Ok Steve, so you don't like TV, then kill it!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The micrsoft mantra comes to mind-



Embrace, Extend, Extinguish.



Why not do this with TV, Steve? All you need is the following-



A TV/HDTV tuner card, a good iTV ap, and an airport base station that allows you to stream to your TV/home theater.



Then start doing really disruptive stuff. Make sharing shows across the internet simple (a la the early days of iTunes sharing), remove commercials or replace with interjected commercials served from Apple, hyper-annotate shows so you can click on a product in the show and find out where to buy it, link to fan forums, etc



Make TV a place where people turn there brains on, since that seems to be your big objection.



Personally, I like to turn my brain off from time to time or it overheats.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 38
    shawkshawk Posts: 116member
    Yes.

    Does anyone have a pointer to an ATSC/HDTV tuner card that will work in a G5? Does anyone know of anybody working on one?
  • Reply 2 of 38
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    For the PC there is the Telemann HiPix DTV-200. Not sure about Mac though, although any HD Cable box should suffice, no?
  • Reply 3 of 38
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

    Then start doing really disruptive stuff. Make sharing shows across the internet simple (a la the early days of iTunes sharing), remove commercials or replace with interjected commercials served from Apple, hyper-annotate shows so you can click on a product in the show and find out where to buy it, link to fan forums, etc





    This is more than disruptive, it's illegal. Unless Steve could work his magic again with the TV production companies like he did with the record labels and turn the iTunes Music Store into the iTunes multimedia store. It's a great idea, but a lot of work would have to go into it.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    Quote:

    Originally posted by DMBand0026

    This is more than disruptive, it's illegal. Unless Steve could work his magic again with the TV production companies like he did with the record labels and turn the iTunes Music Store into the iTunes multimedia store. It's a great idea, but a lot of work would have to go into it.



    I don't believe it is illegal. The fair use fight really hasn't been fought yet. Apple has the kind of legal muscle to fight it. Furthermore, it is entirely dependent on how they implement it. Some possibilities...



    1. They could do the wink-wink, nudge-nudge thing like they did with the iPod where it isn't difficult at all for someone to share their shows, but Apple doesn't officially endorse it. That doesn't really evangelize the platform, however.



    2. They could promote the distributed VCR idea, where you click on what you want to record and a P2P network negotiates which actual machines will record it for you. This approach might require some authentication of subscription to pay tv, but you could also include a direct-send option so a buddy can send you a copy of a show (just as legal as him handing you a videotape).



    Lastly, regarding the commercial elimination/override I believe this has been upheld in the case of banner ads and digitally superimposed ads on the backboards of sporting events. Annotating the shows any further could be based on user prefs, thus offloading the responsibility of Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    I like the idea of Apple transforming the iTunes music store into a multimedia store. I think its the next logical step for apple.



    Can you image downloading movies to watch.........or burn DVDs for your collection. That would be something.........purchase movies and music from apple.



    Maybe, even HDTV subription service. Or purchase a (favorite) TV series season in HDTV.......much like you would an individual song.



    Wouldn't that be likeable.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    If I'm not mistaken, the thing The Steve hates about TV is the content.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Steve hates TV because of it's content, yes.



    If steve wants to kill TV he has to create something that makes people not want to watch TV. iMovie, iDVD is already there, but he would have to go furter. iMovie & iDVD is the content, broadcasting is next.



    .Mac homepage can be expanded in the future of broadband in a way that would make it possible to maybe bypass the webpage. How about broadcasting right from your homecomputer. Now we all to think about that projector rumor don't we?



    ...So I'm sitting in my living room, turn on my projector (which of(steve)cause can't show TV out of the box, but can show Mac out of the box) I decide I wanna watch what my friend julie's Home-TV-station is "broadcasting" tonight oh jolly, it's her latest iMovie to DVD project



    How about searching the web for other "Mac stations" ?



    ...ok...I'm back on the ground again...what a trip.....



    Sincerly



    Brian Zebeaune
  • Reply 8 of 38
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Television is now, and has been for some time, the most popular and profitable mass media format, especially in countries that do not yet have widespread internet access, but also in, say, The United States and The European Union.



    I certainly believe high bandwidth, computer-based interactive networking has the power to change the character of television, but not for one second do I believe that it will 'kill' it - especially not based on the actions of the company that controls ~2% of the market.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Bandwidth, bandwidth, bandwidth. The Majority of internet users do not have enough. Until this issue is addressed, TV through the internet is a pipe dream.



    Maybe the government (USA) needs to step in and treat ISP's like a standard Utility (Electric, Gas, Phone service like the old days). ISP's for the most part are too controlling of bandwidth and don't offer enough in both directions and it is way to expensive.



    The government should have a mandate to have every house in America with highspeed internet within 10 years. Every household would have the ability to purchase up too 50Mb's. People could purchase the bandwidth in 5Mb increments. Voice over IP would be standard. $25 for 5Mb's of bandwidth would be the base charge. No ISP could sell the first 5Mb's for any less or more, they could have additional services as an add on charge and would be free to compete on price for any additional bandwidth.



    IP vs 6 would be implamented and every person in America could be issued an IP address at birth. You could also have your own email like your own post office address. ISP's could also supply email addresses, or be a holding box till you turn on your machine and download it.



    Radical, not really. Viable, yes. Gonna happen, not likely, but I like to Think Different.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    I'm not really sure it is even hatred of TV as much as it is an acknowledgement that TV is a very different thing that a computer. TV == turn your brain off. Computer == turn your brain on. There is a time for both. Especially, BTW, for those of us that spend MOST of our days in front of a computer (i.e., with our brain turned ON). I sometime need to just "veg out" when I get home.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    This whole arguement is just a Steve created issue. Steve Jobs is very peculiar sometimes about what he embraces and what he does not. While he may be right on a lot of things, he has clearly not always been right, (I mean, just read the book Apple Design) and I think the T.V. to Mac integration issue is one where Steve is wrong.



    While Jobs doesnt like to admit it when he is wrong, it often takes a market growth or trend to start to be set, before Steve gets the ball rolling, and then he ruluctantly agrees to go with the industry (yes, even Steve follows)...............the thing is, once he gets acting on that trend, his solution usually ends up being the most elegant, simple, and well integrated.



    I think he will eventually innovate on the T.V. to Mac front, it will just take time. I also see a Newton PDA being re-introduced, as soon as that market segment (if it ever does) takes off.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Messiahtosh

    This whole arguement is just a Steve created issue. Steve Jobs is very peculiar sometimes about what he embraces and what he does not. While he may be right on a lot of things, he has clearly not always been right, (I mean, just read the book Apple Design) and I think the T.V. to Mac integration issue is one where Steve is wrong.



    You are partly right, I think. At the same time, Steve is in business to make money. If Apple could, they would. Also, I agree with Steve about the "convergence" thing. I think that TVs will gain more computer-like features...to a limit. I don't watch TV on my computer (and don't wish to). Those that do are in the minority.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    dale soreldale sorel Posts: 186member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

    TV == turn your brain off. Computer == turn your brain on. There is a time for both.



    Exactly...keep that computer away from my TV
  • Reply 14 of 38
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

    The micrsoft mantra comes to mind-



    Embrace, Extend, Extinguish.



    Why not do this with TV, Steve? All you need is the following-



    A TV/HDTV tuner card, a good iTV ap, and an airport base station that allows you to stream to your TV/home theater.



    Then start doing really disruptive stuff. Make sharing shows across the internet simple (a la the early days of iTunes sharing), remove commercials or replace with interjected commercials served from Apple, hyper-annotate shows so you can click on a product in the show and find out where to buy it, link to fan forums, etc



    Make TV a place where people turn there brains on, since that seems to be your big objection.



    Personally, I like to turn my brain off from time to time or it overheats.




    The TAM had everything we are talking about here. TV/DVR/ FM and great speakers. If Apple were to make a 2004 version of this machine, it would sell.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,283member
    BULL!! And again I say BULL!!



    Why do so many of you accept the idea of TV, brain off, computer, brain on? Any kid that didn't grow up with Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers Missed out on some of the best brain food ever offered. PBS offers some of the best educational shows for both kids and adults you can find. Furthermore, considering that porn is the #1 business on the Internet followed closely by other forms of adult entertainment and services, I hardly see how one automatically assumes that the brain is engaged when in front of a computer.



    I am sick of people foolishly parroting this nonsense from Steve as if they were quoting Proverbs. This is one of the most foolish things SJ has publicly said and it shows a great deal of arrogance and elitism. He is just plain wrong about this and when MS finally wins this battle and monopolizes it, don't get upset. Apple didn't want any part of it while MS poured millions of dollars into breathing life into it. Steve's "We're better than you brain dead boob tubers" attitude will not serve the Mac community well as it applies to the future of TV/PC cenergy. I Hope Bill cleans Steve's clock on this one.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by geobe

    The TAM had everything we are talking about here. TV/DVR/ FM and great speakers. If Apple were to make a 2004 version of this machine, it would sell.



    While the TAM had a TV viewer, it didn't have a DVR. I don't even think that DVR or PVR was even in the minds of consumers yet (we are talking about 1996 here).



    And it cost something like $10,000
  • Reply 17 of 38
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    I dunno.. Steve hates beef, pork, and chicken, too. It ends up being good for the species involved. He stays clear of them. Point: I do not see Apple heading toward much more than *maybe* a TV tuner card, if they manage to do it when SJ is taking a week vacation from 1 Infinite Loop.





    If AAPL DID get into the TV-something game, it would be a product that compliments the computer in the house, not vice versa. I think SJ, being the CEO of the Greatest Computer Company in the World, is into, well ... computers.



    I can see a multimedia station someday, but a TV-centered device?

    I'm leaning in the NO direction on that one... Who needs TV when we have new displays coming soon?
  • Reply 18 of 38
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by oldmacfan

    Bandwidth, bandwidth, bandwidth. The Majority of internet users do not have enough. Until this issue is addressed, TV through the internet is a pipe dream.



    No argument there.



    Quote:

    Maybe the government (USA) needs to step in and treat ISP's like a standard Utility (Electric, Gas, Phone service like the old days). ISP's for the most part are too controlling of bandwidth and don't offer enough in both directions and it is way to expensive.



    No no no. Making the internet a utility will ensure that the ISPs cannot deny service to whomever for whichever reason besides non-payment. Say goodbye to the self-regulating internet and hello to law-regulated, pigopolist, mainstream massmedia. The catastrophe which is CAN-SPAM is only the tip of this filthy garbageberg.



    Quote:

    <snip>



    IP vs 6 would be implamented
    (implemented or implanted?) and every person in America could be issued an IP address at birth. You could also have your own email like your own post office address. ISP's could also supply email addresses, or be a holding box till you turn on your machine and download it.



    Radical, not really. Viable, yes. Gonna happen, not likely, but I like to Think Different.




    Yeah, the spammers are gonna love your idea.



    BTW - the internet =| America. Please remember that.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by kroehl

    No argument there.







    No no no. Making the internet a utility will ensure that the ISPs cannot deny service to whomever for whichever reason besides non-payment. Say goodbye to the self-regulating internet and hello to law-regulated, pigopolist, mainstream massmedia. The catastrophe which is CAN-SPAM is only the tip of this filthy garbageberg.







    Yeah, the spammers are gonna love your idea.



    BTW - the internet =| America. Please remember that.




    Yes, there would be issues to deal with, I do not deny that but spam will always be with us. There is spam on the top of the page I am looking at. I don't have a problem with this spam, it pays for this site to exist. In my real mail box out front I get junk mail every day but Sundays and holidays.



    As for the rest of the world and the internet, If they want more bandwidth that is their choice. Let them pay the money.



    Yes the internet is world wide, but my idea would not infringe on any other country. It would allow for a huge technology jump that would benifit the rest of the world. It would also jumpstart the American economy and put many many people to work.



    As for people only being denied service for lack of payment, I never said that. My idea of modeling it after a utility is to fix the biggest bottleneck in computing. I fear that 20 years from now people will still be using dial-up connections.





    BTW// No America = = No Internet.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    bennbenn Posts: 10member
    Quote:

    Bandwidth, bandwidth, bandwidth. The Majority of internet users do not have enough. Until this issue is addressed, TV through the internet is a pipe dream.



    Correct. But this is already possible now, given the right technology, and payment structure.



    My new apartment (from March 15th) will have a built-in optical fiber connection, theoretically with 100Mb/s speed. As well as internet access, this also features a VOIP phone, and video-on-demand TV.



    On top of my rent, I will pay JPY3,500 (approx $30) per month for this service.
Sign In or Register to comment.