echo halo.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I read this:

Halo beta 4.. testing Network play now..

does anyone have more info on this? I'm really excited to get this game!!!

flick.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    People are still excited about this? Wasn't this supposed to be released three years ago? Bungie demo'd it at MacWorld four years ago. Ah, there's nothing like a warmed-over port of a port of a now fairly old game.

I reserve any judgment until I see in person how well/poorly it performs. As a game itself, well, at least it'll add another title to the Mac platform's meager coffers.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

People are still excited about this? Wasn't this supposed to be released three years ago? Bungie demo'd it at MacWorld four years ago. Ah, there's nothing like a warmed-over port of a port of a now fairly old game.

I reserve any judgment until I see in person how well/poorly it performs. As a game itself, well, at least it'll add another title to the Mac platform's meager coffers.

Oh I'm aware and saw the demo at that distant mac world.

still. if people are still loving it on their Xboxes then I'm bound to love it on my Mac. one more game to play at those LAN parties my PC friends have.

Brad, chin up, this will be a good one.

flick.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    That's what at least half of the Mac community says when anyone mentions Halo. "Wasn't that supposed to come out x number of years ago?"

Well, it's coming out now. Deal with it. It's a totally different game than back then. Games often take a long time, especially when the company gets bought out, and ESPECIALLY when Bungie is developing it. Hopefully it'll be good for the Mac and not too slow...
  • Reply 4 of 32
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

It's a totally different game than back then.

You couldn't be more right. It was an interesting game back then. The demo was a working engine. Then Microsoft came in and they threw that out and turned Halo into an FPS.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

You couldn't be more right. It was an interesting game back then. The demo was a working engine. Then Microsoft came in and they threw that out and turned Halo into an FPS.

What was it before an FPS?
  • Reply 6 of 32
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Halo isn't out for Macs yet? I just saw it on the Apple Store.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

Halo isn't out for Macs yet? I just saw it on the Apple Store.

They have games that aren't released yet on the Apple Store.... just like new systems, you can order them but you won't get it until it's available.

December 3rd is the release date for Halo on mac.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    paispais Posts: 34member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

There are a ton of poorly done animations ...

I've noticed that, too ... to me, it looks like the animations are well-made, but they look very 'choppy' because they keyframes are either not smoothly interpolated or not interpolated often enough. This also occurs with their physics simulation (most noticeable when you're actually in the vehicle).

This occurs in both the Xbox and PC versions, and I'm sure it'll be there in the Mac version. Not a deal-breaker, but it annoys the heck out of guys like me.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    paispais Posts: 34member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

What was it before an FPS?

Nobody knows ... it was just an amazing tech demo that made everybody wonder what the gameplay would be like.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

• Reply 12 of 32
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Are you guys kidding me? Have you played Halo? On an XBox? On PC? Multiplayer? This is simply a fantastic game. It's Bungie for Christ's sake. We're all sad that it didn't make it to the Mac ages ago, but it's still a great game. And the textures/resolution are much improved for the PC/Mac releases, as well as added weapons, levels, et cetera...
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by serrano

Are you guys kidding me? Have you played Halo? On an XBox? On PC? Multiplayer? This is simply a fantastic game. It's Bungie for Christ's sake. We're all sad that it didn't make it to the Mac ages ago, but it's still a great game. And the textures/resolution are much improved for the PC/Mac releases, as well as added weapons, levels, et cetera...

Don't make me go on about what is Bungie and what isn't. The Halo isn't Bungie. Bungie no longer exists. Bungie's last real game was Myth II. Marathon over Appletalk, SPNKRs and fusion pistols in high school. That was Bungie.

Myth: TFL and Myth II were Bungie...these games created a sense of community...orders like Clan Plaid, OMAG, GfH, etc. They sparked gatherings of these orders, massive organized tournaments, massive followings. Hell, to this day Myth and Marathon still have people churning out software updates...because they love the games.

Halo is not a Marathon nor a Myth. It's just another game.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    "Halo is not a Marathon nor a Myth. It's just another game"

-it might be just another game, but it is a very good one (probably one of the best game ive played in the past 3 years)
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Eugene, just because you're bitter about Halo and Bungie doesn't automatically mean all their games are bad. Yes, it sucks that they were bought by MS and that Halo never developed for Mac until now, but Halo is still a good game.

Halo isn't just another game. Neither is Marathon or Myth, and I've played both.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:

Eugene, just because you're bitter about Halo and Bungie doesn't automatically mean all their games are bad. Yes, it sucks that they were bought by MS and that Halo never developed for Mac until now, but Halo is still a good game.

Halo isn't just another game. Neither is Marathon or Myth, and I've played both.

I'm not bitter at all. Halo was much more exciting when it was a totally different game in 1999. What's next, are you going to sing the praises of Bungie West's Oni? Please. Marathon and Myth are on another plane. They sparked a real sense of community and loyalty. Halo will never have any of the cult following. Bungie lost its allure. Halo is yesterday's game.

Bungie released Marathon when you were 10 years old, and Myth when you were 13. You simply don't have the same perspective on Bungie's heritage.

You wouldn't remember the Total Codex or Myth Unlimited websites...or the very beginnings of bungie.org. You wouldn't have noticed the dwindling numbers at every Bungie fanfest until they completely disappeared by the time Halo was released. People on CPHL still talk about Marathon and Myth. Nobody cares about Halo. It's just another game.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    halo.bungie.org

No fans... okay.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:

halo.bungie.org

No fans... okay.

Proof you have no idea what I'm talking about.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:

I'm not bitter at all. Halo was much more exciting when it was a totally different game in 1999. What's next, are you going to sing the praises of Bungie West's Oni? Please. Marathon and Myth are on another plane. They sparked a real sense of community and loyalty. Halo will never have any of the cult following. Bungie lost its allure. Halo is yesterday's game.

Bungie released Marathon when you were 10 years old, and Myth when you were 13. You simply don't have the same perspective on Bungie's heritage.

You wouldn't remember the Total Codex or Myth Unlimited websites...or the very beginnings of bungie.org. You wouldn't have noticed the dwindling numbers at every Bungie fanfest until they completely disappeared by the time Halo was released. People on CPHL still talk about Marathon and Myth. Nobody cares about Halo. It's just another game.

I remember Marathon...man, was that one uninspired game. The whole game was shooting and occasionally triggering a switch through massive gunfire.

But I loved it all the same.

That was in 1996 or so...was that Marathon, or Marathon II or III?

And Oni sucked, in my opinion. Bland graphics and nothing to make up for it.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Why did the port to PC take so long? Wasn't the Xbox's OS just a tweaked Win98 or 2000? I remember that MSFT did that so PC games could be ported to the Xbox extremely quickly, and visa-versa. But I guess this isn't the case.