm not sure I actually like his films though.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Eh. Does anyone outside QT's hardcore fan base really care?

To each his own, but I'll take Tarantino over 99% of the crap being produced today in Hollywood.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    I was waiting for this movie, for the longest time. I?ve even read some of the script, good stuff. Ironically enough I haven?t seen it yet, tomorrow is the day. I didn?t read the rest of the post, cuz I don?t want for you guys to spoil it for me. Cant wait>
  • Reply 15 of 60
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I wonder if Roger Ebert liked it

Quote:

"Kill Bill: Volume 1" shows Quentin Tarantino so effortlessly and brilliantly in command of his technique that he reminds me of a virtuoso violinist racing through "Flight of the Bumble Bee" -- or maybe an accordion prodigy setting a speed record for "Lady of Spain." I mean that as a sincere compliment. The movie is not about anything at all except the skill and humor of its making. It's kind of brilliant.

Hummmm? Little ambiguous there. Hard to tell if he thinks it's any good or not.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

To each his own, but I'll take Tarantino over 99% of the crap being produced today in Hollywood.

So if Charlie's Angels III would be directed by Quentin, would you go see it?

I know, most evil question!
  • Reply 17 of 60
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Just saw the movie ...

the cinematography in this film was awesome, especially the animation [even though it was a touch long] and the black/white.

The storyline was decent, though I'm sure the next one will unravel the story a bit better.

The whole beginning was great though! Everything else was so-so.

Albeit, I did like the movie, just not as much as I thought/hoping to.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    I loved it. Most fun I've had with a movie all yeat.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    i thought it was really good. not his best (its tough to beat reservoir dogs), but really really good. i didn't think it was overly violent, because the blood and gore seemed more comical than disgusting. i dont think swords of any strength can do what they did. and blood doesn't really flow like that, so for its lack of realism is wasn't disgusting. I liked how he did that. One thing i didn't like about it was the scene transitions (deliberately marking chapters and times). maybe thats an old kongfu thing or something, but i liked reservoir and pulp, where the order of events takes a little bit of thinking to figure out. another thing, i think it would've been cooler to have done the animation part iwht real actors. overall, it was a really great movie.

domo arugato, mr. roboto.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    I thought it was pretty good...not sure if it was great though. Uma kicked ass doubleplusgood. Playing "spot the low budget Hong Kong/Japanese/70s Kung Fu/ultra-violent/cop show reference" was fun (it was perticularly cool that he actually got one of the Battle Royale cast to play GoGo). I do think it would have been way more fun as a full three hour movie though.

Vol 2: when Uma goes for Michael Madsen I reckon its going to be a Sergio Leone homage...and I figure Darryl Hannah will be offed 70's cop show stylee (possibly in a car chase?). Whaddyathink?