Xserve: Where the frick is G5 Xserve ??

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    A little bird said to me that IBM will release G5 based blade-modules next week. 2x 1.6 GHz 970 for $2700. If IBM can put two of these in a blade, surely Apple can do the same, don't you think?
  • Reply 22 of 40
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

A little bird said to me that IBM will release G5 based blade-modules next week. 2x 1.6 GHz 970 for $2700. If IBM can put two of these in a blade, surely Apple can do the same, don't you think?

1U?
  • Reply 23 of 40
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    umm, you know what a blade is, do you?
  • Reply 24 of 40
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G-News

umm, you know what a blade is, do you?

Ummm, yes. You know that I didn't see that, do[n't] you?
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

Are you Think Secret?
  • Reply 26 of 40
    where's ours?
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Are you Think Secret?

No, but I guess that either did the same bird chirp in Think Secret's ear, or another bird chirped the same information, or did Think Secret see my comment and did som digging by themselves.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Either the 1.6Ghz runs cooler than we think or else IBM is pulling off some pretty good cooling tricks to stuff two of them in a 1U.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by bluesigns

where's ours?

I wouldn't be surprised if IBM had some little contractual clause that gave them first crack at coming out with PPC970 server iron.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by opuscroakus

Either the 1.6Ghz runs cooler than we think or else IBM is pulling off some pretty good cooling tricks to stuff two of them in a 1U.

Uh, they are not talking about a 1U server...

They are talking about IBM blade servers...

An IBM blade server is 7U, and can hold up to 14 blades, each blade carrying 2 CPUs...

So we are talking about a possible maximum of 28 PPC970 CPUs in 7U of space...

Can you say 7U Shake/Maya/RenderMan renderfarm?!? (assuming of course. that Apple comes out with their own blade server...)

Sweet!
  • Reply 31 of 40
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Why oh why do we keep coming back to this cooling issue! Cooling high performance processors in a 1U form factor has been solved and was solved a long time ago. Plus the form factor mentioned is a blade which could end up having the processors installed in a much high density than the 1U dual SMP machine would imply.

There could be many reasons for IBM to take so long to bring these to market beyond reducing power. One of the most rational reasons would be more cache. Or it might be that IBM is waiting one things from the land of LINUX to stabilize with respect to PPC. It is hihgly unlikely though that any of IBM's delays are due to cooling problems in a 1U form factor.

Thanks

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by opuscroakus

• Reply 32 of 40
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Cant think of one valid reason for Apple to delay their blade server when the IBM 970 Linux server is out of the door8)
  • Reply 33 of 40
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Um, so far, there are no news about Apple evening thinking about building a blade system.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by DrBoar

Cant think of one valid reason for Apple to delay their blade server

No, but just to make things extremely clear:

The density of a blade system is approximately twice as high as in a 1U system. If IBM can manage the heat in a blade, then Apple can do it in a regular case. Therefore, it's stupid not to expect Xserve G5 in a 1U rack case.

Apple is not expected to realse any blade systems. I really can't think of any reason why they should.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    You can fit six 7U blade servers in a 42U rack. Assuming each blade has 28 PowerPC 970s, then each rack has 168 PowerPC 970s. So, with approximately thirteen 42U racks you could reproduce BigMac.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    I did mean 1U servers using the 970, replacing the current dual G4 xserver, not a blade, sorry about that. Perhaps Apple can even user faster 970 than 1.6 Ghz for that...
  • Reply 37 of 40
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    There's little reason for Apple to be unable to fit dual G5s in this:

...when Newisys was able to ship something like this:

Kind of similar looking, aren't they.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    bunge nailed it.

I'd have to say that new G5 Xserves are due shortly. Just stumbled across a link to this

product overview in the Macintoshian Achaia forums @ Ars Technica.

page 17 of the "Official 2nd Perpetual 970 and G5

Architecture Thread" by Dave_K.

Thought I'd add that there is a "buy now" link on

IBM's product overview site, that would mean

well you know, this isn't vaporware.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

I'd have to say that new G5 Xserves are due shortly. Just stumbled across a link to this

product overview in the Macintoshian Achaia forums @ Ars Technica.

page 17 of the "Official 2nd Perpetual 970 and G5

Architecture Thread" by Dave_K.

Thought I'd add that there is a "buy now" link on

IBM's product overview site, that would mean

well you know, this isn't vaporware.

Good to see. Also interesting to note that if IBM is using dual 1.6GHz CPUs in a blade format, it creates some interesting possibilities for how far Apple will push the speed of the G5s when the XServe is launched.