Chances of Dual G5 Powerbook in Jan

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    sh0ewaxsh0ewax Posts: 114member

Sry...didn't do research before I posted.

~Never shows his face on forums again...

Maciek
  • Reply 22 of 39
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sh0eWax

Sry...didn't do research before I posted.

~Never shows his face on forums again...

Maciek

Don't be silly, you will show your face again : it's just AI. You just recieve your first lesson intituled : how thicken your skin quickly in ten lessons
  • Reply 23 of 39
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    Quote:

September the 4th 2003

Hardware: IBM to produce 0.06um PowerPCs by the end of the year.

macosXrumors

But in all seriousness how about Dual Core Power5 derivative in 2005

(In a PowerBook that is (water cooling)).
  • Reply 24 of 39
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    You're not a real member until you've had one flame war and at least one public lashing.

Welcome aboard.

• Reply 25 of 39
    sh0ewaxsh0ewax Posts: 114member
    Thanks, prolly shoulda been thinking with my real brain rather than imagination prior to posting that...

Anyway, what might be in the works for the next PB rev?
  • Reply 26 of 39
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Hey, don't sweat it. At least you weren't one of the geniuses asking Apple Store personnel about G5 iPods, or claiming that Windows was coming out for the G5.

The general consensus around here is that the earliest we'll see a G5 PowerBook (with a single G5 ) is late next summer.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

So what are the chances? I've heard alot of speculations in various threads, but what are the actual chances of PB getting the dual G5's by Macworld(?) in January?...at best slim?

Maciek

Chances are about the same as Apple making a Hostile-Takeover of Microsoft, but then wait a minute...
  • Reply 28 of 39
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Thanks, prolly shoulda been thinking with my real brain rather than imagination prior to posting that...

Anyway, what might be in the works for the next PB rev?

It's ok. After all, this is AI, and some degree of oddnes sis expected.

As for the next revision PB, it depends on how long until a G5. There are two options for a next generation PB:

A better G4 + ram/HD/GPU updates.

A G5 PB + ram/HD/GPU updates.

The first option is basically an incremental upgrade and is what I think will probably happen sometime around March. The second option could happen sometime around June if IBM gets a die shrunk 970 chip out sometime by December/January. There is alot more to a G5 PB than the CPU and it is a considerable effort to get such a CPU into a laptop.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    I don't know what the chances were before this, but whatever they were, they just got a whole lot better!
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

Didn't hell freeze over last week?

Only part of it
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:

[B]So what are the chances? I've heard alot of speculations in various threads, but what are the actual chances of PB getting the dual G5's by Macworld(?) in January?...at best slim?

]

On a scale of 1-100? I'd say about 2.

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/topic/39023-1.html

• Reply 32 of 39
    No...I'd say more like 0.002 out of 100.00. That's just my guess. Right now I'd say that we are at an ackward moment in the portable line-up and everything will stay g4 until around September of 2004.

Great time to be an ibooker. Not the best time to be a powerbooker (although you're reign on top will be coming soon powerbookers, and will last for much longer...).
  • Reply 33 of 39
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    Than chances of a dual g5 pb is a lot better than the quad g5 pb.

unless the pb casing is made out of krypton, the case would melt.

no pb g5 until late 2004. and forget dual in pb.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Big Mac

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet. It's about as useful as tits on a boar.

Hey!!

My friend is a boar farmer and he says tits on a boar are very useful!!

I mean the little guys gotta eat something before they head off to the sausage factory!!
  • Reply 35 of 39
    I like this thread.

There have been more funny animal analogies than I've seen in a long time.

-> tits on a boar -

-> celluloid dog -
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

You are never going to get dual CPUs in a laptop, let alone dual G5s in a laptop let alone Dual G5's by this coming January in a PB. It is NOT going to happen

Whoever told you this is smoking cheap crack.

All processors are going to go dual over the next few years -- multiple cores per die looks like its going to become the norm. Of course this is certainly not this January, and probably not by Jan '05 either. I'd be very surprised to see one G5 in a laptop before May '04 at the earliest.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

All processors are going to go dual over the next few years -- multiple cores per die looks like its going to become the norm. Of course this is certainly not this January, and probably not by Jan '05 either. I'd be very surprised to see one G5 in a laptop before May '04 at the earliest.

Even mentioning May '04 as a possibility seems to put you among the more optimistic, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Surely, given the increasingly creaky G4 system architecture, it would make more sense to have a dual G4 laptop - in the unlikely event that there is ever any dual proc PB? Wouldn't all the G5's improvements - FSB etc - make such a move unnecessary?

And wouldn't heat issues be doubled? I ask because the perceived wisdom around here is that the process shrink, though effective to an extent, will itslef be constrained by frequency jumps and leakage.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    There isn't going to be any dual processor PowerBook G5s anytime soon. Be that as it may, one has to wonder what will be the next move for the PowerBooks given that the iBooks now have a G4.

The iBooks have the older G4 processor. Apple couldn't advance the older processor much beyond 1 GHz in notebooks, so what will Apple do with the G4 in iBooks in the next rev? Move them to the new 7447? That would put them somewhat more on level playing field with the PowerBooks if they continue with the G4.

Does that mean dual processor PowerBook G4s in the next revision to distinguish the iBook from the PowerBook? Or can they actually squeeze a G5 in the PowerBook? Either way, with dual G4's or G5's they have to do something about heat. Even at the current single processor G4 speeds, these PowerBooks get hot.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    apple decided to skip over the dual g5 powerbook and go straight for the quad g6 powerbook encased in kyptonite.

this has been *confirmed* and you heard it here first!