Apple Exec:No G5 Powerbook Soon

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    To get a bit back on topic...

Could someone explain to me why they don't think the G5 Powerbooks are coming soon if IBM has already gotten test yields (from what other sites say) on the 90nm 970 (or whatever you call it... the smaller die G5 chip)? Wouldn't the die shrinking cause less and less of a heat problem and therefore allow apple to put one of these newer 970s in the Powerbook?

Also, does anyone think it's strange that when Apple updated the Powerbooks recently there is now no L3 cache... just like there is none in the G5 Towers. Imagine if they are readying for the G5 Powerbook, but worried some people might complain if the go to a G5 AND take away their L3 at the same time. Maybe this revision was a stop gap and is preparing us for the G5 Powerbook.

Then again, I might not know what I'm talking about...
  • Reply 62 of 75
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Anyone expecting Apple to say. "We expect to have G5 PB in 3-6 months starting with 2 GHz CPUs"

If the G5PB is 2 months or 2 years away does not matter, Apple will not kill their current sales by telling stuff like that in advance.

Telling such a thing would imply a shrunk G5 aviable and thus not only

A. Kill PB sales

but also

B. Kill iMac sales as the current ones are pretty lame CPU wise

C. Reduce Tower sales, due to either that smaller size imply faster CPUs or that less hot CPUs would give room for stuff that we had in the old G4 towers like 4 Hds and 2 optical drives.

D. Kill blade & server sales.

I am surprised that we do not seem to get a G5 server from Apple this year but then I expect the low heat G5 to flow into several products Q1 next year
  • Reply 63 of 75
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

If IBM decides to enter the embedded space with 970-based designs, 2004 may be a very bad year for Moto.

Hmm, there has been an IBM page (no longer exists), back in June around the G5 announcement, resuming IBM's plans on that. The event where this was presented is here; fortunately, macbidouille captured an excerpt, it still exists in english here. Multi-GHz, 64-bit and SIMD acceleration sound particularly interesting for an embedded chip. Now guess when...
  • Reply 64 of 75
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    are the PB or ibook batteries hot swapable??? do we just need to carry an extra battery??? don't they sell stand alone battery chargers. also if battery life was the thing don't yu think that a 3rd party might develope a higher yield bat for pb and ibook or is thin factor limiting this
  • Reply 65 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

are the PB or ibook batteries hot swapable??? do we just need to carry an extra battery??? don't they sell stand alone battery chargers. also if battery life was the thing don't yu think that a 3rd party might develope a higher yield bat for pb and ibook or is thin factor limiting this

Like these from Newer Technology

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2003/09/17.13.shtml
  • Reply 66 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

I can clearly see the pixel boundaries and it is distracting me. If your eyes are worse, fine, but mine are able to read text on a 1440xsomething 15".

Stop being apologetic of Apples shortcomings, the one size does not fit all.

Hear, hear. This is exactly the reason why I didn't buy the 14" iBook, although I would have loved to. 1024x768 just doesn't cut it for me. I CAN SEE the pixels, the image just isn't sharp enough for me.

What's the use developping quartz, an elegant iterface, fast user switching, 128bit icons, ... if you can't visually enjoy them?
  • Reply 67 of 75
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Pandoering

128bit icons

• Reply 68 of 75
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Pandoering

128bit icons

Yeah, I think you meant 128X128 pixel icons.
  • Reply 69 of 75
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    according macrumors we will probally have to wait till 2005

Quote:

According to an anonymous report...

In light of the ongoing difficulties in incorporating desktop-class processors (such as the PowerPC 970) into the PowerBook, Apple and IBM have laid the foundation for an architectural revamp of the PowerPC to produce an ultra low power 64-bit mobile processor.

According to this report, the upcoming mobile PowerPC will be part of a 300 series of processors from IBM. This new mobile processor is not due to debut until 2005.

• Reply 70 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

according macrumors we will probally have to wait till 2005

i told you big boobs that apple would not put a g5 in a powerbook.

you scoffed and laughed but look at ya' now!

according to the article a 2.5 GHZ 970 at 0.13um consumes 96 watts!!!

so according to "rumours" apple and ibm are designing a new "3000" series low-power 64-bit chip.

now...please be patient!
  • Reply 71 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekmeet

i told you big boobs that apple would not put a g5 in a powerbook.

you scoffed and laughed but look at ya' now!

Not that I disagree, but could you tell us what are the options for the next 2 or, perhaps, 3 powerbook revisions, until the alleged chip sees the light? I think this story is related to my previous post in this thread and it seems we actually talk about a completely new processor design, suitable for embedded applications. Unless Motorola surprises us next year, I don't see what else than a low power (for now, low frequency) G5, could be used in the next powerbook revision.
  • Reply 72 of 75
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Not that I disagree, but could you tell us what are the options for the next 2 or, perhaps, 3 powerbook revisions, until the alleged chip sees the light? I think this story is related to my previous post in this thread and it seems we actually talk about a completely new processor design, suitable for embedded applications. Unless Motorola surprises us next year, I don't see what else than a low power (for now, low frequency) G5, could be used in the next powerbook revision.

so you mean ibook G5 in 2005
  • Reply 73 of 75
    Like the G5 (970), I'll betcha this low-powered "mobile" 64-bit processor has been in the works for some time. I'm going to venture out on a limb and say it's closer than we think.
  • Reply 74 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

so you mean ibook G5 in 2005

Well, that depends on demand and on how quickly the development of 64-bit mobile processors is going to progress. I don't see actually a need for the next 2-3 years to have 64-bit low end notebooks. If one needs 64-bit memory address space and the other niceties of a G5 in a notebook, he can buy a G5 powerbook (when it comes out of course ). I really hope and wish Motorola comes back in the game and offers some nice options, at least for the iBook. And if the G5 (or whatever 64-bit mobile processor) is delayed until 2005, I really hope and wish Motorola delivers in time next year just to guarantee a decent powerbook update (one can dream, right?). In the meantime, AMD is preparing the first 64-bit notebook... (see also the other thread "AMD gearing up for speed").
  • Reply 75 of 75
    From Page 2 MacRumors:

Quote:

According to an anonymous report...

In light of the ongoing difficulties in incorporating desktop-class processors (such as the PowerPC 970) into the PowerBook, Apple and IBM have laid the foundation for an architectural revamp of the PowerPC to produce an ultra low power 64-bit mobile processor.

According to this report, the upcoming mobile PowerPC will be part of a 300 series of processors from IBM. This new mobile processor is not due to debut until 2005.