Next PowerBook Rev. When, What

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 62
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

With no visible speed bumps for the existing G4, it looks like they would not be able to update more than the hard disk and/or the graphics chip. But if I remember correctly, this happened again with the Pismo, just before the advent of the first Powerbook G4. Is that what you believe will happen?

Yup. Like Amorph has said, it's happened before (like your example of the Pismo), and it will probably happen again.

After the 15" and 17" PowerBooks go G5, I wouldn't be surprised to see the iBooks and 12" PowerBooks go, let's call it "G5 Lite", at the same time or shortly after. An iBook faster than a PowerBook 17" wouldn't be a good image for Apple lol... and motherboard designs, while easier that chipset designs, are still complex (even more so in a PowerBook).

Barto
  • Reply 62 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ompus

I know the G5 powerbook will come. But I think that time is far enough away to require the next Powerbook upgrade to remain G4 based.

Along those lines, I think we'll see a powerbook with a redsigned mobo that makes use of L3 cache, bumps the system bus to 200 mhz, and maybe, just maybe, increases chip speeds to 1.4 Ghz.

This won't be the longest lived powerbook model...but I suggest investment costs will recouped by using it as the basis for the next iBook, once the G5 is ready to handle the Powerbook.

It will come alot sooner than you think. My perdiction is 6 to 12 months.