iBook G4

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 235
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

The dimensions are the same. In fact, the case is almost the exact same as the old case - the only differences are the color scheme and the slot-loading drive.

EDIT: Damn your loins, MCQ

New color scheme? Arent they still white? (unfortunately)..........
  • Reply 222 of 235
    Quote:

...if you go to the max now, it'll last you much longer.

This kind of thinking is THE financial bedrock of the PC industry. People always think that if they pay more now, they will save more later. It does seems logical to opt for a better specification in the belief that your machine will still be comparable with contemporary technology in, say 3 years time.

BUT THINK! Are you that disciplined to actually keep that machine for 3 years? I expect many of the people in these forum are not. They are not necessarily just spec-whores - they also admire ease-of-use, innovation, ergonomics and design. These things, almost by definition, progress with time. You will buy a new machine before you strictly have to.

If someone really NEEDS a SuperDrive or a 5400RPM HD NOW or in the near future (for sure), then get a machine with those features. If you are trying to future-proof your machine, forget it. Desire finds a way to make you reach into your pocket quicker than you might like.
  • Reply 223 of 235
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I was basing my suggestion on the fact that hard drive sizes have been increasing faster than other specs in recent years. I personally have a lot of data and the 30 GB drive in my iBook (which has been sold) wasn't big enough. But at the time, it was $100 to upgrade to a 40 GB, which wasn't worth it in my opinion. Now it's just $25 to go to 40 GB from 30 GB so that certainly seems worth it. $75 for the 60 GB seems like a fairly good deal, but only if you need that much room.
  • Reply 224 of 235
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

BUT THINK!

I have, and I'm 100% behind Luca. Laptop HDs are small relative to desktops, and cannot be upgraded without replacing the whole thing. HDs fill way too quickly. I thought 20GB was huge when I bought my iBook (more than twice the space as on my old desktop), but within six months I regretted not BTO'ing a bigger one. Processor/GPU speed don't matter so long as you're happy with your workflow, but HDs will fill up even if you don't change your workflow, and the options are then unsavory (delete or archive). In fact, on every computer I've ever owned, the HD has been the first thing that's been upgraded (I'm just a young whuppersnapper who only dates to a LC). Stock HD and stock RAM are the two things that simply will not usefully last you for 3 years. Only RAM can you upgrade later.

Actually, SoS, you have a good point if you generalize it a bit more. In terms of bang-for-your-buck, you're always better off buying low-end and trading up sooner than buying high-end and keeping it longer. But the perfect efficiency is to buy the maxed-out low-end - it has 90% of the functionality of the maxed-out high-end, at a fraction of the cost.
  • Reply 225 of 235
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

... I personally have a lot of data and the 30 GB drive in my iBook (which has been sold) wasn't big enough. But at the time, it was $100 to upgrade to a 40 GB, which wasn't worth it in my opinion. Now it's just $25 to go to 40 GB from 30 GB so that certainly seems worth it. $75 for the 60 GB seems like a fairly good deal, but only if you need that much room.

I think so, too.

When I ordered my May 2002 iBook/700 going from 20GB to 30GB was $100, and I did upgrade. With an iBook, where it's difficult to swap HDs and voids the warranty, it's always sensible to spec the largest capacity Apple offers (as long as it's financially sensible, YMMV).

Doubling capacity for $75 is a no-brainer, especially when Apple does it for you, and it'll be covered under warranty (and AppleCare).
  • Reply 226 of 235
    Anyone know if Apple have upgraded the keyboard for the G4 iBook to PB standard or are we stuck with the plastic, wobbly ones?
  • Reply 227 of 235
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mercenary_Angel

Anyone know if Apple have upgraded the keyboard for the G4 iBook to PB standard or are we stuck with the plastic, wobbly ones?

I read somewhere that the new keyboard is way better than the old one, but it´s still not as good as the on in PB.
  • Reply 228 of 235
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mercenary_Angel

Went to Apple Store in Durham, NC yesterday for some hands on everything. The iBook G4 keyboard has been updated, it is no longer the clickity-clack cheap keyboard.

It felt as solid as a Powerbook keyboard to me. A night and day difference over the previous iBook.

They only had the 12 inch version in stock. Got a chance to turn on Expose, play some iTunes, was very nice, even with 256 megs.
  • Reply 229 of 235
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

... I'm 100% behind Luca... HDs fill way too quickly... Stock HD and stock RAM are the two things that simply will not usefully last you for 3 years. Only RAM can you upgrade later.

True.
  • Reply 230 of 235
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Well, I've had some bad experiences with HDs running out of room in the past. Until April of 2002, I was on a PowerMac 8100/100 with a 1 GB hard drive. That 1 GB hard drive was horrible. I was almost always under 50 MB free. Even that was an improvement from the computer I had for years until I got the 8100 - I had a 7100/80 for about four years until late 2001 when I got the 8100. That only had a 700 MB hard drive.

In April 2002 I got a Wallstreet PowerBook but it only had 2 GB. Later that year I traded up to a PowerMac G4 dual 500 with a 40 GB hard drive. That made me happy . And then, I still wasn't satisfied so I put another hard drive in the case, an 80 GB.

I don't like being low on hard drive space. Had the 160 GB hard drive upgrade option been available on the eMac when I bought it, I would have gone for it. But I'm still sitting pretty with the internal 60 GB and an external 80 GB.
  • Reply 231 of 235
    Does anyone know if the G4 processor is the Motorola or the IBM version?
  • Reply 232 of 235
    c-bearc-bear Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormatC2

The iBook G4 keyboard has been updated, it is no longer the clickity-clack cheap keyboard.

It felt as solid as a Powerbook keyboard to me. A night and day difference over the previous iBook.

Yes, the iBook keyboard is much improved over the previous iteration (although I didn't really mind that last one), almost what the Aluminum keyboard is but not quite ?_the Alus still get top honors as the most tactile friendly, best laptop keyboard Apple's got going right now. But kudos to the improved iBook, it's really nice.
  • Reply 233 of 235
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr_Holistic

Does anyone know if the G4 processor is the Motorola or the IBM version?

There is no IBM version.

Motorola makes the G4.
  • Reply 234 of 235
    Now that the iBook G4 hardware developer note is out, hopefully everyone can rest assured that they did in fact use a fully capable 7445. It has a fully functional AltiVec unit. End of story.