Did Steve forget to tell us something?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
OK, so this is another interesting story from my time at the Apple Store...

So before I left I was playing with the new iMac again. On the other imac was a guy who was talking to a salesman (a different one then the one in my other story). The man said that he liked the black Pro Keyboards better than the white, Jokingly I said to the guy "I'll trade you my black one for the white one when you get an iMac". Then the salesman said to me that the new white keyboards have USB 2.0. Anyone think it's true?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    No.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I didn't think so.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    scadboyscadboy Posts: 189member
    Um.. absolute balderdash, if that were so, then the new iMac would have to have USB 2.0 as well, yes? Also... since the only advantage of USB 2.0 over 1.1 is speed, and since USB 1.1 devices will work on a USB 2.0 bus, why, exactly, would you want to bother with a USB 2.0 keyboard and mouse?

Also, the tech specs on the imac page clearly state that it's USB 1.1. <a href="http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html</a>;

Come on now, kids, the people who work at the Apple store have no inside knowledge, just like all Apple sales reps. They know nothing more than we do, though, yeah, they generally find out about stuff like, five whole minutes before the rest of us.

ciao,

michael
  • Reply 4 of 31
    No but I'll take that white mouse!
  • Reply 5 of 31
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    This is why people like EmAn should work in the Apple store.

I'm sure there's plenty of qualified people working in SOME of the stories, but so far my experiences haven't been all that great.

I ask for simple thing and get that "what the hell are you talking about" look. I hate that.

I guess it could be worse, they could be CompUSA employees. hah
  • Reply 6 of 31
    No but I'll take that white mouse!
  • Reply 7 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by Willoughby:

<strong>This is why people like EmAn should work in the Apple store.

I'm sure there's plenty of qualified people working in SOME of the stories, but so far my experiences haven't been all that great.

I ask for simple thing and get that "what the hell are you talking about" look. I hate that.

I guess it could be worse, they could be CompUSA employees. hah</strong><hr></blockquote>

I wish I was old enough to work there. I'm sure I could get the job since the manager and a few of the other employees know me since I'm always there.

Wasn't one of the big things about the Apple Store that they were supposed to have people working there that know the Mac platform perfectly and stuff? So far I haven't seen that, at least not at Palisades.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

I wish I was old enough to work there. I'm sure I could get the job since the manager and a few of the other employees know me since I'm always there.

Wasn't one of the big things about the Apple Store that they were supposed to have people working there that know the Mac platform perfectly and stuff? So far I haven't seen that, at least not at Palisades.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thats EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I bet you could sell a couple dozen more machines with your knowledge. Hell, why aren't any of us on this forum working at an Apple Store?

Ehh, well I guess I could answer that one for myself at least.....I'm not into the retail gig and I guess programming is a little more lucrative
  • Reply 9 of 31
    I would love to work at an Apple store because now I am 16 and old enough to work for a certain number of hours per week. It really sucks that there is not Apple Store near me.(

The local Circuit City is about as close as I could get and there the people dont care about your knowledge they care about sales experience. I am going to apply for the Circuit City job and apply under the job title of "Mac Expert." hehe!
  • Reply 10 of 31
    How old do you actually have to be to work at an Apple Store?
  • Reply 11 of 31
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>How old do you actually have to be to work at an Apple Store?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I got through the process of being called for several postions with Apple, one being to work at an apple store and was told I had to be 18. I think that's ridiculous. I know the mac better than nearly anyone and if I DON'T know something and someone asks me I ALWAYS find the answer and absolutely engulf myself in the topic.

I think I would be a good salesperson or at least mac Genius.

We'll see, I'm hoping that when I camp out at the SOHO store for 4 weeks this summer they'll cave in and give me a shot
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Damn. I have to wait 3 more years if I actually wanna work in an Apple Store. That's the age I figured though.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    I wish we had anything like a mac store within 40 miles, but no luck there. The nearist is the Apple store in DC (47 miles) or Towson Computing (41 miles)
  • Reply 14 of 31
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    same requirement to work Apple Demo Days too

I've talked with the manager (I guess it was the manager) of the apple demo days on the phone a couple times because the Wiz near me never has a rep and when it does he is horrible so I tried to convince him to give me a shot. He tried to talk someone into it (don't what his/her title was) and I was all ready to go for a while but then he called back and said no, for legal reasons they can't do it.

I said I would do it for FREE. don't pay me a dime, just send me the needed materials and I would do it as many days as he needed. Still no.

I don't know what else I could have done. I tried
  • Reply 15 of 31
    It sucks that Apple makes you be 18 or older for all of that. Just think about all of us who are under 18 that deserve at least a chance. It really pisses me off.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    16+2=18 So, lie already! You wouldn't be the first employee to fudge the application. lol joe
  • Reply 17 of 31
    If I were you guys, I'd be happy I was still as young as you are. Being an adult sucks. While I don't miss my high school days, I really miss college.

One day you'll be talking about how no one wants to hire you because you're too old!!! (I'm not even close to that yet thank God)
  • Reply 18 of 31
    There should be no age limit as long as you know your shit.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    USB 2.0?

I think he just misheard "Two USB"...
  • Reply 19 of 31
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>There should be no age limit as long as you know your shit.</strong><hr></blockquote>

While nice to think about, the reality is that perceptions matter. When Joe Shmoe walks into an Apple store they want service from a knowledgeable "adult" not from their kids' budies. Sorry... but its the truth.

When I was 15 I worked at a local computer store as a technician doing Mac and PC repair. They kept me as far away from the counter as possible! They didn't want the customers to know that they were paying $60 an hour to have some freshman fix their computer!