Value of the new iMac???

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>Overall, PC's are faster. There's no doubting this. If you do, you're deluding yourself. They are also cheaper. Again, don't delude yourself into thinking otherwise..</strong><hr></blockquote>

As a programmer who has worked on both architectures, I will take a slight exception to this. An altivec optimized algorithm can do some extremely impressive stuff. I'd square a well-done altivec algorthim on an 800mhz G4 against a 2.2ghz P4 any day.

The unfortunate thing is that not every algoirthm can be altivec optimized well, nor do all programmers bother to do it.

Strip Altivec out of the equation alltogether, and I would agree that PCs are on the whole faster than Macs to in terms of raw processing power. The rub, of course, is that this doesn't translate into being more useful.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    [quote]Originally posted by steve666:

<strong>Apple got rid of colors and went with white, but i think they would be more successful if they also made a black version....................................</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's just The Man tryin' to keep us down!
  • Reply 23 of 34
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    [quote]I never dissed on your OS<hr></blockquote>

No, just our hardware.

Shoo PC boy.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    To reiterate: The new iMac is an incredible value, right PCMan?
  • Reply 25 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by Cobra:

<strong>

No, just our hardware.

Shoo PC boy.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey, if the shoe fits. . .

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: PCMan ]</p>
  • Reply 26 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>Apple's design is clearly one of it's strengths. Apple combines the elegance of what a Mac is supposed to be with a great bundle of easy to use apps and sub par hardware which all makes a nice consumer computer. Apple really does need new hardware on the high end that compares in sheer megahertz with the pentium. If they do they do and if they dont they will be close enough in overall performance to compete. Apple needs to have hardware that is as cutting edge as its design and software is if it truly wants to call the machine a POWERMAC. The iMac though has stepped far beyond a consumer machines boundry and I do think software and design will sell it as much as the hardcore specs.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Macintosh ]

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Macintosh ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just so you know, I agree with this post entirely, Macintosh. :cool:
  • Reply 27 of 34
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    BOttom Line: Apple is not going out of businewss anytime soon/ Macintosh computers will continue to come out for many years. I predict that the Apple Computer Company will live longer than I will. Microsoft ha always been suseceptible to the free market and willful consumers. Die, Microsquash and clean up before you're done.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by PCMan:

<strong>

Just so you know, I agree with this post entirely, Macintosh. :cool: </strong><hr></blockquote>

I was trying to be more reasonable in my wording. Your not so bad PCMan. I wish that Apple had 2.5 Ghz G4/G5 machines to round out the 3 piece puzzle to having a great computer. Specs,Price,Design.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Compare the iMac to this <a href="http://www.gateway.com/home/prod/hm_profile3sp_ProdDetail.shtml"; target="_blank">gateway</a>
  • Reply 30 of 34
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Gateway specs:

Processor: Intel® Celeron™ Processor 900MHz with 128K Cache

Screen: 15.0" XGA TFT Active Matrix

Memory: 128MB SDRAM expandable to 512MB

Hard Drive: 40GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive

Floppy Drive: Integrated 1.44MB 3.5" floppy diskette drive

CD-ROM or DVD: Integrated 10X min./24X max. CD-ROM drive

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® Millennium Edition

Application Software: Microsoft® Works Suite - Including Microsoft® Word and Encarta

Video: Integrated Intel® 3D Graphics

Keyboard: 104+ keyboard

Mouse: USB Mouse and Gateway Mouse Pad

Speakers: Integrated Speakers

Expansion Slots: (1) Type III PC Card Slot

External ports: (4) USB, Parallel, Serial, IEEE 1394 and (2) PS/2

Input/Output Jacks: Headphone/Speaker, Line-in and Microphone Jacks

Dimensions: 15.39" x 15.75" x 7" (WxHxD) and approximately 17.39lb.

Modem: HPNA/V.90 Combo Card

Limited Warranty Program: 3 Year Limited Parts / Labor / Lifetime Support

Adapter: AC Adapter

and ugly as all heck!!!

to keep fair---1299 iMac vs 1299 gateway

iMac wins in looks (by a freakin landslide)

processor (G4 vs celeron)

equal ram (but iMac goes to 1 gig vs 512 max on gateway)

equal size monitor

equal size HD

no floppy on iMac (50 buck for a usb iMation floppy if needed)

Windows ME vs OS X (X wins...even windows people hated ME)

CD rom vs CD Burner on iMac

etc etc etc ---looks like iMac wins or at least ties if you want floppy and pci cards etc...but man the looks of the iMac vs that thing...not close...g
  • Reply 31 of 34
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>

Video: Integrated Intel® 3D Graphics

</strong><hr></blockquote>

What the hell is this?
  • Reply 32 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by corvette:

<strong>Compare the iMac to this <a href="http://www.gateway.com/home/prod/hm_profile3sp_ProdDetail.shtml"; target="_blank">gateway</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL!
  • Reply 33 of 34
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    PCMan,

In many ways you are right, but let's take a closer look. The 2Ghz P4s are faster than the G4s in many ways, but not in every way.

For example, iDVD. Altivec allows the G4 to encode MPEG2 (aka DVD encoding) 2.5 to 3 times faster than the fastest P4 on the market. This has been independently proven. See here:

<a href="http://www.nstl.com/downloads/Apple Final iDVD Report.pdf&quot; target="_blank">http://www.nstl.com/downloads/Apple Final iDVD Report.pdf</a>

In this case, the performance difference between the G4 and P4 is so great, that a P4 doesn't exist that is fast enough to match the G4 at this specific task.

"Big deal", you say? It is a big deal. iDVD is a core feature of these iMacs, so it is an important feature to the consumers who buy these machines.

Likewise, the G4's Altivec benefits all aspects of the iApps, which all stress Altivec's abilities.

In this light, the LCD iMac is an extremely good value for what it is meant to do.

G'day.

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: NeoMac ]</p>
  • Reply 34 of 34
    dvddvd Posts: 45member
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>

What the hell is this?</strong><hr></blockquote>

u dont wanna know...its low end peice of crap even us mac users never got to use =\\