20" iMac Is Here!

Comments

• Reply 141 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by MISTAKEN MACHINE

DUURRRRL!

Oh god, I've been hunted down and exposed as a...as a ....(dare I say it?) .....BASSIST. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Very, good points there, and I think it is good to emphasize the fact that apple isn't stupid, they wouldn't make this machine if they didn't think there was a market for it, that was substantial enough to warrant making it. hrm, unless they are just trying to move inventory on surplus 20" LCDs...but even then, they know that there are lots of people that love the AIO form but need a lot of Screen space.

Not only that, but in my experience Macs are well known for three things: Music apps, Graphics-based apps, and a warm and fuzzy user-interface. And believe me, that 20" digital monitor is both WARM and VERY FUZZY. Seeing it for the first time reminded me of when I met my wife. I remember thinking, in addition to all of her other wonderful qualities, "Wow, I wouldn't mind waking up next to THAT FACE for the next 40 years or so". The 20" iMac is kinda like that in a weird sort of way.
  • Reply 142 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by it's Fuquatzherald

Not only that, but in my experience Macs are well known for three things: Music apps, Graphics-based apps, and a warm and fuzzy user-interface. And believe me, that 20" digital monitor is both WARM and VERY FUZZY. Seeing it for the first time reminded me of when I met my wife. I remember thinking, in addition to all of her other wonderful qualities, "Wow, I wouldn't mind waking up next to THAT FACE for the next 40 years or so". The 20" iMac is kinda like that in a weird sort of way.

no...YOU'RE kind of weird in that sort of way

• Reply 143 of 177
    If it weren't for my lack of job security I'd be interested in the 20" except for one thing, the 1.25Ghz G4. While I'm sure it performs very well with Panther, the 1.25Ghz G4 is going to seem pretty slow in a year or two when 3+ GHz G5s are released, and you've got this computer with a big gorgeous screen stuck to a processor that's starting to show its age. I guess that's a limiting feature of the AIO rather than this model in particular. Does it still MacOS 9 boot by the way? I'm sure those that have them or are getting them will find they're awesome to watch DVDs on however.
  • Reply 144 of 177
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by s.metcalf

If it weren't for my lack of job security I'd be interested in the 20" except for one thing, the 1.25Ghz G4. While I'm sure it performs very well with Panther, the 1.25Ghz G4 is going to seem pretty slow in a year or two when 3+ GHz G5s are released, and you've got this computer with a big gorgeous screen stuck to a processor that's starting to show its age.

Guaranteed; the 1.25Ghz G4 will still do in two years what it does today. If you don't need a 3+Ghz G5 today, you're not likely to need one in two years. Just a thought.

• Reply 145 of 177
    jginsbujginsbu Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by s.metcalf

While I'm sure it performs very well with Panther, the 1.25Ghz G4 is going to seem pretty slow in a year or two when 3+ GHz G5s are released...

I'm very happy with the performance of my 1.25 GHz iMac. Previously I had been using a 700 MHz eMac, which took care of my needs just fine, but then I moved and left it behind with its owner -- thus necessitating the purchase of a new toy!

Comparing the two, while there was a nice performance jump moving to the iMac, the performance jump upgrading to Panther was at least as nice! At least for the kinds of tasks I'm usually doing, the performance bottleneck lies somewhere between the interface and my brain. Point being: there seems to be a lot of room for performance improvements in OS X (a new Finder, please Apple?!? ), so you can expect the machine to feel faster from that alone, although YMMV of course.

FWIW, I just got though reading this thread, and I've must give due credit to Amorph for his passionate advocacy of for the iMac -- I couldn't have said it better. Keep it up, dude!
  • Reply 146 of 177
    Do the new iMacs still support OS 9 booting? What other computers support OS 9 booting? I remember when Apple tried to prevent OS 9 booting on the latest model G4s before the G5 was released in an attempt to force users (and developers) to adopt OS X, but it seems now that all G4 systems (the towers at least) do support OS 9. I ask this only because I have a couple of games that would not work under Classic in MacOS X and it's also kind of cool to have for nostalgic purposes, but I'd trade a shiny new G5 for that if I could afford one any day.
  • Reply 147 of 177
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    I think the old G4 towers and the old G3 iBooks which are still available at the Apple Store; are the only Macs remaining that boot OS 9. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Reply 148 of 177
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    That's right, Daver.

"Need to use your Mac OS 9 software as well? The eMac lets you do that, too, running all your Mac OS 9 applications in Mac OS X Classic mode."

http://www.apple.com/emac/specs.html
  • Reply 149 of 177
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Methinks they probably also "tightened" the arm on the unit to compensate for the 20"er's weight. It probably moves as smoothly as the other two sizes, but the insides of it have more tensioning.

I saw a 20-incher yesterday at the Southdale Apple store. There was definitely more stiffness to the arm on the 20-inch compared to the 17-inch. Not hard to move by any means, but noticeably not as fluid as the 17- and 15-inch.
  • Reply 150 of 177
    Quote:

Don't you pay attention? It's "spec whore"! I use it all the time. I have to, around here!

Sounds like somebody is protesting too much...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 151 of 177
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    What are you talking about? That doesn't even make sense.
  • Reply 152 of 177
    No doubt. Are you high Bon Bon?
  • Reply 153 of 177
    I picked up my new 20" iMac on Friday, and I have to say it's the perfect machine for what I'm doing. When running music notation software on it, it runs plenty fast, and I'm able to see two entire pages on the screen at a time, which has always been a dream of mine. I have yet to find any faults with the iMac, although I realize that may change. For now at least, the honeymoon is still in full bloom.
  • Reply 154 of 177
    Here are some pictures I found. Note how much thicker the display is!

• Reply 155 of 177
    Here are some pictures I found. Note how much thicker the display is!

• Reply 156 of 177
    OMG I want one.

WOW.
  • Reply 157 of 177
    Agreed!

God how does that thing not fall over?

• Reply 158 of 177
    Quote:

God how does that thing not fall over?

most people don't notice that there's a long poll attached to the underside of the base that is screwed into the floor.
  • Reply 159 of 177
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Nice find TWinbrook46636!

The base must be filled with lead or something. Pretty impressive piece of design!
  • Reply 160 of 177
    i think the rez could be higher, with the 20", but then again I think the 15" PB and especially the 17" PB need upgraded resolutions also...

hopefully this will be addressed someday...

perhaps not.