The next iPod

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

The only way that a 'video Pod' will take off is if they have the built-in capability to receive the new digital tv broadcasts that will become mandatory between now and 2007.

It's the only compelling reason to buy such a thing.

Either that or Apple could start selling/renting mpeg4 movies online via Quicktime. It would work like iTunes. Watch the movies on your PC and then sync them with your iPod when you go on the road. Now, I don't know if there is a market for this, but it doesn't sound too inconceivable.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kecksy

Either that or Apple could start selling/renting mpeg4 movies online via Quicktime. It would work like iTunes. Watch the movies on your PC and then sync them with your iPod when you go on the road. Now, I don't know if there is a market for this, but it doesn't sound too inconceivable.

This is the concept that I think will come to pass. There are already applications to shrink DVD's for other portable devices. I believe that the studios would rather legitimise the process using a "Movie store", however the quality of the download would not be high enough for TV use. Thus preserving the need to buy real DVD's.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Given that Sony is about to release "CDs" that only play on Sony players, I think the odds of the 6cm media taking off are slim to none - but only because Sony will probably cripple it in much the same way.

Pity. It looks like we might have to wait for Philips to release a successor to the CD, since they're the only media company that seems to get it.

I've been thinking about what could replace the CD, as a physical medium. Part of me figures that the longer we go on without a replacement to the CD/DVD (12cm) format, the less relevant a replacement becomes. Still, a CD replacement that only costs a couple of dollars but is small enough for devices like PDA's and digital cameras, and also has a lot of 1st party content available, could be a great CDrw replacement, good for devices and computers -- right now you either have to use expensive solid state memory (in an alphabet soup of standards) or cheap, but comparatively huge optical media.

Even floppies managed to come down from 5.25 to 3.5. Sony had a good idea with the mini disc, but they didn't really want to share. Minidisc had some limits, but there were prototypes for a new generation that had up to 6GB capacity. Nothing ever came of it because the format didn't really have world wide penetration.

If the situation continues, I suspect content will always be published on 12cm media, and just transferred to smaller devices with solid state storage (and for now) small hard drives. While the format isn't really that portable for many modern uses, it has the advantage of wide acceptance and it will always hold more data than something smaller (which is good for the move to hi-def video and audio formats)

A cool unity of purpose might be to publish both 12 and 8cm media with equal vigor once again. If you take an 8cm DVD (and later, blue laser) it holds plenty of data for music, and even for home video. You might buy movies on 12cm discs, and music on 8cm, and blank 8cm for use in video cameras, or portable music devices. All readable and writeable in the same drive.

I wonder where that might leave Apple and their semi standard slot loaders?

As for the quality of a QT store, it's only waiting for the bandwidth/ broadband speeds and market saturation (of broadband) to make 500-700MB downloads tolerable. A 700MB divx/MPEG4 rip of a DVD oes an admirable job, and is more than viewable on a large TV. With a proper encoding from a studio master, the results should be close enough as makes no difference to the sort of audience that would buy online music/movies.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by whoami

the only reason people want bluetooth is for wireless headphones and things like that...we're not stupid enough to think you can transfer 40gigs via bluetooth!

My bad!

In meager defense for not thinking about the legit uses for Bluetooth, I can only say that I have indeed seen messages from people who wanted to use Bluetooth to replace FireWire.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    that's ok man!

i just checked out that n-gage...pretty lame compared to what the psp is gonna be...the cost is gonna be my only concern with it!
  • Reply 26 of 27
    MacRumors page 2 report suggest special instore apple music event on nov 28th which happens to be black friday one of the busiest shopping days of the year.

iPod Price drop anyone?

I wouldn't anticpate new ipods till after january. Perhaps alongside itunes 5. The bigger the splash the more headlines you grab. Annoucne both together and you'll get those headlines.

I hope the next revision of ipods uses those 1 inch drives...so they can be perhaps a bit smaller and thinner
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by whoami

that's ok man!

i just checked out that n-gage...pretty lame compared to what the psp is gonna be...the cost is gonna be my only concern with it!

You mean what teh psp is PLANNED to be. The psp will definately compete well with nintedo. The flaw with the n gage is it has a cell phone. which means your locked into 1 wireless service.

All this competition for the coolest best device is good for US the consumers. The competition will drive prices down and in the end we win.

Bluetooth headphones would be so cumbersome if there has to be a decoder in them. I like the small headphones my ipod has. I think apple needs to invent the first wires that don't friggin tangle.