Ultimate ipod car dock !

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hello.

This is so insanely simple that I can´t believe no one thought about it before.

No more cup holders, swivelling plastic clips...etc.

Simplicity ....

It´s just a flexible neck, with an ipod dock on one end and a power adapter on the other.

And to top it all , the power adapter has a audio out jack to you can conect your itrip, cassete adapter ...or whatever.

Take a look and tell me what you think...please.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    I like it so much, I just filed for a patent on it.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    Tweaked the image a bit...

Still looks good ! ;-)
  • Reply 3 of 52
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    How does the flexible metal neck connect to the dock connector?
  • Reply 4 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

How does the flexible metal neck connect to the dock connector?

It´s all in one piece.

The plastic dock has the flexible cable terminator built in.

The cables ( Power and audio travel inside the flexible neck).

I'll tweak the image for some clearer illustration...
  • Reply 5 of 52
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    interesting idea. you really ought to look into a petent of some sort just because someone else probably will steal your idea otherwise.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    I like it but I'd need the arm to be pretty short. My cigarette lighter is located in front of the shifter, in that little bay. So I'd want the arm short to stay below all the controls and CD player.

But thats just me.

• Reply 7 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

interesting idea. you really ought to look into a petent of some sort just because someone else probably will steal your idea otherwise.

- Thanks Rageous. I don´t aspire to built it here in Europe. But I would be interested in seeing it done...

- Willoughby...I drive a VW Golf and the interior is just like yours...so I know what you mean...

Tweaked the image some more...added copyright ... just for fun

• Reply 8 of 52
    who's going to cover the costs of replacing cigarette lighters in cars? this will put some strain on that item. i agree with making it 4 inches long.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Willoughby

I like it but I'd need the arm to be pretty short. My cigarette lighter is located in front of the shifter, in that little bay. So I'd want the arm short to stay below all the controls and CD player.

But thats just me.

That's what my cabin looks like!!!
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Hey Filmmaker, have you checked out my website?

vegan film
  • Reply 11 of 52
    nice tak, did you shoot that here in Milwaukee?
  • Reply 12 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by nsousansousa

- Willoughby...I drive a VW Golf and the interior is just like yours...so I know what you mean...

That means you drive an MK4 (99-03 Jettas and Golfs). You should figure out some way of making this work with our in-dash cd players. You know there's adapters that let you hook the iPod up to the back of the CD-Player or to the adapter in the trunk so it acts like a CD-Changer. That would be pretty cool.

The adapter I was talking about
  • Reply 13 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Willoughby

That means you drive an MK4 (99-03 Jettas and Golfs). You should figure out some way of making this work with our in-dash cd players. You know there's adapters that let you hook the iPod up to the back of the CD-Player or to the adapter in the trunk so it acts like a CD-Changer. That would be pretty cool.

The adapter I was talking about

Yeah...The thing is that cigarette lighters are available in every car.

I guess only the size of the neck would have to be different for diferent makes.

I added a hand to the picture to illustrate the ease of use with one of these. I think the neat thing is to really use the ipod OS not just change tracks as you would with pre-installed steering wheel buttons.

:-)
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Yep, shot right here in Milwaukee. Are you working on any projects?
  • Reply 15 of 52
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Cool design. This works great for existing car stereo setups.

But what about folks buying a new car or even a new stereo? It seems to me that there is a market for an in-dash unit that would be a docking station for the iPod. No wires, no flexible neck etc. Just jam yer pod into a slot and pow! it's connected and ready to go. Controlled via buttons etc on the face of the in-dash unit or on the steering wheel if it came from the factory. Obviously this would be an Apple thing probably in cooperation with a major car stereo mfg. like Pioneer etc.

I'm kindof surprised that Apple did the sloppy VW beetle promotion deal with the loose wires and the cassette transducer - ecchh what a mess, not very Apple like at all.

Anyone else think an in-dash dock would be good?
  • Reply 16 of 52
    Quote:

Yeah...The thing is that cigarette lighters are available in every car.

I guess only the size of the neck would have to be different for diferent makes.

If the neck could expand and collapse than it would kick ass. That way you wouldn't have to sell multiple versions.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by WelshDog

Cool design. This works great for existing car stereo setups.

But what about folks buying a new car or even a new stereo? It seems to me that there is a market for an in-dash unit that would be a docking station for the iPod. No wires, no flexible neck etc. Just jam yer pod into a slot and pow! it's connected and ready to go. Controlled via buttons etc on the face of the in-dash unit or on the steering wheel if it came from the factory. Obviously this would be an Apple thing probably in cooperation with a major car stereo mfg. like Pioneer etc.

I'm kindof surprised that Apple did the sloppy VW beetle promotion deal with the loose wires and the cassette transducer - ecchh what a mess, not very Apple like at all.

Anyone else think an in-dash dock would be good?

You mean .... the DashDock ??? ;-)

Work in progress...

• Reply 18 of 52
    maybe something a little smaller than that, and the ipod would probably have to go in dock end first
  • Reply 19 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by sworthy

maybe something a little smaller than that, and the ipod would probably have to go in dock end first

It's a sucking-mechanism dock. Like the Powerbooks CD drive.

I'm really no good at designing car stereos, so the front panel would have to be redesigned "Apple" style. ;-)
  • Reply 20 of 52
    Quote:

You mean .... the DashDock ??? ;-)

Work in progress...

If i got how this works, the iPod would need to go in dock port first. Yes?