Adobe may have fired Mac Developers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Adobe may have canned a bunch of Mac Devs

Should Apple pick up the cream of this talent?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Photoshop CS really sucks in G5. Dispite the Adobe's claim of an improved optimisation of PS for the G5, the first benchmarks show a decrease of performance of 20 to 30 % in PS 7.

If Adobe is not interested by Mac users , good for them. It will hurt Apple but it will also hurt Adobe. Frankly what companie can have the luxury to denigrate 40 % of his clients ?
  • Reply 2 of 71
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The rumor purports that a bunch of people who dealt with the installation/installers for PS and Illustrator were canned. Considering how bad the installation of these apps is, both the installers and where they install things, it might be the right place to streamline the company.

Adobe's clearly moving to abandon Macs in the forseeable future anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 71
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    And then Apple can abandon the computer market, haha!
  • Reply 4 of 71
    "Well sonny, back when I was your age, Apple sold computers!"

"Whatever,Grandpa. Mom, Grandpa needs his meds!"

They're better as a music company anyway.
  • Reply 5 of 71
    ya... if adobe would abandon Mac... which that will not happen, that would really suck for Adobe, Apple, me, and a bunch of other people that use dat Adobe software...
  • Reply 6 of 71
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Adobe won't affect Apple at all if they leave within 3-5 years.

It's so blatantly obvious that Apple itself is weaning itself off of Graphics as it's lifeblood.

Digital Video is key as well as branching out with Lifestyle products like the iPod and iTMS. I'm tired of reading about Adobe. I don't own Photoshop and neither do millions of other Mac user like me.

The key to profits is the items that we can all use. I'm willing to bet that Apple could create an app for $399 that gives us %80 of what PS does with some nifty things included. I could see them bundling this app with Final Cut Pro, DVDSP 2.0, etc.

A Software revolution is needed on our platform. Apple needs to be the beacon for all programmmers that want to write software beyond compare.

Raiding Adobe wouldn't be a bad idea or hitting Sun up for a few choice engineers. Apple is bringing the "fun" back into computers. Lets keep this thing going.
  • Reply 7 of 71
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Adobe won't stop making Mac products. They are stupid morons, but they're not stupid enough to stop selling the products they make money on.

See Adobe CS, the Mac version doesn't contain product activation. Why? Because Mac users don't bend over and buy stuff like that. As much as they hate us, they need us.

In a theoretical senario where Adobe pulled out of the Mac market, Apple would certainly introduce a Photoshop equivelent quick-smart (all the other Adobe products have real competition). Apple may even keep a Photoshop killer in development and under-wraps for just that senario.

Barto
  • Reply 8 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Adobe won't affect Apple at all if they leave within 3-5 years.

Oh, I think they would. Premiere makes a bad example, it was never the industry standard.

Photoshop is the standard in the 2-D art world, and together with Illustrator it makes a potent combination. There is no way that the loss of those two applications would do anything but serious harm to the mac as a professional graphics platform. It isn't just the app, but the years of training on the part of the thousands of artists behind it -- people who will not up and shift to a new app just because it's "on the mac."
  • Reply 9 of 71
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Adobe is just waiting until they see a critial mass of graphics shops on Windows instead of Macs. They're helping with the push.

Anyway, I don't think the Adobe apps are exactly stellar examples of OS X apps. So maybe they'll get some fresh blood in there and do a better job than the PS 7 and CS projects.
  • Reply 10 of 71
    Photoshop is nice. If someone else made something similar that was well coded, I'd buy it for sure. Illustrator is nice too, but IMHO it's getting less useful by the day, since 3D is eclipsing 2D.
  • Reply 11 of 71
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Why does Adobe like Windows so much? Microsoft could accidentally step on them and they'd be dead. Besides Apple has support their (imo crap) formats like PDF. Microingsoft does not like "developers" no matter how many times a raving monkey with pit stains says the word.
  • Reply 12 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Why does Adobe like Windows so much? Microsoft could accidentally step on them and they'd be dead. Besides Apple has support their (imo crap) formats like PDF. Microingsoft does not like "developers" no matter how many times a raving monkey with pit stains says the word.

I am thinking the same thing here.

Adobe could find themselves in big trouble w/Microsoft. Microsoft has already made it clear they want go after PDF. How successful they will be, who knows. But don't underestimate MS...and...oh...they have a monopoly w/monopoly profits to fund losing money on one business in order to leverage themselves into another business.

Microsoft needs to continue generating revenue and profit growth. Once their core products (Windows & Office) level off, which they show signs of, they'll shoot for other product categories. Does anyone thing for a second MS won't try to take over Photoshop and Illustrator and other Adobe products? If Adobe (and Apple) were smart they'd merge. Adobe has a lot of great technologies, and Apple would gain a strong product family too.

Microsoft is a black widow...anyone...I mean ANYONE that does business with MS, does so at their own peril. Dell and Intel ought to take heed to and watch, very closely, MS's obvious hardware desires (Xbox).
  • Reply 13 of 71
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    Why is everyone so convinced that Adobe hates Macs?
  • Reply 14 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by robo

Why is everyone so convinced that Adobe hates Macs?

Here. I'm not convinced but that thread has some pretty damning evidence.
  • Reply 15 of 71
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Why does Adobe like Windows so much?

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/creativesuite.html

Quote:

...Adobe sees Apple as a potential competitor to its upcoming Creative Suite bundle, according to sources and internal plans...

...Adobe views creative companies...as its main competitors, but believes it should also be monitoring Apple's actions as well as rumors about Apple...

...Key to this is Apple's practice of releasing iApps and other Apple-branded software in areas previously addressed by independent vendors...

...Apple could develop its own set of creative tools, or, to get a product to market more quickly, could acquire a smaller developer of creative software. Adobe also fears that Apple could take the next step and create its own bundled creative "suite."...

..."Apple can be unpredictable," Adobe's plans say, according to a source. "We will need to keep a close eye on Apple."...

Adobe are nuts. As Amorph said a while ago, Apple are NOT unpredictable. If Adobe messes up, Apple will try and replace Photoshop, Illustrator etc. If Adobe keeps up the pace then they have nothing to worry about. If this rumor is true however, Adobe HAS something to worry about. If so, good. I'm tired of the company.

Barto
  • Reply 16 of 71
    originally posted by Splinemodel

Quote:

Photoshop is nice. If someone else made something similar that was well coded, I'd buy it for sure. Illustrator is nice too, but IMHO it's getting less useful by the day, since 3D is eclipsing 2D.

I don't understand this "oh well" attitude about the possibility of Adobe leaving Apple. I am studying to be a photographer, the program that I'm trained on is Photoshop, I work in one of the largest studios on the East Coast, the computers they user are G4s with Photoshop. Can you imagine how pissed off a lot of large photo businesses are going to be if they have to reinvest in retraining their veteran photographers on new software, or reinvest in new Window hardware. Plus the time it would take to reformat alot of digitally archived images that are stored as Photoshop files.

The photography business in the area is hurting already due to the major furniture slow down. These are our largest clients. A lot of companies can't afford the reinvestment in a time they are trying to restructure their client base.

Adobe would be a fool to dump Apple, there might be enough backlash from smaller studios to hurt Adobe. It would be cheaper for the smaller studios to reinvest in new software and training than in new hardware in order to stick with Photoshop. The larger studios would have to weigh the cost of one move or the other.
  • Reply 17 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

originally posted by Splinemodel

I don't understand this "oh well" attitude about the possibility of Adobe leaving Apple. I am studying to be a photographer, the program that I'm trained on is Photoshop, I work in one of the largest studios on the East Coast, the computers they user are G4s with Photoshop. Can you imagine how pissed off a lot of large photo businesses are going to be if they have to reinvest in retraining their veteran photographers on new software, or reinvest in new Window hardware. Plus the time it would take to reformat alot of digitally archived images that are stored as Photoshop files.

The photography business in the area is hurting already due to the major furniture slow down. These are our largest clients. A lot of companies can't afford the reinvestment in a time they are trying to restructure their client base.

Adobe would be a fool to dump Apple, there might be enough backlash from smaller studios to hurt Adobe. It would be cheaper for the smaller studios to reinvest in new software and training than in new hardware in order to stick with Photoshop. The larger studios would have to weigh the cost of one move or the other.

1) The photoshop format is not secret.

2) I used to use various apps for video editing. then Apple made FinalCut and it did more, was easy to pick up, and in about 30 mins I liked it better than anything I had ever used before. If Apple made a Photoshop equivalent, there's no doubt in my mind that it will be a much better app than Photoshop.

I can't really see what's so unique about Photoshop. It has an easily dupable toolset, and the Image menu options are pretty generically named, as are the filters. Furthermore, 99% of the tools in Photoshop are built on open source algorithms. As it is, I don't really see how much "training" a person needs in order to use Photoshop over another product that does the same thing. As a photographer, you should know the basic concepts of darkroom practice. These apply to any software tool.
  • Reply 18 of 71
    LiquidR, where are you going?

Given the way software companies operate, I'm not so sure that it wouldn't be cheaper to just change HW rather than software platforms -- you use your current HW/SF configs for their normal upgrade cycle, then "switch" when it's time for new machines. If it were really important to Adobe to "switch" people on to a PC they could offer "upgrades" to windows versions (from he mac) or even a really agressive one to one exchange of mac to PC licences. If the software opens the files properly, then the HW it runs on won't matter one bit to any of the money men.

And so the importance of marketshare rears its oft lamented head. Now Apple's "graphic arts" market share is considerable, and a significant portion of Adobe's profit comes out of it, but I recal reading that for the first time PC-photoshop revenue might surpass mac-photoshop revenue at Adobe. 50-50 or so, and already Adobe is thinking it can plan a potential "switch" just in case...
  • Reply 19 of 71
    In a fast paced environment, efficiency is key.

I don't doubt someone can produce and app that is comparable to Photoshop, but a large software developer will want to change how many things are done in order to make their app standout, it maybe a better way to do the same thing in Photoshop. But it is different enough that instead of the necessary motions being second nature, the professional now has to take time to think about the steps and reorient to a new software environment. That is time taken away from shooting or producing new jobs. That is money taken out of a photographer's pocket, we are paid to be photographers.
  • Reply 20 of 71
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Photoshop is the standard in the 2-D art world, and together with Illustrator it makes a potent combination. There is no way that the loss of those two applications would do anything but serious harm to the mac as a professional graphics platform.

Standard only because Mac users made it so. If Adobe abandons the Mac platform, the new standard on the Mac will be whatever Apple creates to replace PS. That simple. I hope that does happen as Adobe's software is becoming much like the bloated software put out by Microsoft.