Would this fly on the other side? Senator calls minority nominess "Neanderthals"

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Mines better than yours

Heck neanderthal would be a compliment compared to this nasty dose of leftist rhetoric. (Remember kiddies, only Republicans call names )

Nick

Livingstone is a complete idiot.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    finboyfinboy Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

So, my question is in all honesty, do folks think that a Republican Senator could have made this same comment without catching a lot more flak than this?

Hell no, don't be ridiculous. Ambiguous term? Whatever.

And now we see the bias inherent in the system.

[with apologies to Monty Python's Flying Circus]
  • Reply 23 of 41
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by finboy

Are you saying he was referring to race? Or that it should be obvious that he could be referring to race? To me, neither is true. How many people know the race of the nominees?
  • Reply 24 of 41
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by finboy

Yeah, I kinda would like to be clear on this: is the notion that Senator Kennedy was thinking, "Hmmm, people of color, which some of the judicial nominees that come before me are, sorta resemble gorillas in my book, but that might be a little obvious, so I'll say Neanderthal instead because nobody knows what that means but I sure will be inwardly celebrating my clever racist dig.", or is the idea the man is so consumed with racial hatred that it just sort of popped out?
  • Reply 25 of 41
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I think it's pretty obvious the guy doesn't agree with the politics of the judicial nominees.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,026member
    Whoops! There goes that point passing over lots of heads.

The point is the double standard. A Republican uttering those words would be called a racist and probably have to resign. A liberal doesn't even get covered. And since these people are in public life, there is a reasonable case for slander against Mr. Kennedy.

Amazing.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    The basic point of this thread has been completely ignored. Even Zell Miller got slammed for something he said. He's on the outs with the media and liberal/democratic special interest groups.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Yeah, I kinda would like to be clear on this: is the notion that Senator Kennedy was thinking, "Hmmm, people of color, which some of the judicial nominees that come before me are, sorta resemble gorillas in my book, but that might be a little obvious, so I'll say Neanderthal instead because nobody knows what that means but I sure will be inwardly celebrating my clever racist dig.", or is the idea the man is so consumed with racial hatred that it just sort of popped out?

Well you show the double standard perfectly there adda.

They point is that the media assumes and the Democrats contend that the little thought process you so perfectly described, does go on in Republican minds when in fact it does not.

That is why when a Republican utters such a comment, there is such an uproar, because Democrats and their media accomplices assume that inner dialog which can't be proven and wasn't there in the first place as well.

Nick
  • Reply 29 of 41
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    He didn't call minorities neanderthals. it's as simple as that.

He called the judical nominees neanderthals.

It's pretty benign.

It's funny when conservatives try to decide what's racist so they can spin something into a uproar. Nice try. They had no problems tolerating Jesse Helms for how many years?
  • Reply 30 of 41
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I know it's more fun to just pretend that whatever you think is true and not worry about facts, but I'd still like to hear about a Republican who made a similar comment and was crucified by the media for being racist.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I know it's more fun to just pretend that whatever you think is true and not worry about facts, but I'd still like to hear about a Republican who made a similar comment and was crucified by the media for being racist.

Code words

I think this gets into it a bit.

Nick
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Last time I checked he was still a senator.

And it was his own party that demoted him.

Trent Lott has a history of pushing racial buttons... to ignore it is silly.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,026member
    Quote:

Tell me how what Trent Lott said was worse than what Kennedy did. There's a pretty good example.

Secondly, you again are missing the point. It's not even about what Kennedy said. In a political vacuum it probably isn't racist. The point is that in political REALITY, it's not racist for him but would be for a conservative. Seriously, think about what would happen if Santorum DeLay or ANY major conservative figure said that. Be real.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:

Also why stop with just racist. We have seen on these boards the debate about whether Santorum also secretly hates gays. He made a statement which any rational person understood (it wasn't even calling names) to be discussing what acts it would be likely the government couldn't legislate against if the right of privacy was extended. Every Democratic talking head and talking point called it homophobia. The issue with Lott was very similar.

BTW, I hope the Senator from Mass will be giving the Governor of Louisiana a call to congratulate her on being a neanderthal.

Nick
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

He didn't call minorities neanderthals. it's as simple as that.

He called the judical nominees neanderthals.

It's pretty benign.

It's funny when conservatives try to decide what's racist so they can spin something into a uproar. Nice try. They had no problems tolerating Jesse Helms for how many years?

yes BUT had the same thing been said, with the same context, by a republican we'd have the "outrage of the week" thread here.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Republicans say stupid things all the time... and there isn't an uproar everytime. They call democrats and liberals traitors and un-american all the time. Like it should be against the law.

But democrats say stupid things too.

If a republican had called a bunch of people of various racial backgrounds neanderthals... I don't think there would be an uproar... I mean not any bigger than the one you guys are making.

But if someone says something racially tainted or prejudiced... on either side... they usually get called on it.

Are you saying that Santorum should be off the hook because it's his religious belief? That he has the moral high ground... so it's cool. Or that tons of people share his attitiude... so what's the big deal?
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Republicans, Democrats, Republicans, Democrats, Republicans, Democrats, Republicans, Democtats, Republicans, Democrats, Republicans, Democrats, Republicans, Demostats, Republicans, Democrats, Republicans, Democrats, Republicans, Democrats....

.................................................. .....

and again, one more time,

Republicans, Democrats, Republicans, Democrats, Republicans, Democrats, Republicans, Democtats, Republicans, Democrats, Republicans, Democrats, Republicans, Demostats, Republicans, Democrats, Republicans, Democrats, Republicans, Democrats....

I can't HEAR YOU!!!

Don't you just love politics

Fellowship
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Sometimes. But this really is going nowhere.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Ok so I was checking out the National Reviews... "the corner" and saw this...

http://www.nationalreview.com/thecor...ive.asp#019856

MORE MAC SOFTNESS [Kathryn Jean Lopez]

"I knew Apple was a Leftist company when I looked at the equalizer presets on my new iPod and found settings for various varieties and sub-varieties of electronica, house, and drum-n-bass, but no setting at all for country music. ;0) (I'm not making this up, btw.)"

Lopez disclosure: I still like Apple better.

Apparently because the iPod doesn't have a preset in the mixer for country... apple is soft and leftie?

IT'S A FRICKING COMPUTER COMPANY!

And what about country music would need it's own setting?

It would be redundant... acoustic, pop or rock would suffice.

Maybe there should be a polka setting and a folk setting too...

or what about Salsa and the Irish Jig?

The more I read there... the more I think TWILIGHT ZONE.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Apple is soft and leftie. So is MS.

But I think it's more relvant to understand that most CSey kids like to listen to that crap: i.e. electronica, and that the people who program iTunes/iPod are indeed CSey.

If I were on the team there would be a "metal" setting though. . . mid range emphasis (1kHz) for wicked power chords.