Did the Bush administration claim Iraq was an imminent threat?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 298
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Scott's point is that we needed to go to war before summer for strategic reasons... there waas no threat reason... why not wait until September? They didn't want to wait because the argument to go to war would become weaker and weaker... and a possible diplomatic solution may have become available.

Germany and France are no heros. They could have done other things than just oppose the US to try to slow the US down. But the administration was already posturing... that it didn't matter what the UN did.

The Whitehouse had set the ball rolling last september... and they weren't going to stop it for any reason. It didn't fit into their re-election strategy.

They thought they could get in and out of Iraq in 18 months... and starting the war later would put the plan behind schedule. TOO CLOSE TO THE ELECTION.

Guess what George... Pre-Emptive War is a bad idea.

And he's the first to start one for the US.
  • Reply 22 of 298
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

My experience is that he doesn't clarify or expand on his comments anymore, he just makes some inscrutible comment then "poof", disappears. I miss the old Groverat.

ennui

--

Expansion!

This is a thread directly about semantics from politicians. The circular arguments are 100% certain to arise and they are built right in to the subject, there is no hope at all for clarity, much less resolution.

Now I understand that almost nothing on message boards that finds resolution or clarity, but almost nothing is more than nothing. And starting a thread that's doomed from the start is hilarious to me.

Hence: This Thread Is Pure Genius.

It's not an attack on BRussell, it's a comment on the golden nature of the thread itself.
  • Reply 23 of 298
    aaplaapl Posts: 124member
    Seems to me that the imminent threat is the Islamic "house of learning", and those parties that support to them madrasas, both actively and passively. Many Western thinking government are just as culprit here as the Arab/Islamic governments. Destroying the buildings and those in them, alone is not the optimum solution. But it will slow them down. The show of power is important, as it is part of a psychological war. And that is the key. Rumsfeld is correct in asking question about the war for the heart and mind. And my intuition tells me that an approach that uses total and complete humiliation is the best way to go. Call it the wrath of Kahn the sequel. (Reference is to the Mongols)
  • Reply 24 of 298
    Umm... what?

your point is?
  • Reply 25 of 298
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

Umm... what?

your point is?

I'll assume this is for me..

Point is,

the question posed was regards an imminent threat to the US and I guess western values in general. I pointed out where that imminent threat lies.

Further,

the politically "correct" muzzle the leftist pinkos have managed to put on free thought and speech is an insidious device used in the benefit of their political cousins: the Marxists/Islamicists. Islam is not a religion of peace. It is a religion of war, expansion, subjugation and worst kind of imperialism. And it should be treated in the same manner as Communism/Nazism/Fascism was.
  • Reply 26 of 298
    All those who want their old AppleOutsider back, here is your G5. Happy days are here again.

Mika, my friend, welcome home.

We missed you.
  • Reply 27 of 298

*hugs* and *kisses*
  • Reply 28 of 298
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Bush lied about his justification for us needing to go to war. That's all we really need to know.
  • Reply 29 of 298
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aapl

Further,

the politically "correct" muzzle the leftist pinkos have managed to put on free thought and speech is an insidious device used in the benefit of their political cousins: the Marxists/Islamicists. Islam is not a religion of peace. It is a religion of war, expansion, subjugation and worst kind of imperialism. And it should be treated in the same manner as Communism/Nazism/Fascism was.

Islam is being treated the same as Communism, that is, as an all purpose cover for the worst kind of abuses, foreign and domestic. It seems we always need a "demon" to keep attention off the ever denied promise of American equality and justice.

Oh, and you're an idiot.
  • Reply 30 of 298
    the PC muzzle... nice spin...so if it's not christian it's an imminent threat?

Do you know that the Muslim faith is the largest religion in the world?

I don't think anyone can point a finger at any other culture and say they're the war mongers... that's not being PC... it's being realistic.

There's a big difference in fighting a holy war and fighting a cold war.

You can use all the non "PC" language you want... it's a free country.

You rightwingheadupyourassneoconservativewarmongering tool.
  • Reply 31 of 298
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Oh, and you're an idiot.

Well, in keeping with the original theme of this thread, as started by BRussell, I think we should decide whether

1. appl is an idiot.

2. appl is a bigot.

Thoughts?
  • Reply 32 of 298
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Well, in keeping with the original theme of this thread, as started by BRussell, I think we should decide whether

1. appl is an idiot.

2. appl is a bigot.

Thoughts?

Hmmm.... I gonna stick with idiot, acting as a precursor for biogtry.
  • Reply 33 of 298
    Quote:

the PC muzzle... nice spin...so if it's not christian it's an imminent threat?

Do you know that the Muslim faith is the largest religion in the world?

So was/is communism. That means it must be good.

Quote:

I think we should decide whether

1. appl is an idiot.

2. appl is a bigot.

Thoughts?

LOL. That was just too predictable.

BTW,

Any time you have the likes of your Sammi Joe's bemoaning US foreign policy in the Middle East, you know you're doing something right.

] http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2003Nov6.html
  • Reply 34 of 298
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member

Just what we need around here, another black and white, blinded by the right, holy versus evil, inarticulate, neo-con that only flames hatred and adds NOTHING to the general conversation.

Bravo.
  • Reply 35 of 298
    Quote:

1. appl is an idiot.

2. appl is a bigot.

Thoughts?

People! In an Indian theatre show, appl's entrance would've been preceded by flashing lights and the sound of thunder.

He is The Villain.

Where've you been? It's Mika. It's PC*KILLA. He's not like you and me. He dodges suicide bombs in Haifa every day.

In answer to your question, Chinney, he's both.
  • Reply 36 of 298
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

People! In an Indian theatre show, appl's entrance would've been preceded by flashing lights and the sound of thunder.

He is The Villain.

Where've you been? It's Mika. It's PC*KILLA. He's not like you and me. He dodges suicide bombs in Haifa every day.

In answer to your question, Chinney, he's both.

Hassan, my love, I'm just an lowly amateur compared to you. I pay you my homage.
  • Reply 37 of 298
    It's a religion. Different than a political system.

We seem to be getting along with China pretty well.

And we have many allies who's citizens are primarily Muslim.

According to you we still have alot of work to do to convert a vast majority of the world's population to our "westerm" ways. And apparently you think we should do it ruthlessly through force.

Doesn't sound like democracy in action to me.
  • Reply 38 of 298
    Quote:

It's a religion. Different than a political system.

We seem to be getting along with China pretty well.

And we have many allies who's citizens are primarily Muslim.

According to you we still have alot of work to do to convert a vast majority of the world's population to our "westerm" ways. And apparently you think we should do it ruthlessly through force.

Doesn't sound like democracy in action to me.

I think I made the point to point out that force can only be part of solution..
  • Reply 39 of 298
    I think your point was "COMPLETE HUMILIATION". And to insult those of Islamic faith.

Sounds like a winning strategy.
  • Reply 40 of 298
    Well, I think Afghanistan was such a complete humiliation..

No reason as to why the same tactics could not be used to similar affect elsewhere.