Crappy new keyboards

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Well maybe the keys do not need to be absolutely static. maybe just a millimeter of give (think tiny scissor springs) but definitely no open gaps between the keys. this way you can still rest your fingers on the keys, have backlighting and hopefully just wipe to clean.

crumb and grime is what ruins keyboards. the white keyboard with clear enclosure shows more grime than usual. after reviewing the process to open an apple keyboard and clean it, i'd rather buy another keyboard.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jamil

crumb and grime is what ruins keyboards. the white keyboard with clear enclosure shows more grime than usual. after reviewing the process to open an apple keyboard and clean it, i'd rather buy another keyboard.

For what it's worth, I think the current keyboard is the best keyboard Apple has ever produced.

It's a simple minimalist design. It's been designed so that the inevitable debris that accumulates can't get into the lower half of the keyboard - if you look carefully you can see a fine lip running around the edge, where the keyboard meets the plastic base. The open design of the top of the keyboard means that it's very easy to clean with a hoover. I guess the thinking is easy in - easy out. You shouldn't have to disassemble it at all - and even if you do, it's now just a simple case of undoing a couple of allen screws and sliping the two parts apart.

Also, because the keys are white, they don't show wear and tear as badly and the old black keyboards (they don't develop shiny spots on the most commonly used keys). If the keys get dirty - clean them.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Well maybe it wouldn't be totally like the iPod (super-sensitive and subject to "brush by" input or "rapid fire" repeating): again, in the preference pane, what if there was a very good sensitivity sliding selector?

Depending on your size, age, strength, typing style, etc., one could set the keyboard to their liking?

And I don't imagine this thing being totally flat because, as a touch typist myself, I NEED to feel that sensation of "okay, I'm on the A, S, D, F..." that you get.

A slight raise of some sort? Something that could mimic an "individual key" feel? And of course, the little bumps on the F and J key (what was that always called? "Tits on the keyboard" or something?).

As long as the result isn't a damn thing like a membrane keyboard.

I'm not sure how adjustable the sensors used for the iPod are, but you'd definitely want to choose any settings carefully - nobody wants to start out by trying to get their keyboard to work right.

And I'm still not sure what I think of typing without any significant finger travel. I'm so used to it, and I'm also used to keyboards without travel being horrible.

As for the current keyboard, I have to agree that it's a terrific keyboard. It feels great, it's compact, and it seems to be solidly made and good at trapping crud where it can't hurt the mechanicals.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

It's a simple minimalist design. It's been designed so that the inevitable debris that accumulates can't get into the lower half of the keyboard - if you look carefully you can see a fine lip running around the edge, where the keyboard meets the plastic base. The open design of the top of the keyboard means that it's very easy to clean with a hoover. I guess the thinking is easy in - easy out. You shouldn't have to disassemble it at all - and even if you do, it's now just a simple case of undoing a couple of allen screws and sliping the two parts apart.

I have a 15" imac with the old white keyboard. Will have to take a closer look at the current one. If it's that easy, maybe it's time for a new keyboard.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jamil

I have a 15" imac with the old white keyboard. Will have to take a closer look at the current one. If it's that easy, maybe it's time for a new keyboard.

The old ones were REALLY difficult to clean. I wasn't into the whole "creaking plastic" noises that you would get when you were trying to forcefuly disassemble it!
  • Reply 46 of 46
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    I've always wanted a keyboard I can throw in the dishwasher.

It used to take me an hour to pop all the keys out of the Apple 'battleship' keyboard I had with my 8500 and wash them in the sink with soap. Felt like getting a brand new keyboard, but a major hassle.