Java 1..4.1 Update For Panther 42 MB

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Now on Software Update:



Download Details

Company: Apple

Version: 1.4.1 (Panther)

Post Date: 11/12/03

License: Update

File Size: 41MB

System Requirements

Mac OS X 10.3 or later



The Java Update delivers functional enhancements and improved stability for running Java applications and applets. It contains support for both Java 1.4.1 and Java 1.3.1. It is strongly recommended that all users install this update.



====================

After I installed it:



Terminal reports after java -version



java version "1.4.1_01"

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_01-99)

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_01-27, mixed mode)



Which is the same as before, but I had repaired mine by reinstalling the Java package after renaming Javaframeworks. Must be some other stuff in there.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 24
    Originally posted by mcsjgs

    Download Details

    Company: Apple

    Version: 1.4.1 (Panther)

    Post Date: 11/12/03

    License: Update

    File Size: 41MB

    System Requirements

    Mac OS X 10.3 or later



    The Java Update delivers functional enhancements and improved stability for running Java applications and applets. It contains support for both Java 1.4.1 and Java 1.3.1. It is strongly recommended that all users install this update.







    Not showing up on any of my machines...
  • Reply 2 of 24
    It didn't show up in my software update either, but it's on the Apple download page in the "Apple" category dated 12 Nov. So I guess it's there. I'm downloading it because I'm looking forward to added Java functionality.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Well I downloaded it, only to discover that the .dmg has a bad checksum and wouldn't mount. I sent Apple an email on that in their feedback section. Hopefully they'll fix it soon. Anyone else try with success? I doubt it's my machine causing the problem. I haven't had a problem with it yet.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    Just out of curiousity, I went to the Panther install disks with Pacifist and the original Java package was 57.1 MB.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    My guess is that there are serious changes to Java. It's a rather large file, but it's one I want. I just have to figure out how to get it to checksum into an Image.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    I could not figure out where you were downloading it from until I went here:



    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/



    It downloaded and checksummed OK. I can't seem to attach an an image of the package get info window (no http address) but it says:

    installer package 42.6 MB on disk.



    Maybe try re-downloading it?
  • Reply 7 of 24
    I downloaded it off apple.com since it didn't show up on my SoftwareUpdate. meanwhile, I didn't see any different. Apple made it confusing.



    Remember we have Java 1.4.1 update from Apple during Jaguar.

    Since Panther ships with Java 1.4.1 (Apple calls it).. and now.. still calling it Java 1.4.1 Update.. strange.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    This is Java 1.4.1 for Panther, tah dah!
  • Reply 9 of 24
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The disk image mounted fine with Toast, but I'm going to wait to install it because I don't want to restart my computer just yet.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    Some people are saying that AIM and iChat AV load faster after they updated. Some are saying that Limewire works again after the update.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Three downloads from three different links. Bad checksum each time.



    It's also not showing up in my Software Update.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Not showing up on SU for me either. Maybe someone at Apple jumped the gun?
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:

    Originally posted by VanDeWaals

    Not showing up on SU for me either. Maybe someone at Apple jumped the gun?



    Same here.



    I'm waiting until it's "officially" in Software Update before installing.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Well it appeared on my desktop I didn't seek it. I installed it and havn't noticed any difference yet.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by VanDeWaals

    Not showing up on SU for me either. Maybe someone at Apple jumped the gun?



    It showed up in Software Update as advertised. Software Update did its thing. Perhaps the trouble lies somewhere other than Apple.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mr. Me

    Perhaps the trouble lies somewhere other than Apple.



    Nope.



    This is a clean install of Panther. The only noteworthy modifications that have been made are that I've run software update to get iSync 1.3, Mac OS X 10.3.1, and Xcode 1.0.1.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Brad

    Nope.



    This is a clean install of Panther. The only noteworthy modifications that have been made are that I've run software update to get iSync 1.3, Mac OS X 10.3.1, and Xcode 1.0.1.




    Could be not be showing up because of having installed 10.3.1? I've done so and I don't see the new Java in SU either.



    Also, could it have anything to do with the broken Java that occurred with some folks Panther install? No techie here, so I know no particulars, but could SU be checking for those versions of Java that need to be fixed?
  • Reply 18 of 24
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    I think it may have something to do with your type of installation. Seems odd to me, but I did not get it in Software Update either. I went investigating to find:



    http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2099.html



    People who won't see the update in the system update panel:



    ? Upgrade installations of Panther from Jaguar systems without the QuickTime for Java Update, v6.4 update.

    ? "Erase and Install" installations of Panther

    ? "Archive and Install" installations of Panther



    Also.... Remember the Java 1.4.1 update was labeled "1" and pulled due to incompatibility issues. See following info at this link:



    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120242



    TITLE

    Java 1.4.1 Update 1 for Mac OS X: Information and Download



    Article ID:

    Created:

    Modified:

    120242

    9/4/03

    10/23/03





    TOPIC





    We are in the process of revising the Java 1.4.1 download to provide better compatibility



    with changes made in other recent Apple software updates.



    Check back here for up-to-date information on the status of the Java 1.4.1. download.



    Maybe it is all related...? I just downloaded the standalone installer, but I'm waiting to hear more feedback before installing it.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Donny

    I think it may have something to do with your type of installation. Seems odd to me, but I did not get it in Software Update either. I went investigating to find:



    http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2099.html



    People who won't see the update in the system update panel:



    ? Upgrade installations of Panther from Jaguar systems without the QuickTime for Java Update, v6.4 update.

    ? "Erase and Install" installations of Panther

    ? "Archive and Install" installations of Panther







    Which all suggests that my Archive and Install version of Java is a-ok. But i wonder if this update will bring any other boosts? I too will wait on further reports before installing.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I got it via Software Update.



    Took about 2 minutes to download, 5 seconds (if that) to install and 10 seconds or so to optimize. Must have been a very minor change.
Sign In or Register to comment.