Would you buy a 20-inch PowerBook?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    My back hurts just thinking about trying to lift it. So I guess I would go with no. However an 8" portable would be rather interesting.
  • Reply 42 of 62
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I need to preface the following with a disclaimer that, yes, I'm very well aware that it is MOSR and, no, I don't believe anything they say and that I mostly look to them for chuckles and so forth.

Having said that...

According to MOSR:

Quote:

As far as laptop screen resolution is concerned, the Powerbook G5 will more than satisfy any concerns on that front. Many reports now suggest that most if not the entire pro laptop lineup will be completely revamped from head to toe, including entirely new display panels. Although this is speculative, our best guess right now is three new models, including: 13.5-inch widescreen, 1280x854; 15.8-inch 1440x900; 17-inch 1920x1200. All models would show noticeable contrast and clarity improvements over the past generation in addition to the significant size and resolution increases.

Now let's just set aside for one second the fact that they are, of course, completely full of shit and are, most likely, making up all the above.

For a few moments, let's pretend they actually have a clue: that would certainly be a cool line-up, particularly a 13" widescreen (ahem...) at the resolution I'm currently using on this 15".

That might be small, though. I don't know.

Oh well...good thing it's MOSR. That way we know it'll never come to exist anyway!

• Reply 43 of 62
    no
  • Reply 44 of 62
    i think, this thread is getting too much flack, but I do not think this idea is that far fetched...

20" maybe a lot considering we are only at 17", but if Apple wants to stay 'ahead' of the game per se, then true radical and forward thinking is what is required...

maybe 20" is too much, right now, for a portable, how about 18" or maybe Apple should just increase the quality of their current LCDs...as PB screens pretty much suck right now when considering the specs, (nits, contrast ratio, resolution etc..) moreover Sony Vaio screens seem to be the best on the market nowadays...have you seen the newer screens, they are so nice....

in the end I think 20" is not out of the question...

I think the only way a 20" PB will work is if it was less than a 1" thick....however I think the current physical dimensions of hardware today prevents this..i.e. hardrive....

what if Apple released a 20" PB that was 0.5" thin (as opposed to 1" thick?), and weighed the same or even less than the current 17" PB at 6.9 lbs? This would quell some of the weight and maybe also some of the portability concerns....BTW this would be a really cool machine...as it would perhaps also allow a numeric keypad....so fullsize keyboard, actually means FULLSIZE KEYBOARD....

remember...

Think Different.
  • Reply 45 of 62
    I have the 15" AlPB and I think this is an interesting idea. The space that the 20" will afford opens up allot of possibilities: dual HD, dual processors, larger more powerful battery, nicer speakers, full size keyboard, etc. One thing of concern, given the likely expense of this machine, would be the graphics card. It should to be easily upgradable so as to increase the "investment value" of the machine. So, if in two years time something like this appears I would be very interested. Especially if it's running a G5/G6 on a fuel cell battery. :P
  • Reply 46 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by majorspunk

Especially if it's running a G5/G6 on a fuel cell battery. :P

This is going to be standard with the Quad G8 PB Au
  • Reply 47 of 62
    Forget the 20" PowerBook, what about a 22" iPod? It could have a colour screen, and an absolutely huge scrollwheel. Just think, you'd finally be able to get a list of playlists and be able to read the entire labels.

Sure, you wouldn't be able to put it into your pocket any more, but you could style it as a hat with integrated headphones.

That would be shweeet.

I'll get my coat...
  • Reply 48 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by peharri

Forget the 20" PowerBook, what about a 22" iPod? It could have a colour screen, and an absolutely huge scrollwheel. Just think, you'd finally be able to get a list of playlists and be able to read the entire labels.

Sure, you wouldn't be able to put it into your pocket any more, but you could style it as a hat with integrated headphones.

That would be shweeet.

I'll get my coat...

regardless i think a 20" "something or rather" is still possible...

please let it be a PB...
  • Reply 49 of 62
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    A 20" powerbook is still too small. It's supposed to be a desktop replacement. Where's the 23" powerbook? There should be enough space inside for quad G4's and 256 MB VRAM. They could also put a couple of wheels on it and a luggage strap to carry your suitcases into the airport. I'd buy it.

• Reply 50 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Say Apple made such a portable. Would you buy it? Would it be practical?

NO!
  • Reply 51 of 62
    Hmmmm

very doubtful...I am getting a 17" Powerbook for a specific video project I'm working on out of country, I'm worried its going to be too big to lug around...but I really want as much screen realestate as possible on something that is technically portable.

I have a question though:

Is there enough space inside a 17" powerbook for Apple to put in 2 G4 chips? I'm guessing the next revision would have either a dual G4 chip or a degraded G5 chip.
  • Reply 52 of 62
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I must be the first person ever to wish death to their own thread.
  • Reply 53 of 62
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, but then you go and ask "will Apple put a G5 in the MDD case...".

What's with you and these far-out questions lately?

"Will the iSight ever come in Strawberry?"

"Would you buy a 5MB iPod?"

"Will OS XI have an upside-down trashcan?"

• Reply 54 of 62
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Yeah, but then you go and ask "will Apple put a G5 in the MDD case...".

What's with you and these far-out questions lately?

"Will the iSight ever come in Strawberry?"

"Would you buy a 5MB iPod?"

"Will OS XI have an upside-down trashcan?"

I must be sleep deprived! Yeah...that's it...
  • Reply 55 of 62
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by guest

A 20" powerbook is still too small. It's supposed to be a desktop replacement. Where's the 23" powerbook? There should be enough space inside for quad G4's and 256 MB VRAM. They could also put a couple of wheels on it and a luggage strap to carry your suitcases into the airport. I'd buy it.

Indeed, why stop at a deskTOP replacement? Give it fold-down legs and let it replace the whole desk! Let it have quad G5's and replace your space heater too!
  • Reply 56 of 62
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    If the Powerbook's scren could roll up into a small package (one of those OLEDs), I might buy it.
  • Reply 57 of 62
    well, I think money should be put in developing powerbooks else where.

Why not advertise that the Video card/ processor/ and other components of the portable are all upgradeable. A standard needs to be made for portable AGP. Why not just have the video card on a daughter card that can be unplugged?

When this is the case, I think the powerbook will come closer to being the desktop replacement.

-walloo.
  • Reply 58 of 62
    The 20" Powerbook would be loved by the Hollywood film crowd, however a new definition of the "key grip" would be necessary to haul it around for the producers and editors. 8) 8)
  • Reply 59 of 62
    YES
  • Reply 60 of 62
    something bigger than 17" will be viable, sooner than later.

Whether Apple does it first is debatable.