2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Most consumers won't upgrade to 1GB.
  • Reply 21 of 26
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>What the hell? If a consumer wants 1 gb of ram in an imac they should probably get a damn Powermac.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's not about having 1GB. It's about the fact that the design of the iMac requires you to shell out for more expensive SODIMMs for the user accessible slot, while the "qualified technician" slot takes much more affordable DIMMs. 128MB on the low-end machine is not enough to run OS X happily, and 256MB on the other two models is a bare minimum.

It just seems to be very anti-customer.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

<strong>

It's not about having 1GB. It's about the fact that the design of the iMac requires you to shell out for more expensive SODIMMs for the user accessible slot, while the "qualified technician" slot takes much more affordable DIMMs. 128MB on the low-end machine is not enough to run OS X happily, and 256MB on the other two models is a bare minimum.

It just seems to be very anti-customer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Jon Rubenstein made that decision sometime during the early stages of development probably because of the space issue for some reason. Maybe it was done in order for the imac to be it;s current form?
  • Reply 24 of 26

<strong>Jon Rubenstein made that decision sometime during the early stages of development probably because of the space issue for some reason. Maybe it was done in order for the imac to be it;s current form?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yup, most likely. So like I said - design taking precedence over ease and expense of memory upgrades - and points off.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

<strong>

Yup, most likely. So like I said - design taking precedence over ease and expense of memory upgrades - and points off. </strong><hr></blockquote>

A good decision in my mind. Form with function is the Apple way not form over function. At times Apple's innovations collide with the technology itself. A small price to be payed for innovation.

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Macintosh ]

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Macintosh ]</p>
  • Reply 26 of 26

<strong>A good decision in my mind. Form with function is the Apple way not form over function. At times Apple's innovations collide with the technology itself. A small price to be payed for innovation.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

But this is definitely a case of form over function. It's all fine and well making the memory slot easily accessible, but you screw it up when you use two different types of memory, make one servicable only by a qualified technician, and choose to make the open memory slot require more expensive modules.

The iMac in its current form has one DIMM slot and one SODIMM. I'd like to see the technical or design reasons behind making the SODIMM slot the accessible one.