Do Not Enable File Vault

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    What a day. Bootcamp wouldn't work. To my fault, I attempted to modify the boot camp info in text wrangler. In short, it didn't work and I was not authorized to undo my mistake ooooor restore the boot camp app through time machine (why is beyond me). So then I decided to download Yosemite yay, casually said yes to file vault and now my life is a living hell. Tried to download Yosemite again three times. Nope. Tried to restore back to 10.9. Nope. Have important reports and a windows partition to complete, yep. I'm over 10 hours total deep into this cluster****.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    mgcohode wrote: »
    What a day. Bootcamp wouldn't work. To my fault, I attempted to modify the boot camp info in text wrangler. In short, it didn't work and I was not authorized to undo my mistake ooooor restore the boot camp app through time machine (why is beyond me). So then I decided to download Yosemite yay, casually said yes to file vault and now my life is a living hell. Tried to download Yosemite again three times. Nope. Tried to restore back to 10.9. Nope. Have important reports and a windows partition to complete, yep. I'm over 10 hours total deep into this cluster****.

This thread is talking about Filevault 1, which encrypted things differently from Filevault 2. Did you already have a Bootcamp partition and if not, what was the Bootcamp app file edit intended to do? You can disable Filevault and it will put your drive back how it was before using system prefs > security & privacy > Filevault. Also, are you working with a hard drive or SSD? If you have say a 1TB laptop hard drive, Filevault will take time to encrypt it (it can take hours) but you don't always see the progress because it does it while you work. I think there's a progress bar in the system preferences for Filevault for the system drive. Did you have any errors making the Bootcamp partition?