USS Lincoln: It's all Your fault

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
During a press confernce today bush JUNIOR, when asked about the relavance of the "mission accomplished" sign on the USS Lincoln when he was there in his jump suit, he said that it wasn't his admin that put the sign up but in fact it was the sailors on the USS Lincoln.

Looks likes, once again, he can't get his facts straight...

from dailykos.com:

Quote:

Another Bush lie: blame the USS Lincoln

by kos

Tue Oct 28th, 2003 at 13:19:55 PST

This is pretty despicable:

(from today's press conference, my note here)

Q Mr. President, if I may take you back to May 1st when you stood on the USS Lincoln under a huge banner that said, "Mission Accomplished." At that time you declared major combat operations were over, but since that time there have been over 1,000 wounded, many of them amputees who are recovering at Walter Reed, 217 killed in action since that date. Will you acknowledge now that you were premature in making those remarks?

THE PRESIDENT: Nora, I think you ought to look at my speech. I said, Iraq is a dangerous place and we've still got hard work to do, there's still more to be done. And we had just come off a very successful military operation. I was there to thank the troops.

The "Mission Accomplished" sign, of course, was put up by the members of the USS Abraham Lincoln, saying that their mission was accomplished. I know it was attributed some how to some ingenious advance man from my staff -- they weren't that ingenious, by the way.

The USS Lincoln appearance was stage-managed to the "t". Everything from the backdrop to the placement of the troops, to the placement of the aircraft carrier itself (San Diego had to be out of sight) was managed by Bush's political operation.

Now, called on the fact, he has the temerity to lay the blame on our sailors??? He's the commander-in-chief, for chrissakes! If the banner didn't reflect his thinking, he could've simply asked that it be removed.

This doesn't happen often, but I'm suddenly speechless.

Update: NTodd in the message boards provides the key news story proving Bush's latest lie:

"Keepers of Bush Image Lift Stagecraft to New Heights"

By ELISABETH BUMILLER, NYT, May 15, 2003.

...The most elaborate - and criticized - White House event so far was Mr. Bush's speech aboard the Abraham Lincoln announcing the end of major combat in Iraq. White House officials say that a variety of people, including the president, came up with the idea, and that Mr. [Scott] Sforza embedded himself on the carrier to make preparations days before Mr. Bush's landing in a flight suit and his early evening speech.

Media strategists noted afterward that Mr. Sforza and his aides had choreographed every aspect of the event, even down to the members of the Lincoln crew arrayed in coordinated shirt colors over Mr. Bush's right shoulder and the "Mission Accomplished" banner placed to perfectly capture the president and the celebratory two words in a single shot. The speech was specifically timed for what image makers call "magic hour light," which cast a golden glow on Mr. Bush.

"If you looked at the TV picture, you saw there was flattering light on his left cheek and slight shadowing on his right," Mr. King said. "It looked great."

Update II: This is how Reuters tackled the issue:

Reflecting some sensitivity, Bush said it was not White House staff who put up a "Mission Accomplished" banner on the Abraham Lincoln during his May 1 appearance, adding it was the aircraft carrier's staff who hung the sign because the ship itself was concluding a long overseas mission.

How the hell is blaming someone else for your f-up suddenly "reflecting some sensitivity"? In my book, it's the exact opposite.

Update II 1/2: Some in the message boards suggest the writer meant to say that the criticism struck some sort of raw nerve with Bush. That would make sense, but the language is still ackward to me (being ESL and all).

Update III: Snafu in the message boards also reminds us that Bush did, in fact, utter the fateful words himself:

Bush to troops in Qatar: 'Mission accomplished'

DOHA, Qatar (CNN) -- President Bush told U.S. troops in Qatar on Thursday that their duty and sacrifice had liberated the people of Iraq and helped in defeating global terrorism.

"Our actions sent along a clear message that our nation is strong and our nation is compassionate," Bush told the troops at the rally. "America sent you on a mission and that mission has been accomplished."

There's even video of that speech on that CNN page.

Well it gets worse...

http://mediawhoresonline.com/

Quote:

Navy Confirms: BUSH LIED ABOUT USS LINCOLN PHOTO OP!

BUSH BLAMED TROOPS FOR 'MISSION

ACCOMPLISHED' BANNER

NOW NAVY OFFICIALS SAY WHITE

HOUSE PRODUCED BANNER

EVERY PRESS CONFERENCE WALL TO WALL LIES._

WILL NEWS MEDIA BEGIN TO TAKE NOTE OF

BUSH'S TROUBLING, PATHOLOGICAL COMPULSION?

"The "Mission Accomplished" sign, of course, was put up by the members of the USS Abraham Lincoln saying that their mission was accomplished. I know it was attributed somehow to some ingenious advance man from staff..."

- George W. Bush (10/28)

Bush Disavows Mission Accomplished Banner

WASHINGTON - Six months after he spoke on an aircraft carrier deck under a banner proclaiming "Mission Accomplished," President Bush disavowed any connection with the war message.

MSNBC's Buchanan and Press...

BILL PRESS:_ Bush said...the crew of the ship put that sign up._ Now we find out the White House has just confirmed, we just got this handed to us...Senior Navy officials now confirm the sign was in fact produced by the White House.

Look, all you had to say mr. "president" was. In fact, the major of the conflict was over, that's the "mission accomplished" we were talking about, yadda yadda, spin spin.Just phrase it that way.

That's alllllll you had to say. But no, you had to go and blame the sailors...

I say he immediately retracts the statement, admits his mistake and all of this will be over by morning...

The sailors don't deserve the blame.

When is this admin going to get everyone on the same page?

Don't you think blaming the sailors (who risked their lives for this "imment threat") deserve better?

Where / how does he handle this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21

As someone asked in another thread. Do aircraft carriers have print shops this big? Sure is a snazzy sign though....

The navy sure spoke soon didn't they... I don't think they like being used as politcal pawns is my guess...

<hits fist on forehead>

Mannn...why did he have to say this?

<hits fist on forehead>
  • Reply 2 of 21
    i want to know what brainiac thought it was a good idea for him to have a press conference today. i don't know whether he was jet lagged, or sick, but clearly he was not up to doing a press conference.

his prepared statement was rushed, and read with almost a disdain for the words he was speaking, or maybe it was his disdain for the press conference, or the audience. i realize he can get some stupid questions but he was getting kind of pissy at the press corp. (who were just as lagged as he)

i don't know, today, he just looked like a guy who was sick of the whole game.

this was easily one of the worst presidential press conferences i've ever seen.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    They do this ALL the time... TECHNICALLY the sailors did put up the sign... because ... THEY WERE TOLD TO.

Is there a big banner shop on the air craft carrier? didn't think so.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    The word from the white house via CNN was this:

He didn't have a lot on his calendar today so his staff thought it would be good to fit one in again.

It was called at the last minute. The press had very little notice.

<hits fist on forehead>

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb... Ugggggh...

<hits fist on forehead>
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Clarke calls bush JUNIOR on his lie:

http://clark04.com/press/release/047/

Quote:

Press Room

For Immediate Release

Date: October 28, 2003

General Wesley Clark responds to President Bush's 'Mission Accomplished' Remarks

"Today, President Bush backtracked on his May 1 political photo op on the U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln by blaming the troops on the aircraft carrier for the declaration of 'mission accomplished' in Iraq. This is wrong, this is irresponsible and this is not leadership. Politicizing the mission of those troops in the first place was bad theater, and diminished the office of Commander in Chief -- but to now turn his comments on those very troops is outrageous. Instead of trying to blame the sailors and soldiers, the President owes our troops in harm's way and the American people a plan to bring peace to Iraq and stability to the region."

Update:

Dean too:

http://blog.deanforamerica.com/archives/002029.html
  • Reply 6 of 21
    it's just starting, i think this was one of the worst days in president bush's political life.

i said this in a thread about 3 or 4 months ago (and was poo -pooed) but the mccain camp is beginning to rumble.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Can a presidency "jump the shark"... because it seems to me that Fonzie is in mid-air right now.

Screed
  • Reply 8 of 21
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

it's just starting, i think this was one of the worst days in president bush's political life.

i said this in a thread about 3 or 4 months ago (and was poo -pooed) but the mccain camp is beginning to rumble.

McCain camp? You mean veteran Republicans as opposed to the social neo-cons??

Screed
  • Reply 9 of 21
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/...hed/index.html

http://www.buzzflash.com/analysis/03/10/ana03291.html

Meanwhile Iraq burns....

Foot. Meet mouth. I know, we've met time and time again - G.W.B.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    WAPO:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...10976-2003May3

Quote:

Still, it's also impossible to agree with the banner that was draped near Mr. Bush on the carrier deck, proclaiming "Mission Accomplished." Aides say the slogan was chosen in part to mark a presidential turn toward domestic affairs as his campaign for reelection approaches. But neither Mr. Bush nor the American public can afford to put Iraq on the back burner.

• Reply 11 of 21
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Can a presidency "jump the shark"... because it seems to me that Fonzie is in mid-air right now.

Screed

New sig!
  • Reply 12 of 21
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

Clarke calls bush JUNIOR on his lie:

http://clark04.com/press/release/047/

Update:

Dean too:

http://blog.deanforamerica.com/archives/002029.html

Try referring to President of the United States with some respect. Disagree with his policies...fine. Calling him "JUNIOR" doesn't just insult him, it insults all who held the office previously.

Classless, as usual.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    How bout we just agree to call him our MISLEADER...

I remember everyone calling Clinton BUBBA... or Slick Willie... while he was in office.

Yeah I'll give Junior respect. The same respect he's shown for the american public.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Because..

"cruising through life on the unearned capitol of his father's name,former coke user, awol chickenhawk, lie to get into war, won't do a damn thing about a treasonous leaker in his white house, tool of cheney, stupid as a tree, hypocrite, sweatheart deal passing out, tax surplus disapearing, heaping debt onto our children, ashcroft hiring, EPA gutting, won't read a damn newspaper, less vote getting, supreme court elected son-of-a-bush"

..takes too long to type everytime.

The minute this adminstration respects the american people that are not part of his little cabal of neo-cons, right wing nuts and relgious zealots is the day I will call him by a respectful name.

Why don't you get to back to blaming Katie Couric and all the "liberal media" for all the world's problems?

Clueless, as usual.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Try referring to President of the United States with some respect. Disagree with his policies...fine. Calling him "JUNIOR" doesn't just insult him, it insults all who held the office previously.

Classless, as usual.

If I were to call the (current) President of the United States a relatively stupid, lying, monobrowed, classless, illegitamate business failure; an unqualified wit with who started learning about foreign affairs at the time someone decided he could become president; a man about whom even his friends say has a fundamental 'lack of intellectual curiosity' and who shows an extraordinary lack of judgment when the people who REALLY run the great country of the US give him autonomy, I guess you'd find that disrespectful too?

He's an international JOKE and 'we' can't understand how the hell he got more votes then the other guy (yeh yeh, I know, he didn't).

I HAVE no respect for him. He's a CHUMP, the worst President who ever 'ran' the great country of the US and a signal danger to the rest of the planet at a time we need somone with diplomacy and foreign affairs permeating every cell. Even Jimmy Carter would be better.

And you come over like the bloody though police, while I'm at it, when an individual pokes satirical fun at Monkey Boy and you suck your teeth and say, "Can't say that," simply BECAUSE he's the president. SO ING WHAT?
  • Reply 16 of 21
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Can a President be made to "walk the plank " ?
  • Reply 17 of 21
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Can a President be made to "walk the plank " ?

Aparently only if you call him "Mr President".

Look. This showboating from GWB was a gross error of judgement. There was no evil about that. I really don´t´see this as an big issue who made the banner or not. This is a minor issue compared to all the other problems facing your nation. We all knew this was a publicity stunt directed for the presidential campaign so this can hardly come as an surprise.

So he lied about who made the banner. So what? The question "Who made the banner that was put up on USS Lincoln?" is much much closer to the question "Did you have sex with a fat intern" than "Why did you lie to the world about the reasons to go into Iraq" in terms of relevance (see sig for my opinion on that).
  • Reply 18 of 21
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member

Yes agreed Anders.

There are much more serious fish to fry..but even so, doesn't this so called banner look awfully ...Photoshoped...

Or is it just another Whitehouse Object of Mass Deception.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    You guys seem to be missing the point...

He trots out onto the deck of the carrier to say... the job is done... we got some tuff work to do... but essentially the hard part is over... a high orchestrated appearance... from turning the carrier around so they would have a reason for him to fly out there on a fighter jet... to the perfect light timing...all of it staged so he could get the best possible PR from his speach.

Then they LIE about it.

The mission had just started in all reality... and that's why the white house is being taken to task... they didn't get it then... and they are probably only understanding it now. It was a premature self congratulating pat on the back.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

The mission had just started in all reality... and that's why the white house is being taken to task... they didn't get it then... and they are probably only understanding it now. It was a premature self congratulating pat on the back.

and it's history now.

what's done is done. there are problems today, and tomorrow, quit bitching about what can't be changed.

he ed up...... we know it, they know it, everyone knows it....