Please help; iBook or not??

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    Guys,

The market is way to tight right now for DVD-R not to be a standard laptop feature in the next 8 months. Six might be wishful thinking for sure, but on the go media creation will become a necessity for education and the proliferation of the DVD format is telling. In 8 months the iBook will have a G4 and a DVD-R drive. The digital hub strategy demands it. If Jobs cannot get DVD media creation portable and into the hands of students his strategy will die. Apple's hardware will make some very rapid strides (not higher than wintel, but enough) in the next 10 - 12 months OS X demands it as well.

In six - eight months I will buy my dvd-r ibook.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    [quote]Originally posted by YakManDoo:

<strong>My 2 cents:

I am a wintel guy thinking about switching to OS X as well. I have been looking at the ibook and the imac as have you. My solution: I can get by with my current hardware long enough to wait for Apple's release of a G4 iBook with DVD-R. I know I will get flamed for my patience, but by then OS X will be at 10.5 and the ibook will have the guts to burn to DVD. Be patient...6 more months of wintel...small price to pay.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think the G4 w/Altivec will help OSX and other apps performance. If you can, go for the G4. The iBook 14.1" is a nice laptop. there are some thinmgs on it that are nicer than the powerbook. i really like OSX and cant wait to get os9 completely removed. in 2-3 months i will not run os9 at all.

i also like having UNIX under the hood.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by YakManDoo:

<strong>Guys,

The market is way to tight right now for DVD-R not to be a standard laptop feature in the next 8 months. Six might be wishful thinking for sure, but on the go media creation will become a necessity for education and the proliferation of the DVD format is telling. In 8 months the iBook will have a G4 and a DVD-R drive. The digital hub strategy demands it. If Jobs cannot get DVD media creation portable and into the hands of students his strategy will die. Apple's hardware will make some very rapid strides (not higher than wintel, but enough) in the next 10 - 12 months OS X demands it as well.

In six - eight months I will buy my dvd-r ibook.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I sure hope you're right.