Force Quit Annoyance

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

its not weird computing habits....and it has happened on every system i've used and also happens to my brother and mother and obviously many people here

if an app hangs.....which is THE REASON TO FORCE QUIT......and you try to....it doesn't on first try more often than not.

and its annoying and stupid as hell.

I have the same problems than yours.

Brad do not have this problems.

So it's seems that this problems is only for AO mod, and Admin are protected : man that sucks
  • Reply 22 of 29
    It happens to me all the time as well. Very annoying to have to force quit 2 or 3 times to have it take.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    I'm using Ambrisia's 'Escapepod' for force-quit.

description:

escapepod is a little application that lets you terminate the frontmost application by hitting Control-Alt-Delete, terminate the Dock by hitting Shift-Control-Alt-Delete, or do a force-logout by hitting Command-Control-Alt-Delete.

There are times that Mac OS X appears to be hung (especially in some games) when it really isn't -- just the frontmost application's GUI is wedged. The Dock also occasionally stops responding under some circumstances, which can be cured by terminating it . Additionally, when the entire GUI appears to be hung, it is safer to do a force-logout than to simply reboot your machine (and it is quicker, too).

escapepod - ambrosia
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Open a term...

Code:

killall -9 [app name]

Where app name is the program's name when you see it in top or "ps -A"
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Open a term...

Code:

killall -9 [app name]

Woh! sorry I forgot to say not to use this unless force quit does not work and you only have one program open that you want to quit... killall will kill all with the same name.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Threads like this always make me wonder what kind of weird computing habits other people have that make these problems arise.

I almost never have the problems described here and I consider myself to be quite the power user. \

What happens for me is that I'm a portable power user. If something (like MirrorAgent) is eating away my CPU (and consequently my battery life), I try to get it to stop. In my particular case, I've tried (unsuccessfully) to get the iDisk syncing to stop by clicking the little 'x' in the syncing window. I've tried making syncing manual. It usually works, but there are times it doesn't and then the finder gets unresponsive, etc, etc. It maybe that I've encountered this issue more than others because I've very cognizant of CPU usage, especially while I'm out. :/
  • Reply 27 of 29
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Open a term...

Code:

killall -9 [app name]

I would say you can retrieve the app name with the "-c" option. To see all apps with their names you would type "ps -axc".
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I would say you can retrieve the app name with the "-c" option. To see all apps with their names you would type "ps -axc".

Or a "ps -ax | grep "appname" - this will return the PID of the app.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

Or a "ps -ax | grep "appname" - this will return the PID of the app.

umm "ps -A" will show you all processes/programs running their PID and name. But all you need is the name... at least for the killall command. You would only need the PID if you use the kill command. I use killall because IMO recalling a name is easy compaired to a number. The -9 option gives the process the KILL signal with out -9 the process just gets a TERM(minate) signal which in some cases will not work.

"man kill" and "man killall" it is a good read.